PDA

View Full Version : 77 - No set but lots of action.

JTG51
07-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Online, low limit game. I'm in my first orbit, UTG is an unknown to me.

UTG raises, EP1 and EP2 cold call. I cold call from MP with 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, expecting at least one blind and at least one player behind me to call. Button cold calls, BB calls. Six of us see the flop with 12 SBs in the pot.

Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets, UTG raises, EP1 cold calls, I 3-bet and the button folds. BB calls, UTG caps, we all call. Four of us see the turn with 14 BBs in the pot.

Turn: [5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif] T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

It's checked to me, I bet. All 3 call. Four of us see the river with 18 BBs in the pot.

River: [5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif] 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BB checks, UTG bets, EP1 folds, I call.

What do you think of my play on each street?

lil'
07-26-2003, 12:45 AM
I would have played in a similar fashion. I thought you had it, but the bet on the river is concerning.

GuyOnTilt
07-26-2003, 02:02 AM
Played finely (if that's a word, which I'm pretty sure it's not.) Scratch that: You played fine.

I don't think you can call the river bet though. My guess is your opponent is weak-tight and held 99 and you were behind the whole time. But even if it wasn't a set, you had to have been beat, if not by UTG, then by the BB. However, depending on your table image at the time, you may want to call. If you've been super-ultra tight post-flop then it might be a pure bluff, but that's not likely at a 9 on a 10-high board isn't much of a scare card to use as a bluff. If a K or a Q fell on the river, I'd be more inclined to call, but UTG PF raiser waking up on the river to a 9 undercard makes me think set, and I'd fold.

Stu Pidasso
07-26-2003, 02:44 AM
I question the preflop call and flop 3 bet. If you assume UTG is a reasonable player you have to figure you are at best a slight favorite or worse yet a big underdog. Its true a medium pairs can stand some preflop action when the pot is sufficiently multiway. The problem here is you may find this pot raised and reraised behind you. After one orbit, do you have enough of a read on this table to know its loose passive? Do you know if UTG is going to give you the action you want those times you flop your set?

As it turns out the preflop action was favorable to your medium pocket pair. You got some callers behind you and nobody took it to three bets. The flop comes you have a weak overpair to the board. You also have an inside straight draw.

The flop is decieving. It doesn't look that bad for you, but it can very well be a trap. Even if you are best right now, there are a ton of draws that can beat you and if you are behind, you have very few clean outs. It also turns out, UTG is the type of player who would have given you plenty of action if you flopped your set. Its too bad you did not flop the set becuase if your now behind, he is charging you dearly to catch up. Your 3 bet helped UTG crush your implied odds.

In this situation your initial reads pre flop were spot on. Had you flopped a set you would have been well rewarded. The problem is you threw those reads right out the window when you saw the flop. When BB bets and UTG raises you have to think your hand might be best, but there is a very good chance it is second best. You also have to think that much of the time your hand is best on the flop, your goign to get outdrawn on the turn and river. Its the combination of sometimes being second best and sometimes being out drawn that should motivate you to consider folding the on the flop.

I would ask yourself if you are changing your reads so that they become what you would like to see given the card situation. Thats a very easy fualt to fall into.

Stu

JTG51
07-26-2003, 08:23 PM
If a K or a Q fell on the river, I'd be more inclined to call, but UTG PF raiser waking up on the river to a 9 undercard makes me think set, and I'd fold.

You don't think there's a 1 in 19 chance my hand is good on the river?

Joe Tall
07-26-2003, 08:36 PM
I like the play on all streets, but I got this feeling UTG rivered a 9 for a set and took it down.

JTG51
07-26-2003, 11:21 PM
For what it's worth, my hand was good. UTG had Ks4s.

Thanks for the comments.