PDA

View Full Version : Is Card player mag useful??

PokerPaul
12-23-2005, 03:39 PM
i won years subscription.

after reading first couple of issues, i do find that the level of articles has improved since 5 years ago, however, they are mostly geared to low limits or novice players.

In fact, i get more out of the advertisements and tourney announcements than many of the writeres.

Many write articles about complete fluff, such as:
- soemtimes i switch playing online with my wife when me or she gets busy
- these are my pet peeves (straight forward stuff)
- pros explaining their bad beats or tourney exits without educational value for reader

There are a few that do write insightful articles that help the game for more seasoned players such as Jim Brier, Thunder Keller

Anyways, since i dont read other mags, how do they compare?

henrikrh
12-23-2005, 04:04 PM
I'd say there probably isn't any poker mag worth reading once you have access to 2+2 books, magazine and the forums.

12-23-2005, 08:20 PM
You can read Cardplayer magazine for free on their site......

gabbahh
12-24-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You can read Cardplayer magazine for free on their site......

[/ QUOTE ]
So a paper copy is... a waste of trees.
Do you consider wasting trees useful??

tongni
12-24-2005, 04:43 PM
Sometimes I spill some red bull and I find cardplayer blots it pretty well.

smb394
12-24-2005, 06:57 PM
mag: meh

shant
12-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Did that old guy who starts and ends every article with preparing some type of food and then requiring repose die yet?

alimomoney
12-25-2005, 07:09 PM
They are farm raised trees anyway. It's no different from "wasting bacon".

onegymrat
12-25-2005, 08:09 PM
Card Player is an entertaining poker magazine if you are looking for general news, views, gossip, tournament results, etc. Look at it almost like an Entertainment Weekly would be for an avid movie goer. To compare the advice in Card Player versus 2+2 books would be unfair, since the magazine is mostly for entertainment rather than instructional purposes.

Although I only thumb through Card Player when I'm waiting for a table these days, I very much like the writings of Jim Brier and Barry Tenanbaum. Roy Cooke used to add great thoughts, which most of the quality stuff is now in Real Play of Hands, but not so much anymore.

12-26-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Did that old guy who starts and ends every article with preparing some type of food and then requiring repose die yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

god that guy pisses me off. HE DIDN'T ACTUALLY MAKE SPAGHETTI!

MarkSummers
12-26-2005, 11:07 AM
Anyone who's been to turningstone knows how useful cardplayer mags are. The room is freakin cold and they're great to put over the vents.

12-26-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Card player mag useful

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes!
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d17/phil153/Cardplayerpwned.jpg

augie00
12-26-2005, 02:51 PM
We keep cardplayer in the bathroom at my house. It's a great substitute for toilet paper in times of need.

Aceshigh7
12-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Funny you think the articles are getting better. I feel they are getting decidedly worse and have been for about a year now.

I also don't like their ever changing musical chairs of columnists.

Zele
12-26-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That guy paled in comparison to the anus that ended every article with "For What It's Worth..." I mean, that's lame enough on its own, but the fact that it's an uncredited ripoff of that other anus on the radio takes the cake.