PDA

View Full Version : "Fahrenheit 451" DVD Movie Review

Mark Heide
07-26-2003, 11:28 PM
I believe this is Truffaut's only English language movie. It's in color from 1966 and is based on Ray Bradbury's novel of the same name. It's classified as a science fiction film but it really is a film about a man falling in love with books (just the kind of film John Cole would enjoy).

The story is about firemen that no longer put out fires but burn books because books are forbidden to read. Eventually, one of the fireman, Oscar, gets curious and sneaks books home to read.

What I think is great about this film is how it really predicts the future of our society concerning technology and political correctness. One of the fireman states that people get upset when they read books, so that's why we get rid of them.

In Oscars home is a widescreen television that hangs on the wall which is now the technology of today.

The DVD version includes an interview with Ray Bradbury, the making of Fahrenheit 451, the music of Fahrenheit 451, and features a commentary with Julie Christie.

After watching the movie, I suggest watching it again with Christie's commentary. I believe the issues presented in this film are applicable to today.

Good Luck

Mark

Wake up CALL
07-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Book was good, movie is stodgy and boring.

Mark Heide
07-28-2003, 04:34 AM
Wake up CALL,

I can accept the opinion of this movie being boring in places, but I think it's really the directors intention to move at a slow pace. For example, when Oscar sneaks out of bed and slowly goes through the ritual of reading. I think this is appropriate since reading is forbidden. And he does read very slowly, it's almost like making love. Furthermore, I think if you viewed it a second time you may pick up more information on what this film is about. I highly recommend that if you truly think it is boring, to watch the movie with the commentary sound track turned on. You may gain some additional insights on the film. I will admit that watching a movie about someone that falls in love with books may be boring, but I think it is a film about the freedom to do as you please irregardless of the consequences.