PDA

View Full Version : Small pairs on the Button

pufferfish
07-27-2003, 01:56 PM
Loose and passive game texture.

Blinds don’t tend to raise pre-flop.

Two callers to you.

SB may or may not complete. Only four (including you) guaranteed to see the flop.

Fold your 3’s and move on or play?

TC,
pf

Jeffage
07-27-2003, 02:11 PM
Call.

Jeff

JohnShaft
07-27-2003, 02:12 PM
I'd only consider playing this if the players didn't raise preflop but were very aggressive post (and particlarly on the) flop.

It just doesn't sound like a good spot to make money flopping a set with short odds.

pufferfish
07-27-2003, 02:26 PM
I'd only consider playing this if the players didn't raise preflop but were very aggressive post (and particlarly on the) flop.

You make a good point. The game that finally prompted this post was pretty passive pre-flop. Post-flop there were a couple of aggressive types and a couple of calling station types that would pay you off pretty well.

TY,
pf

pufferfish
07-27-2003, 02:28 PM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dynasty
07-27-2003, 02:44 PM
If you fold 33 in this spot, just quit playing poker today. You haven't got the heart.

pufferfish
07-27-2003, 02:57 PM
If you fold 33 in this spot, just quit playing poker today. You haven't got the heart.

Sometimes I have more heart than brains and sometimes it’s the other way around.

I have so many poker does and don’t swirling around my little pea brain that I get confused.

Do this; Ok that seems intuitive. Do that, umm OK; even though it’s not intuitive.

You need more callers for small pairs, except in XYZ situation. The more I play the less I know, the more I know, the less I know. Help I can’t wake up!

Thank you for replying.

TC,
pf

Dynasty
07-27-2003, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need more callers for small pairs, except in XYZ situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember, profitably playing pocket pairs has little to do with pre-flop pot odds. Their profitability is almost entirely determined by having opponents who will pay you off for multiple bets post-flop when you make a set.

pufferfish
07-27-2003, 03:42 PM
TC,
pf

rkiray
07-27-2003, 05:11 PM
The normal rule of thumb I use here is I would always call with pair 66 or better and raise with TT or better. Since you describe the game as passive I would not play a pair lower than 66. Pairs prefer an aggressive game so you make more money when you flop a set. Suited connectors do better in the game you describe.

pufferfish
07-27-2003, 05:31 PM
If you have some calling stations in your game and they will see the river with you, is that not just as good?

TY,
pf

Ulysses
07-27-2003, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold your 3’s and move on or play?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a pair. You have the button. What more do you need to play?

pufferfish
07-27-2003, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have a pair. You have the button. What more do you need to play?

[/ QUOTE ]
OK. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you,
pf

Ed Miller
07-27-2003, 06:13 PM
I can't think of a game where I would fold here.

rkiray
07-27-2003, 09:18 PM
I don't think so. When I flop a set I want to get action from anyone with a bigger pair, good draw,etc. I want the passive players when I'm playing suited connectors and flop either an oesd or a four flush. This way I don't have to pay much to draw (or if there are 3 or more or them I can jam the pot and be showing a profit statistacally). BTW I'll only flop a set 11.5% of the time. I'll flop the big draw over 20% of the time.

Homer
07-27-2003, 09:38 PM
Easy call, puffer.

-- Homer