PDA

View Full Version : QQ: call, call, call, call

rtucker5
07-26-2003, 07:52 PM
3/6 game on Party.

Seemingly sane UTG raises and it's folded to me in the BB with QQ. I decide to just call.

Flop A 9 9

Check, bet, call.

Turn 4 (A 9 9)

Check, bet, call.

River 4 (A 9 9 4)

Check, bet, call.

What do you think?

Ed Miller
07-26-2003, 07:55 PM
What do you think?

I think you lost.

rtucker5
07-26-2003, 08:03 PM
How would you have played it differently and why?

GrinningBuddha
07-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Seemingly sane UTG players will raise with AK, AQ, AA, KK, QQ, JJ, and perhaps TT. You lose to the vast majority of these hands once the flop hits. If you want to be more certain, try check-raising the flop. If you get 3-bet, you can toss it there, or check-fold the turn.

The only time I could see check-call being the optimal play is if the UTG player is a notorious bluffer. If you raise him, he may fold, whereas if you call him down, you'll make the most if you're good, and lose the least if you're not.

Ed Miller
07-26-2003, 08:25 PM
How I play this hand depends drastically on the tendencies of my opponent. Many opponents will basically tell you on the flop whether your hand is good or not if you bet into him. Other opponents will bet the flop without an Ace, but then check behind on the turn. Against these opponents, you should call the flop and fold to a turn bet. If your opponent checks behind on the turn then you should bet the river.

Against a strong-playing opponent, you are in trouble here. You are out of position with a marginal hand in a small pot. If you just check-folded the flop, it wouldn't be a disaster. The reason why is that you won't be able to determine if your hand is good or not early on in the hand. Your strong-playing opponent will then use his position to make sure that he gets in an extra bet when he is ahead and saves an extra bet when he is behind. Since the pot starts out so small (and your chances of having the best hand on the flop are probably less than 50% to begin with), you can't afford to lose this extra bet every time you are behind.

Given the action, it is very likely that your hand is no good.

LondonBroil
07-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Did it cross your mind to 3-bet pre-flop?