PDA

View Full Version : 5/10: A7s

SippinSoma
12-23-2005, 01:16 AM
Villain is 25/13 over 50 hands. I'm trying to use this line more frequently, but I'm not sure which spots I should be trying it in.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, MP3 folds, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

toss
12-23-2005, 01:20 AM
I would raise preflop.

I would also 3-bet the tirn as it extracts the same amount of bets as your line and you don't risk getting checked behind on the river.

Azhrarn
12-23-2005, 01:33 AM
I'd just go ahead and 3-bet the turn. I like to save river slowplay checkraises (as opposed to hands where I improve on the river) for when I suspect the villain may fold to straightforward aggression. I don't see that here, as your hand is still fairly undefined. No reason to risk a river check behind.

W. Deranged
12-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Out of position, once the pot gets heads-up, I see no reason not to three-bet the turn.

Waiting for the river just opens you up to getting free-showdowned...

SippinSoma
12-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I was fairly confident this was an easy turn 3-bet. I was hoping for some feedback though on when this line might be best.

W. Deranged
12-23-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was fairly confident this was an easy turn 3-bet. I was hoping for some feedback though on when this line might be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Soma,

What ARE the advantages of a river check-raise over a turn check-raise?

The only advantages I can see are in situations where you figure your opponent will often fold to a turn three-bet, but bet the river if you call the turn and check.

Otherwise, three-betting the turn lets you prevent a free-showdown. Also, you assure to charge semi-bluffs and stuff like that. Since opponents often think they have outs (or actually do have outs!) on the turn, pumping the turn tends to generate more value.

So, the only time I would really like it would be a player-specific situation. One where I thought my opponent was tough enough to fold to a turn three-bet but make a thin river value bet. Another consideration might be metagame in a live game; check-raising the river like that can seriously mess with an opponent's head.

SippinSoma
12-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Yeah, these were my basic thoughts too. I was just wondering if there was more behind it, but I guess not. Thanks. /images/graemlins/cool.gif