PDA

View Full Version : Curtains hand #1 - AK in the SB vs UTG raise

pergesu
12-23-2005, 11:09 PM
PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com (http://www.pregopoker.com/hhconv/convert)

CO (t1000)
CO+1 (t1000)
MP3 (t1000)
MP2 (t1000)
MP1 (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1000)
UTG (t1000)
BB (t1000)
Hero (t1000)
Button (t1000)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
<font color="red">UTG raises t45</font>, UTG+1 calls t45, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, CO+1 calls t45, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Button calls t45, Hero calls t35, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>

Flop: (t240) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif (5 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t200</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all-in</font>

The very first hand I looked at!! Also the first hand of the tourney.

This is interesting to me because of a comment curtains made a few days ago that relates to this. Maybe someone will remember what I'm talking about.

curtains
12-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Haha, so you are going to post every single hand you see huh /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Newt_Buggs
12-23-2005, 11:17 PM
This looks very standard to me.

curtains
12-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Lets put it this way...if Newt was the UTG raiser, this wouldn't be standard and would actually be a pretty weak allin. The only upside is maayyybe I could make him fold the best or the same hand.

Mr_J
12-23-2005, 11:19 PM
I would do the same thing. What are you questioning?

Preflop I think it's an easy call. Keep your inestment low on a hand you are out of position and probally won't hit.

Flop, raised preflop and 5 people in pot, it's not likely to be checked around, and it's a flop where I want all my money in now.

RobGW
12-23-2005, 11:19 PM
This looks ok to me. What did he say before?

curtains
12-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Yeah Im not sure what I said...Im sure its similar to some hand where I folded AK. Ohh its based on a hand where I said I would fold AK preflop against some tight raisers.

Newt_Buggs
12-23-2005, 11:21 PM
That was level two though

pergesu
12-23-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah Im not sure what I said...Im sure its similar to some hand where I folded AK. Ohh its based on a hand where I said I would fold AK preflop against some tight raisers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well based on what you said, I don't think you'd be calling here. I think you'd either fold because you suspect the UTG raiser or maybe even one of the callers has a big hand, or you'd raise it to charge them to have position on you, and knock out a player or two.

Maybe I just suck at posting hands? Hopefully this next one will be better.

curtains
12-23-2005, 11:27 PM
No this is actually a fine hand to post. It's not as clear as people are saying, as based on the identity of the players, this could become an easy fold to the 200 chip bet. I don't just fold AKo to random raises UTG, it depends on who the opponent is. Also I like the multiway action with AKo, as its more likely I get paid off by a weaker ace, and there is a also a good chance that if I flop top pair and am behind, someone will let me know about it before I put all my chips in. When you are headsup with AK against an EP raiser, its more rare to hit the flop and get paid off huge by a worse hand, especially if they are a solid player.

EasilyFound
12-24-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
based on the identity of the players, this could become an easy fold to the 200 chip bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd find it very hard to fold my hand here. If someone has AA or a set, I'm just going to lose all my chips. Perhaps that is my lack of experience. But I'm intrigued by your characterizing this as an "easy" fold depending on the person. You are putting someone on AA in that spot? What makes a fold "easy"?

curtains
12-24-2005, 01:24 AM
some good players would never in a million years bet anything less than AK there from UTG against 4 opponents. It's simple logic to determine that your AK cannot be the best hand against such opponents.

EasilyFound
12-24-2005, 11:03 AM
That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the number of players yet to act when UTG bet out on the flop. I'd probably still find it hard to fold though. Would that kind of player raise UTG w/99 or 88?

12-24-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
based on the identity of the players, this could become an easy fold to the 200 chip bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd find it very hard to fold my hand here. If someone has AA or a set, I'm just going to lose all my chips. Perhaps that is my lack of experience. But I'm intrigued by your characterizing this as an "easy" fold depending on the person. You are putting someone on AA in that spot? What makes a fold "easy"?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to remember that this raise came from UTG. A non-donk doesn't want to put 200 chips in the pot in that vulnerable position without an ultra good hand.