PDA

View Full Version : ? about Connect 4

12-25-2005, 03:16 PM
First Merry Christmas. Ok, so earlier the this morning I was playing Connect 4 with my little sister and got to thinking if there is something to whom ever goes first. I am wondering if there is something to this? I am sure you are all farmilar with this game is uses two color chips Red/Black and the playing board is 7 squares wide and 6 tall. And also is there any certain kind strategy other than just traping your opponent much like poker? Any ideas?
Thanks

d10
12-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I've heard that if the first to act plays a perfect strategy, it's been proven that he will always win, but I imagine that strategy gets pretty complicated so I never bothered to learn it, or even verify if that information is correct.

pzhon
12-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, there is a bit more strategy. Connect 4 is a type of game that fits into what is called Combinatorial Game Theory, and you can use some of the ideas from CGT to describe the endgame.

On the other hand, the game is small enough to be solved, and has been. See the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect_Four) article.