PDA

View Full Version : 99 hand that gave me trouble

Ryner
12-23-2005, 12:09 AM
$7,500 Guaranteed on Bodog. I dont think that converter thing works with Bodog, so I've got to do this the hard way. No reads.

6th level. Blinds are 50-100. Notable stacks:

Hero- 3,322
Villian- 3,585

Hero is in the BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG limps, 2 folds, Villian raises to 400, 4 folds, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, Villian bets 500, Hero raises to 1200, Villian Calls.

(Pot Size: 3350)

Turn: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Hero checks, Villian bets 840, Hero...
--------------
What's my move here? I'm not sure how much the Ace scared me, but generally I had the feeling I was beat. Too wussy? As soon as I checked I regretted it, I'm guessing a bet would have been better?

nightlyraver
12-23-2005, 12:36 AM
First consideration: If you are worried about overcards, you are actually taking the worst of it preflop since chances are that an overcard will flop. Folding 99 out of position is not a bad play is you are not comfortable playing post flop. Calling is fine if: you don't mind one overcard on the flop that isn't an A; you feel that you can successfully check-raise Villian when you are likely ahead.

Second consideration: If you do not feel that Villian will bluff with a hand like AK a decent amount of the time, you should bet this flop and fold to a raise.

Third consideration: Once Villian bets, you have to follow through with your plan. Since an overcard WILL fall on the turn (usually) you should not give Villian a chance to catch up. Raise enough to severely price him off his A-high hand. If he has a bigger pocket pair, you simply do not have enough chips to get off the hand. I would simply move all-in at this point OR make a pot-committing bet that he MAY call with AK (perhaps 1,900). Note that you CANNOT fold when the A hits if he does call since you are pot-committed. To avoid any tough decision, just go all-in.