PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get internet?????

12-25-2005, 04:59 PM
I have a main family computer on the first floor of my house. I just got a computer for the second story which I will use mainly for poker. I already have a wireless conection set up for my laptop, but it is unreliable, sometimes being full strength, other times not being able to connect at all. I went as far as buying a range expander which makes the signal stronger when I can get a connection, but I still can't always get one. What is the best way to get a reliable internet connection? I don't think getting a 70ft phoneline cord would help if I were to hook it up to my modem. Thanks

smoore
12-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Ethernet. How does the main computer connect to the internet?

12-25-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ethernet. How does the main computer connect to the internet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Cable modem. What is ethernet?

12-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Ethernet cabling are the cables that connect the cable modem to the computer.

Buy a router, connect the cable modem to the WAN port, and connect both computers to the router using Ethernet cabling. This is the safest way to connect to the Internet for novice users. Wireless Internet sucks for online poker play, so run cable up the walls or down vents (if it doesn't violate building codes).

12-25-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ethernet cabling are the cables that connect the cable modem to the computer.

Buy a router, connect the cable modem to the WAN port, and connect both computers to the router using Ethernet cabling. This is the safest way to connect to the Internet for novice users. Wireless Internet sucks for online poker play, so run cable up the walls or down vents (if it doesn't violate building codes).

[/ QUOTE ]
I heard the signal dies, plus I don't know how I would run wires from oppisite ends of a large house

12-25-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I heard the signal dies, plus I don't know how I would run wires from oppisite ends of a large house

[/ QUOTE ]

The signal dies from Ethernet cabling? You do realize that cable wires are run hundreds of miles across the country without significant signal loss, right? We're talking 100 feet or so.

If you don't want to run cabling, then wireless is the only option you have. Which sucks. So either put up with a bit of trouble now and wire it (which is infinitely more reliable and faster) or stick with wireless connections that drop out during hands.

12-26-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The signal dies from Ethernet cabling? You do realize that cable wires are run hundreds of miles across the country without significant signal loss, right? We're talking 100 feet or so.

If you don't want to run cabling, then wireless is the only option you have. Which sucks. So either put up with a bit of trouble now and wire it (which is infinitely more reliable and faster) or stick with wireless connections that drop out during hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Alright you sound like you know what you are talking about. I have a cable modem hooked up to my downstairs computer. To run it upstairs, do I just need to buy a very long cable cord? Do I need another modem? Thanks a lot

12-26-2005, 02:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

The signal dies from Ethernet cabling? You do realize that cable wires are run hundreds of miles across the country without significant signal loss, right? We're talking 100

[/ QUOTE ]

umm im sorry but where in the world does ethernet cables run for hundreds of miles.......
ISPs do not use ethernet to transfer the datastream to your house it comes through an extremely high amplified line that is not even close to an ethernet cable, it then goes into a tap in your basement and then into a coaxial cable up to your modem......
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR AN ETHERNET CABLE TO GO OVER 300 FEET
in my expierence it will not last 70
we had an electrician string ethernet lines throughout our house and after weeks of frustration we found that the only line that worked was about 30feet of cable....and the next closest was a 70foot line that would not work (we were using cat5e ethernet cable in case u were wondering)

needless to say we went to wireless and i have never had a problem whatsoever

mine is reliable (although i have seen some that arent)
and all are just as fast for accessing the internet as a etherenet line would be because you probabaly only have about a 6mbs connection from your ISP unless your paying over 300$ a month just for one line

please do not answer questions when you dont know what you are talking about

12-26-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ISPs do not use ethernet to transfer the datastream to your house it comes through an extremely high amplified line that is not even close to an ethernet cable, it then goes into a tap in your basement and then into a coaxial cable up to your modem......

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding, genius.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And where exactly did the OP say that it was going 300 feet?

[ QUOTE ]
please do not answer questions when you dont know what you are talking about

[/ QUOTE ]

So I suppose the fact that I am a network technician and have installed several business applications for networks has no bearing on this, right? One of us is speaking with correct punctuation and is relating the skills to the OP so he/she can understand it well enough, and one of us can't be bothered to eloquate his thoughts with any intelligence whatsoever. I could go into specifics of signal loss and need of repeaters over distance and other technical terms, but for the specifics that the OP needs to know, I am wording it so he/she understands.

12-26-2005, 06:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright you sound like you know what you are talking about. I have a cable modem hooked up to my downstairs computer. To run it upstairs, do I just need to buy a very long cable cord? Do I need another modem? Thanks a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a router? If not, buy a decent 10/100/1000 router (I recommend Linksys products for beginners), connect the modem to your WAN port on the router, then connect each computer to the other ports on the router. Setup should be quite simple, as the router should automatically configure everything you need for a basic cable connection.

smoore
12-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Some cable companies get draconian about routers, they want to charge you per computer on the network. I recommend plugging the allowed computer into a LAN port on the router and doing the "MAC clone" before plugging the WAN port into the cable modem. Don't worry if those terms don't make sense, it's explained in the manual.

Percula
12-26-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

in my expierence it will not last 70
we had an electrician string ethernet lines throughout our house and after weeks of frustration we found that the only line that worked was about 30feet of cable....and the next closest was a 70foot line that would not work (we were using cat5e ethernet cable in case u were wondering)

[/ QUOTE ]

Then your expirence is not typical. The idea that a ethernet cable is only reliable for a 70' is laughable to say the least.

Next time you have Cat5 installed have it done by someone that has a clue.

12-27-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And where exactly did the OP say that it was going 300 feet?

[/ QUOTE ]
umm you were the one that said it goes hundreds of miles as i recall.

so i ask Mr. Internet technition

Where in the world does etheret cable stretch from hundreds of miles

12-27-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
umm you were the one that said it goes hundreds of miles as i recall.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please drive through, moron.

fluxrad
12-27-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Where in the world does etheret cable stretch from hundreds of miles

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I think it may be in my data center /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Also, you would be wise to remember the quote, "'tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The maximum distance rating for Category 5e cable is 350m, not 300 feet.

12-27-2005, 12:37 AM
so what you are saying

is that your sentence had NO relevance to what the topic was about

12-27-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so what you are saying

is that your sentence had NO relevance to what the topic was about

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called a comparison. Nice way to ignore the fact that you proved yourself an idiot, though.

12-27-2005, 01:54 AM
let me get this striaght
you are comparing ethernet cat5 cable to coaxial cable.............what do those two have in common........they both have a rubber coating i guess..........is that what you were saying im still confused

and for they guy that told me to get the cat5 done by someone who had a clue<---we had it installed by an electrician and then looked at by another once it didnt work....

and im going out of town for a week so sorry i wont be able to agrue with you idoits for a while

12-27-2005, 02:58 AM
If you're going to buy a long ethernet cable (which I think is the best thing to do), you can order them here:

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200071+502374&Ne=502369

Not sure if these are the BEST prices-- but I've found Compusa to usually have very low prices on all types of cables.

You'll be looking for a Cat-5e RJ-45 cable.

12-27-2005, 03:25 AM
Thanks for all the input, I just found out doing wired isn't really gona be possible so I went out and boguht the netgear range max router to replace a 54mpbs linksys, and wireless is working great...(knock on wood)

wonderwes
12-27-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the input, I just found out doing wired isn't really gona be possible so I went out and boguht the netgear range max router to replace a 54mpbs linksys, and wireless is working great...(knock on wood)

[/ QUOTE ]

A netgear runs good, but the Linksys wrt54g router is almost rock solid. I know people that have had issues with the netgear. See how it works out for you.

Mempho
12-28-2005, 11:30 AM
I don't claim to be an expert on this so someone can correct me if I am wrong here, but....I have found that one of the key differences in the reliability of wireless connectivity is the whether the computer uses a plug-in wireless card or has Centrino internal wireless. I am an auditor and we frequently work with laptops out in the field. We also utilize an application called Citrix that requires a nearly uninterrupted internet stream (unlike browsing and much like an online poker client). Citrix normally "drops out" several times a day on those with plug-in wireless cards while the people with Centrino seem to have very few problems.

Does anyone have any experience to back up or dispute this?

vulturesrow
12-28-2005, 03:19 PM
It sounds like your setup is similar to mine with a computer and router downstairs, laptop with card upstairs. I didnt have any signal trouble with mine at all. My card and router are Dlink and came packaged together. The card is the DWL-G630(ver C2) but I cant remember the router model offhand. I wonder if you had some RF conflict going on that the stronger outut router was able to overcome.