PDA

View Full Version : Ingrown toenails.

Tregan
12-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Anyone have experience with these? I have one now (repeat incident in the same toe; got first cut out in june) that I'm afraid will get infected again like my last one.

Anyone know of any home remedies for these things?

Epsom salt soaks + antibacterial ointment?

Anyone? Bueller?

Shajen
12-23-2005, 04:11 PM
cut the nails straight, not in a curve. Alternately, dig that [censored] out of there and trim it before it gets worse/infected.

N 82 50 24
12-23-2005, 04:14 PM
I suggest you find a good podiatrist.

I am apparently genetically predisposed to acquire ingrown toenails as my whole family has had problems with them at some point. However, when I got mine cut out the podiatrist also killed the area on my toe where the ingrown toenail was coming from (maybe a bit like laser hair removal... kill the source). Either way, if the doctor knows what he/she is doing you'll never get ingrown toenails again.

Ringo_Mojo
12-23-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you find a good podiatrist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said.
I'm also pre-disposed to them and when i was young had several very painful surgeries by family doctors. Always to have them become ingrown and infected again. After the third or fourth time my parents took me to a podiatrist who did a great job removing them all the way to the source. The nails that he worked on have never had problems since.

Oh and for home remedies... forget it, i've tried everything and nothing worked permenently.

12-24-2005, 12:01 AM
i gots the same mofo'in problem too, dawg.

getchu a good d.o.c. to cut that [censored] out mane.

also, kep em kind of long, it helps. thats what she said.

surfinillini
12-24-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone have experience with these? I have one now (repeat incident in the same toe; got first cut out in june) that I'm afraid will get infected again like my last one.

Anyone know of any home remedies for these things?

Epsom salt soaks + antibacterial ointment?

[/ QUOTE ]

goto the hospital, let them remove it.

I let it linger for two months a 2nd time, it got pretty bad and they had to cut 1/2 of my big toenail off.

don't put it off, be a man and get it fixed...then make sure you get pedicures regularly and keep the toenail neat and clean

wonderwes
12-24-2005, 01:39 AM
After having the procedure done twice, you will feel so much better when you have a doctor cut it out. It will simply not get better on its own.

leehrat
12-24-2005, 02:07 AM
easy to fix, i was a serious tennis player in my teens and both of my big toes' nails became ingrown, it's common among tennis players. go to a podiatrist and he'll get it done, easy and painless procedure. you may always have fungus there though the two go hand in hand. i know there's a medication to cure that but i haven't gone that route since girls don't seem to mind it. good luck.

astarck
12-24-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cut the nails straight, not in a curve.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best advice there is to prevent.

[ QUOTE ]
Alternately, dig that [censored] out of there and trim it before it gets worse/infected.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this for "experienced" ingrown toenailers.

Ingrown toenails also run in my family, I have had 3-4 (can't remember how many now) cut out, and numerous others I cut out myself before they got too bad. Since this is your first problem I'd go see a doctor as soon as possible. As I'm sure you know by now, these things are very painful.

Once you become more experienced with ingrown toenails you can tell if you are in the process of getting another one and can fix it yourself with proper clipping.