PDA

View Full Version : yapping for a free card

bernie
07-25-2003, 05:48 PM
on a nice little run on the table and this hand comes up. mostly weak players, and im in great control of the table with my mound of chips in front of me. (record session for me at this limit)

1 poster behind me.

UTG limps, next guy raises, i 3 bet, all fold to raiser who calls. we muse together that the only way to get others out is to 3 bet.

flop Qs J xs

he bets, i raise, he 3 bets. now here, i know pretty much exactly what he has. so i think a moment, look at him and say very deliberately, "I know you have a set, but i'm going to slide one off." i can feel his body tense a little at this point. i can see it visibly as i'm calling.

turn.. Xs

he gives a sigh of defeat and checks. i check behind. now he looks visibly, very confused. i can see the wheels turning as he tries to figure what i have. he looks around to a player next to him who only shrugs.(i dont think he was going for the c/r here. he wasnt that type of player. he had slipped into call down mode at this point.)

river Xs

now he looks exasperated and checks, i bet my KxKs (flush) and take it down. as he's mucking, he rolls his cards to show Q Q.

sometimes you can talk your way into a free card.

b

pufferfish
07-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Remind me never to play with you again! Sly devil.

BTW, how is it going at UB?

TC,
pf

MrDannimal
07-25-2003, 07:04 PM
Very well done. So hard to fight the "Holy Crap" instinct when someone nails your hand, even though by doing so they've told you what they have (a drawing hand currently behind you)!

We could all take a lesson from George Costanza here... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

JohnShaft
07-25-2003, 07:12 PM
Very nice play Bernie.

I only have one question for you. You don't think he was check-raising the turn, after you nailed his hand, you think he was in calldown mode?

How bad of a player was he to have the nuts and still think he was beat because you told him what he had?

Edit: I need a brain transplant. I guess he thought you'd turned the flush.

bernie
07-26-2003, 03:02 AM
nice edit... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

he has to think of what im 'sliding one off' for. which is why he looked really confused when i checked behind him. along with his reaction when the flush card hit.

b

bernie
07-26-2003, 03:10 AM
"Remind me never to play with you again! Sly devil"

it was just one of those nights that dont come around often enough... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

at UB im in a lull right now. kind of a holding pattern til the cards make up there mind on whether theyll let me build up more or stay put for awhile. but ive been expecting it. i was on a great run for awhile.

i havent seen ya on there in awhile...hope youre kicking ass wherever youre playing /images/graemlins/grin.gif

b

pufferfish
07-26-2003, 11:50 AM
i havent seen ya on there in awhile...hope youre kicking ass wherever youre playing

Been playing at Party, on my own little run. That ended last night. It was weird, I could almost feel it happen. It was the early part of a $2/$4 session. After I lost about 10 BB I left and sat at a PL table, thinking I would just wait out the cards.

I waited and waited, and I’m still waiting. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TC,
pf

JohnShaft
07-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Trying to put my brain back in gear, if the 10 hits the turn and he "buys the bullshit" (which he obviously did!) then I could understand his checking much more.

Now if he believes what you said about "taking one off" he'd have to be a nutcase to think you're only taking one off if you have the flush draw.
Knowing you three bet preflop and tried to raise the flop (to buy a free card?) "taking one off" would seem exactly right for ONE preflop reraising hand. AK.
So (if he believed you) the 10 should have scared him. And only the ten.

I think it goes to show how thoroughly you'd confused him. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bernie
07-27-2003, 04:35 AM
unless he thinks i have AKs, then a spade on the turn would freeze him. except when i checked behind when the flush did get there. (that was a great reaction)

this is also a case that dynasty brought up awhile back about players putting opponents only on hands that may have them beat. meaning, the flush getting there trumped his thought process causing him to forget that i had 3 bet preflop and raised the flop.

that and the fact i named his hand. i didnt say he was a strong player.. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

b