PDA

View Full Version : Movies to avoid

Boris
07-25-2003, 06:40 PM
We went to see Legally Blonde II last night. That lasted about 20 minutes before we gave up and decided to sneak into the movie next door, which was 28 Days Later. 28 Days sucks eggs as well. We lasted about 30 minutes before giving up and going home. I'm usually pretty tolerant about sitting through a bad flick but these two movies were insufferable.

Sooga
07-25-2003, 06:47 PM
Well that kinda brings up an interesting topic... what's the worst movies you guys have ever seen? Tops on my list are probably:

-The Avengers
-Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (I don't care about the cult following, this was a horrible, HORRIBLE rambling movie)
-The Godfather III (not THAT bad a movie... but when you're trying to follow up I & II, it was bad)

Ulysses
07-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Sometimes it'll be late in the month and I remember that I pay $100/mo for cable but have barely watched anything.

That's why I've recently watched the following:

Rollerball (remake starring LL Cool J and Chris Klein)
Mr. Deeds (Adam Sandler)
Undisputed (Wesley Snipes / Ving Rhames)

Don't make the same mistake I did....

At least I haven't felt compelled to watch Scooby Doo or Ballistic: Ecks v. Sever

HBO is showing one really good movie right now - The Salton Sea. I recommend watching that if you haven't already. And I love one original show, Project Greenlight. As tired as "reality" shows are, this one is still pretty entertaining, especially if you're into filmmaking at all.

Ulysses
07-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Some that come to mind:

All three Highlander sequels
Lost in Space
Godzilla
Battlefield Earth (yes, I watched it, just because I was intrigued by the whole idea of a Travolta Scientology film)

Boris
07-25-2003, 07:23 PM
I though Fear and Loathing was an OK flick. You say the movie is "rambling", which I don't disagree with, but what do you expect from our dear Mr. Thompson.

Mark Heide
07-25-2003, 07:46 PM
Boris,

Thanks for the warning about those two movies. I usually can tell from the promotion of a film whether it is worth watching, by my standards, and there are usually very few due to the target audience the movie industry is appealing to. Have you watched Terminator 3?

Good Luck

Mark

Clarkmeister
07-25-2003, 08:55 PM
Blind Fury. Blind ninja who is also white and a Vietnam vet drives a car and busts drug dealers. Enough said.

Sooga
07-25-2003, 08:56 PM
Granted I've never read the book nor any of Thompson's books, but as a movie, I just couldn't stand it. After 20 minutes of that movie I wish _I_ had some of the drugs they were taking.

Dynasty
07-25-2003, 10:20 PM
The only movie I was ever tempted to walk out of the theatre on was "Joe vs the Volcano".

Sooga
07-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Oh c'mon Clarky.. you gotta be joking me. That movie is one of my guilty pleasures! I love that flick!

HDPM
07-26-2003, 12:32 AM
"Faceoff"

Might have left but we were with another couple. It was kinda bad to be laughing at the real serious parts that the other people in the theater were liking.

Then again I am often out of step w/ other moviegoers so maybe I don't care. I was laughing in Natural Born Killers while people were stomping out. And I laughed when the son shot himself in front of dad in Monsters' Ball. So maybe I'm just a sick bastard who is out of step w/ the moviegoing public because of it. Well, yes, but Faceoff was still unbelievably bad.

Glenn
07-26-2003, 12:45 AM
Face/off is the worst!

Another terrible action movie is "Air Force One"

"Atomic Twister" bests "Atomic Train" for worst made for TV movie.

M2d
07-26-2003, 02:46 AM
The only reason I sat through "Joe..." was because a friend was an extra in it. turns out I didn't see him, and I really wish I could have those two hours back

Cyrus
07-26-2003, 04:29 AM
-- Anything with Kevin Costner in it. Fellow's just a bad actor.

-- Anything that "opens big" next weekend. What are you, some sucker who only buys retail?

-- Sequels.

-- Films that you know will have a sequel. (But you won't know that until you see it, right?)

-- Anything in whose review you saw the words "..for all the family".

-- Star vehicles.

-- Movies that were "put together" as "projects" by an Agency. (Quick tip: Avoid movies that were "put together" by CAA.)

-- Military combat movies. Unless you learn of at least one real high-ranking military officer heavily disapproving of movie.

-- Anything that "carries" the Oscars (TM). Believe me, after only a year you will not be hearing anything about it outside the financial news.

-- Movies directed by a "famous & successful actor". The chance of seeing something worthwhile is so small, why gamble? (And the exceptions, such as Tim Roth's or Charles Laughton's, only prove the rule.)

-- Anything that features large American flags in its ads. (Wait, would that take out Easy Rider too?)

-- Anything recommended by John Cole. (Hey, I like my theatre without crowds.)

John Cole
07-26-2003, 09:38 AM
One more: Any movie that uses the "interview" a few days after opening. "I loved it." "Go see it again and again."

Mark Heide
07-26-2003, 01:04 PM
John,

You are right. The interview after the movie is a big tip off.

Mark

Vehn
07-26-2003, 01:49 PM
So you haven't seen a movie in 10 years then huh

Uston
07-26-2003, 02:02 PM
How about the worst movies that received the most critical acclaim and/or awards?

My top two (at least for recent movies), hands down, are Titanic and A Beautiful Mind. Sitting through a Roman Catholic mass when I was 12 was boring but pales in comparison to the middle 60% of A Beautiful Mind.

whiskeytown
07-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Watching Sandra Bullock go thru rehab a second time is SO ENTERTAINING - oh wait....wrong movie.

As a zombie film buff, I've got to admit that 28 days later is not for everyone, but it takes some pretty cool twists on an old genre, and seeing London like that was cool as well...very entertaining.

not wasting the money for Legally Blonde 2 - not even for the scantily clad women...that's why I pay for HBO -

RB

Graham
08-02-2003, 09:29 AM
- Movies directed by a "famous & successful actor". The chance of seeing something worthwhile is so small, why gamble? (And the exceptions, such as Tim Roth's or Charles Laughton's, only prove the rule.)

Gotta mention Clinty Eastwood here as an actor-turned-director who can make a good film...esp Outlaw Josey Wales and Unforgiven if you like westerns.

MMMMMM
08-02-2003, 09:55 AM
Why must I argue with you here too Cyrus?;-)

It's been a while since I've seen them, but I thought Dances With Wolves and Field of Dreams were pretty good, really.

Silence of the Lambs was an obvious sequel candidate and was excellent (though I'm sure the sequel sucked).

And as another poster pointed out, Eastwood seems pretty talented in both departments.

Cyrus
08-02-2003, 10:37 AM
We will be arguing till the undertaker comes, M. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm taking down the Rule about not watching films by actors who try their hand at directing : The exception proves the rule, yes, but Clint Eastwood is too big an exception. Scratch that 'un.

The Lambs sequel proves my point about sequels. Godfather III also proves my point. Godfather II disproves it with a bang! (One of the best films of all time.)

. . . And Kevin Costner sucks.

Wake up CALL
08-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Avoid Solaris at all costs. The movie drags with flashback/dream images in a poor attempt to add background to the story line. I rented the DVD and could not watch more than a hour before I returned it to Blockbuster. Perhaps if you rent it begin in the middle and let me know if the 2nd half is better than the first. George Clooney should stick with TV.

John Cole
08-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Josey far superior to Unforgiven, I think.

The best of the actors turned directors has got to be John Cassavetes. The great mystery is why Laughten never got a chance to direct after Night of the Hunter.

J_V
08-04-2003, 02:18 AM
Dynasty did they pay you to see that movie? You owe it to yourself to use a little judgement out there.

rtrombone
08-04-2003, 08:24 PM

Sooga
08-04-2003, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We will be arguing till the undertaker comes, M. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'm taking down the Rule about not watching films by actors who try their hand at directing : The exception proves the rule, yes, but Clint Eastwood is too big an exception. Scratch that 'un.

The Lambs sequel proves my point about sequels. Godfather III also proves my point. Godfather II disproves it with a bang! (One of the best films of all time.)

. . . And Kevin Costner sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hannibal did indeed suck, but I thought Red Dragon was quite good.

adios
08-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Now that is a rich one /images/graemlins/grin.gif

angry young man
08-13-2003, 07:12 PM
better than paying off Finding Forrestor

baggins
08-13-2003, 07:58 PM
I haven't seen either of those movies you mention, Boris. but i would contend that your opinion on those movies is really not worth much. to you, maybe. and you're certainly entitled to walk out of a movie you paid to see. however, you didn't see either movie in its entirety. how do you know it doesn't get better?

anyway, i really want to see 28 days later. i hear its good from a lot of people whose opinions i respect. also, one of my favorite bands actually gave permission to allow some of their music to be a part of the movie score. this band is called Godspeed You! Black Emperor (http://www.godspeedyoublackemperor.com) and they're really great.

anyway, i hate hearing people tell me a movie is horrible after they watch 20 minutes of it. that's like saying you don't like a song because you heard an A#.

baggins
08-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Also, what did you expect from Legally Blonde II? i never saw it, but i would be surprised to like it. which is why i wouldn't bother seeing it.

what about that movie compelled you to see it, only to be disappointed? i can't imagine having my expectations for a movie like that not met.