PDA

View Full Version : Table selection- Do you avoid people on the Leaderboard?

AA suited
12-24-2005, 01:32 AM
if i dont remember how they play, and since the tables fill up too quickly to review Notes, i will usually find another table.

How about you?

ilya
12-24-2005, 01:34 AM
I feel that I'm better than most of the TLB players at my level by a wide enough margin that I don't lose much by sitting with them. At the same time I don't think the margin is so large that they have nothing to teach me. So I sit with them readily.

This may well change once I'm playing the $100s+, though. Then again, maybe not. I'm willing to take a hit to my hourly rate if it'll help me improve.

citanul
12-24-2005, 01:35 AM
eh, if you don't remember how they play, and the tables fill up fast, why not avoid them?

c

ps: i used to do this and now don't as much. i'll avoid tables with like 4 of you morons at them.

yvesaint
12-24-2005, 01:36 AM
the only TLB name that i recognize that ive played w/is McShove, and i dont mind him at my table at all

who else plays the 55s on the TLB?

12-24-2005, 01:37 AM
I have lots of notes marking people as being on the leaderboard for X month, etc... and if I play against them a lot, specific notes on their play...

But at the higher buy-in SNGs, I usually feel fine as long as the table doesn't have more than 5 other people that I have noted as good/decent.

I don't think that 1 player, no matter how good they are, really decreases your earn much...

KingDan
12-24-2005, 01:55 AM
I assume +ev no matter where I sit at my level so I don't worry about it.

A handful of times I have changed seats before a tournament started to get on a good player's left.

pergesu
12-24-2005, 01:56 AM
If you're not avoiding me you're playing -EV poker.

Bonafone
12-24-2005, 02:35 AM
no way, i avoid good players. i was top ten on the leaderboard in a month and I'm only mediocre. the players to watch out for are the solid 4 tablers, but you most likely won't ever recognize them if you are playing more than 4 tables.

ZBTHorton
12-24-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the only TLB name that i recognize that ive played w/is McShove, and i dont mind him at my table at all

who else plays the 55s on the TLB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fischenstein, XXTabiasXX, me(I'm like 125), lots of others.

z32fanatic
12-24-2005, 02:40 AM
My general rule is if there are 2 solid players, I don't sit down. There are so many new tourneys opening it's silly to sit with more than one. By solid I mean about 5 or 6 players at the 109s.

redsoxsox
12-24-2005, 02:41 AM
Theres a couple people I try to avoid like Red8456, and DOyouseewhy and a few others but for the most part no

AA suited
12-24-2005, 12:24 PM
interesting... pokerprophecy has r_su_27 at 39% ITM over 3k games. but i dont think he's that great. is it just me?

Marnixvdb
12-24-2005, 12:30 PM
he's good, not great

ClockWyze
12-24-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My general rule is if there are 2 solid players, I don't sit down. There are so many new tourneys opening it's silly to sit with more than one. By solid I mean about 5 or 6 players at the 109s.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same at the 55s

If there are two or more of the following.. I will wait

z32fanatic4 (didn't know you were 2+2 till now)
bad_egg
fishenstien
XxTabiasxX
Shipitholla
hundoanhour
TheSaladFork
MCBizzo
DoYouSeeWhy
okemosgod
NoFearHelps
SevnFigures
ThatsTheGame
chnkylover57
Green_Smurf
Rlxtn_Thrpst
volarous
Chevy_Nado
Polopony_

There are more..

most of these players have moved up to the 100's and I have even seen ShipItHolla and XxTabiasxX in the step 4's

- ClockWyze

ClockWyze
12-24-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
interesting... pokerprophecy has r_su_27 at 39% ITM over 3k games. but i dont think he's that great. is it just me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I will readily play with him. In all my games I think he has only been ITM once.

curtains
12-24-2005, 12:58 PM
Rlxtn_Thrpst is playing the 55s now? My god

12-24-2005, 01:06 PM
ouch!

Nick M
12-24-2005, 01:27 PM
The fact that everone is saying no to this is sorta scary. Avoiding people doesn't cost any money, and it can only save you money. If they're better than average that is. This is free EV. How do you not avoid anyone that could possibly hinder your chances at making cash?????

Table selection, I now believe, is the most underrated skill in SNGs....

yvesaint
12-24-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ouch!

[/ QUOTE ]

i expected you to post here haha

i just havent seen anything real special from you, so its not like i see you at a table and say "oh no, not him"

other people i see a lot but dont really mind are okemosgod, FlopDaNutz9

12-24-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ouch!

[/ QUOTE ]

i expected you to post here haha

i just havent seen anything real special from you, so its not like i see you at a table and say "oh no, not him"

other people i see a lot but dont really mind are okemosgod, FlopDaNutz9

[/ QUOTE ]

what is your name on PP?

curtains
12-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Id never avoid anyone....you lose time everytime you avoid a table because of one player, time that affects your hourly rate. One "good" player at a table isn't really relevant, there has to be quite a few before it really matters.

curtains
12-24-2005, 02:35 PM
Also note that many of the people on the leaderboard that play nonstop are very exploitable and actually quite easy to play against, as they basically go on autopilot most of the time.

ClockWyze
12-24-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Id never avoid anyone....you lose time everytime you avoid a table because of one player, time that affects your hourly rate. One "good" player at a table isn't really relevant, there has to be quite a few before it really matters.

[/ QUOTE ]

at the 215s this is probably true.

at the 55's its about 15-20 seconds

12-24-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be true if you play continuously 10 hours a day. Don't you play 3 sets a day? Your arguments don't make much sense in that case.

curtains
12-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Of course they make a ton of sense! When I play 5 tables and wait to start up my next one, that can have a strong affect on my hourly rate, and may delay my set by anywhere from 1-5 minutes. Also since all of the good players 8 table, I'd have to avoid them for a long period of time. Also I don't think anyone is really that good, and just having one of them at the table doesnt mean anything. I mean honestly, there is almost always at least one halfway decent player at all the $215s and usually quite a few.

Basically if you want to earn the maximum at the $215s while 8 or 10 tabling in sets, and you have a high ROI to begin with, then using game selection is kind of counterproductive.

12-24-2005, 03:37 PM
It seems like noting the better players you are sitting with would be way more productive then trying to avoid them altogether.

I 8-table the $11s through $33s. I note people that multitable with a simple "MTs" and I note people that play in a 2+2 style.

curtains
12-24-2005, 03:41 PM
Im sure that at the 11s-55s the multitablers are pretty easy to abuse.

Elektrik
12-24-2005, 04:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure that at the 11s-55s the multitablers are pretty easy to abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on where you're sitting...

ZBTHorton
12-24-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ouch!

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I wasn't mentioned either. :-)

yvesaint
12-24-2005, 05:21 PM
ive only played 300 55s so i havent run into a lot of people over and over /images/graemlins/grin.gif

also im not giving away my PP name just yet, id like to remain obscure

z32fanatic
12-24-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, my cover is blown. Maybe time for a name change...

Bonafone
12-25-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Crap, my cover is blown. Maybe time for a name change...

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you going to change to?? z32fanatic5 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-25-2005, 03:29 PM
I don't avoid them, but they certainly factor into seat selection...

ebaudry
12-25-2005, 05:10 PM
"interesting... pokerprophecy has r_su_27 at 39% ITM over 3k games. but i dont think he's that great. is it just me?"

Aside from first saying pokerprophecy isn't particularly accurate...

They have me at 40.x% ITM, over 1500 or so. My ROI is nearish 10% four-tabling, so i'm not great.

Also, just for fun, I put my name into Pokerprophecy with the names of the 9 other highest players i recognize on the leaderboard (Quasi, juicyv, langthang, nofearhelps, wokethebears, etc). It ranked me as higher than all of these, though barely.

I know these players are likely much better than me, or at least play as well as i do but with 8 tables instead of 4.

good2cu
12-26-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I know these players are likely much better than me, or at least play as well as i do but with 8 tables instead of 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

but they make a shitload more money /images/graemlins/wink.gif,

Vuron00
12-26-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

bad_egg
fishenstien
XxTabiasxX
Shipitholla
hundoanhour
TheSaladFork
MCBizzo
DoYouSeeWhy
okemosgod
NoFearHelps
SevnFigures
ThatsTheGame
chnkylover57
Green_Smurf
Rlxtn_Thrpst
volarous
Chevy_Nado
Polopony_

[/ QUOTE ]

I play regularly with a few of the people on this list. It might be a time of day thing, but we always seem to be at the same tables.

If I'm playing on my laptop and only 1 or 2 tabling, I will actually look for 2 of the people on this list and try to get at their table. I've found that since they are usually 8 tabling, they play ABC poker and are very exploitable. At least if they raise from UTG you know they have something instead of some nit raising UTG with 23s.

If you play with anybody long enough you'll get a decent read and this is always a positive whether they're good, or not. There are still 3 money places and if I get to HU with somebody on this list, I'm still happy.

12-26-2005, 12:17 PM
If you are one of the people to be avoided:

NS Poker School, a fledgling poker school is looking for candidates to sponsor
into the world series of poker and players to sponsor online. We are looking for
"quality" players who are consistant winners over time. Sponsored candidates
could receive paid entry to the WSOP, we anticipate our online players being
given paid accounts at sites of their choice where they will split profits with
the school at an 80/20 split with 80% going to the player and 20% going to the
school. Sponsored players agree to promote the school and go through the 2-hour
initial online poker training segment, at the schools expense of course.
Interested candidates can e-mail pokergem123@yahoo.com for furthur information.

NS poker School

raptor517
12-26-2005, 01:52 PM
lol, avoid people? so i should be scared of people? oh. well, i think avoiding people is a waste of time, cuz there will always be someone adequate in most games, even if you dont know who they are. in anything 215 or above its a waste of time because everyone is at least decent, or aggressive on the bubble anyway. also, not enough games get off the ground if you play more than 6 tables, so it hurts yer hourly rate, which is really the only thing that matters. holla