PDA

View Full Version : ($22): ATo facing mini-raise from button

45suited
12-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Your play here? I thought of pushing, calling, or pulling a stop-n-go. Filthy mini-raisers. Results posted later.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com (http://www.pregopoker.com/hhconv/convert)

UTG (t1655)
CO (t1930)
Button (t2580)
SB (t830)
Hero (t1005)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises t300</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero ?

ravensfan
12-24-2005, 05:54 PM
fwiw i put most big stack min raisers on constant blind stealing... try to steal often for cheap if i see a lot of min raises. if it's the first or second, i'm suspecting top 4 pair/AK-AQ, he might be bluff inducing.

All this if he's been big stack and playing reasonably for a while. If he just won a big pot, then he might be stealing.

So, read dependent. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

otctrader
12-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Maybe I'm too aggressive in these spots, but unless you have a psycho-aggro image or know this guy to be very tight, I'd shove, and also call a push by him for that matter.

Calling out of position stinks with 7bb's, and I don't think the SNG is effective enough versus a minraising donk.

45suited
12-24-2005, 07:16 PM
Okay, not many responses. Anyway, I have little respect for mini-raises... I thought that this was a perfect spot for a stop-n-go.

After I hit TP on the flop, I just check-raised all-in. But stop-n-go was the plan. I thought it was an interesting pre-flop decision anyway.

In retrospect, I think his stack was too big to expect a stop-n-go to work. It's more of a push / fold pre-flop decision.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com (http://www.pregopoker.com/hhconv/convert)
UTG (t1655)
CO (t1930)
Button (t2580)
SB (t830)
Hero (t1005)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="red">Button raises t300</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t150

Flop: (t675) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">Button bets t150</font>, <font color="red">Hero bets t705 (All-in)</font>, Button calls t555

Turn: (t2085) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)

River: (t2085) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)

Button shows [ Qc, Jc ] high card king.
HERO shows [ As, Td ] a pair of tens.
HERO wins 2085 chips from the main pot with a pair of tens.

ravensfan
12-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Funny, the SNG was completely lost on button, but the intuition worked that he was donkish... I guess i should stop respecting min raises as my default then. I just always thought it could be a trap... any intuition on when it might be a trap or a donk-off?

Snarf
12-24-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Funny, the SNG was completely lost on button, but the intuition worked that he was donkish... I guess i should stop respecting min raises as my default then. I just always thought it could be a trap... any intuition on when it might be a trap or a donk-off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a toss up. I think I might have stop'n'goed in that spot too...

or pushed if I thought he would fold if he was behind. (don't remember chip stacks - sorry)

SCfuji
12-24-2005, 08:05 PM
hey suited

less than 7bb - suited junk, connectors, pairs, plus the good stuff
7bb-12bb - at least AK or AQs
greater than 12bb - suited junk, connectors, pairs, plus the good stuff

just an opinion.

45suited
12-24-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hey suited

less than 7bb - suited junk, connectors, pairs, plus the good stuff
7bb-12bb - at least AK or AQs
greater than 12bb - suited junk, connectors, pairs, plus the good stuff

just an opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you referring to when you mention these hands?

do you agree with a stop-n-go vs a bigstack button mini-raise here?

RobGW
12-24-2005, 08:37 PM
I'd just push PF here. AT is too good a hand given your situation and buttons likely stealing. Stop and go isn't a bad alternative though.

Taraz
12-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I would just push pf. You're probably ahead and there is no reason to let him get a chance at hitting the flop for free.

curtains
12-26-2005, 12:21 AM
I would definitely move allin. 700 more chips provides folding equity and your hand is too good. Folding is completely terrible. stop+go isnt terrible but I believe you have too much PF fold equity.

Snarf
12-26-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely move allin. 700 more chips provides folding equity and your hand is too good. Folding is completely terrible. stop+go isnt terrible but I believe you have too much PF fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you add in the FE of a missed better ace by villian post-flop...Do you still think AI PF best?

Or does that added FE of getting a better hand get balanced by the times that the villain hits with a worse hand?

curtains
12-26-2005, 12:30 AM
I think allin preflop is clearly the best, I would never stop and go in a spot like this. I never use a stop and go when the chips are so deep, your opponent could easily fold preflop. I only use it in more desperate situations. Also I see very little reason to expect the opponent to have a better ace, and they will often call with it postflop anyway.

45suited
12-26-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think allin preflop is clearly the best, I would never stop and go in a spot like this. I never use a stop and go when the chips are so deep, your opponent could easily fold preflop. I only use it in more desperate situations. Also I see very little reason to expect the opponent to have a better ace, and they will often call with it postflop anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually just push in spots like this. The play of the hand bore out why. Villain mini-bet the flop and still didn't have the smarts to fold to my push. So a stop-n-go probably ain't working anyway.

Thing is, facing a bigstack mini-raise from the button, I might have some FE pre-flop, but the more important reason to push is that I probably have the better hand.

Snarf
12-26-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Good points.

I think I've just had a short-term run of people min-raising big hands.