PDA

View Full Version : Vodka

12-22-2005, 10:25 PM
What's your favorite brand of vodka, and how do you drink it?

I'm drinking Grey Goose with ginger ale right now.

leehrat
12-22-2005, 10:30 PM
in my price range, fris on the rocks

Macdaddy Warsaw
12-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Um...Mostly Ketel One nowadays. Various ways...from shots to white russians to with vanilla coke...

Vodka tonics are swell too.

EDIT: Although all my friends would probably call me a bigshot vodka drinker, I really don't have enough experience with it to really know the differences. Also, I can't really taste most of the subtle differences. I understand how Grey Goose is ultra-smooth but not very appealing otherwise...That's about it..

Clarkmeister
12-22-2005, 10:32 PM
GG

TheMetetron
12-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Belvedere.

Straight up, with a splash of cran, on the rocks or with tonic are all good.

Grey Goose + Red Bull = Quite the buzz.

Luv2DriveTT
Prestine vodkas - Belvedere & Chopan (its a tie)

Vodkas with a "bite" - Stoli & Rain (I prefer them in my neat martinis)

Average outing - Grey Goose

TT

12-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Stolichnaya Elit

IHateKeithSmart
12-22-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm drinking Grey Goose with ginger ale right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try it with a bit of lime juice and ginger beer instead of ale - moscow mule. Very tasty.

MrWookie47
12-22-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in my price range, fris on the rocks

[/ QUOTE ]

This is easily the best value in vodka. Anyone who likes vodka really should try this, and then say that they're willing to pony up for Grey Goose.

ethan
12-22-2005, 11:07 PM
Vox, Mor, and Hangar One are good premium choices. Hangar One is the best choice for flavored vodka, but Charbay makes a couple good ones as well. Fris is your best bet for anything cheaper (I just got a 1.75L for $20) - I think it's significantly better than Absolut/Skyy/Ketel and at about half the price. Rain is also a good value. If you've tried all these, maybe Ciroc or Crater Lake.

I'm drinking a Gibson (vodka martini, cocktail onions instead of olives) w/Fris right now and it's pretty good, but most of my vodka I drink neat and chilled.

12-22-2005, 11:11 PM
I really didn't enjoy Ciroc, when I tried it. I'm not a hardcore vodka drinker, but its easily one of my favorite liquors, and Ciroc just tasted wrong... its been awhile, but that was the main feeling I remember from trying it. Bleh. Definitely not on par with the other vodkas in the same price range.

I enjoy Belvedere, Fris is great for the price. I drink vodka martinis, vodka & soda. the girl drinks cosmos, vodka & tonic.

Shrug, ymmv.

Noo Yawk
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Belvedere.

shadow29
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
mmmmm Aristocrat!

Shot Aristo + Quick chase (Mtn Dew, Gatorade, etc.) = quickie drunk.

I know it's foul, but you just can't beat $10 a handle in college.

Ulysses
12-22-2005, 11:19 PM
RB,

wyborowa, rocks.

vexvelour
12-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Grey Goose with organic cranberry and lime juice.

12-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Whatever is cheap (Smirnoff?), since I only drink mixed drinks with vodka when I'm already tipsy enough not to really care.

GuyOnTilt
12-22-2005, 11:46 PM
When I feel like good vodka, Chopin.

Everyday and at home vodka, Ketel. Usually with a splash of tonic.

GoT

leehrat
12-22-2005, 11:55 PM
addendum: i have compared fris, stoli, and belvedere neat, and could really notice no difference among the three. if anything, fris is smoother than stolichnaya. several recent articles have stated that differences among vodkas (with a certain baseline) are trivial at best.

kyro
12-22-2005, 11:58 PM
Vladi's or Jacquin's.

yoadrians
12-23-2005, 12:00 AM
Here's the lamest response yet:

Any kind of Vodka with OJ or in a good, spicy Bloody Mary.

GuyOnTilt
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
addendum: i have compared fris, stoli, and belvedere neat, and could really notice no difference among the three. if anything, fris is smoother than stolichnaya. several recent articles have stated that differences among vodkas (with a certain baseline) are trivial at best.

[/ QUOTE ]
I probably couldn't tell you the difference between those three either (imo Belvedere is at worst very mediocre and at best hugely overpriced for comparable quality). But I would definitely be able to tell the difference between any of those and Ketel and it's not close.

GoT

TripleH68
12-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Grey Goose or Three Olives on the rocks.
Stolichnaya if I must.

Those of you mixing vodka I encourage you to graduate to a true appreciation.

manpower
12-23-2005, 01:46 AM
The last time I bought vodka it was a handle of Crystal Palace. At $10/1.75L you can't get a cheaper drunk.

12-23-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about those of us who don't want to vomit?

Recliner
12-23-2005, 01:50 AM
I actually prefer Stoli Gold over Grey Goose. Plus you can get twice as much for the same price.

TiK
12-23-2005, 02:10 AM
Stoli Gold is fantastic.

kurosh
12-23-2005, 02:14 AM
i used to despise all forms of alcohol. tasted like crap. hated vodka too. every time i had drank it, it had been warm. i had a bottle of absolut, but i couldn't chill it because i live with my parents. so i had the vodka with ice. i couldn't taste it at all! or maybe it was because i had 5 shots at that point and i am a light-weighted pussy but it happened another time too so draw your own conclusions.

kenberman
12-23-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Belvedere.

Straight up, with a splash of cran, on the rocks or with tonic are all good.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're mixing vodka with tonic, you might as well be drinking Mr. Boston.

then again, you make a lot of money

Eurotrash
12-23-2005, 02:31 AM
i'll cast another vote for Belvedere

zokbarjazz
12-23-2005, 02:50 AM
Dubra.

edtost
12-23-2005, 02:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Prestine vodkas - Belvedere & Chopan (its a tie)

Vodkas with a "bite" - Stoli & Rain (I prefer them in my neat martinis)

Average outing - Grey Goose

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

steven,

you of all people should know better: vodka has no place in a martini.

/images/graemlins/heart.gif,
ed

astroglide
12-23-2005, 03:05 AM
"and it's not close" does beg a prop bet

smoore
12-23-2005, 03:12 AM
Monopolowa. However.

12-23-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Stoli Gold is fantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but Stoli Elit... ah....

12-23-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i used to despise all forms of alcohol. tasted like crap. hated vodka too. every time i had drank it, it had been warm. i had a bottle of absolut, but i couldn't chill it because i live with my parents. so i had the vodka with ice. i couldn't taste it at all! or maybe it was because i had 5 shots at that point and i am a light-weighted pussy but it happened another time too so draw your own conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

The conclusion is, if you refrigerate vodka, it loses its bite, and Absolut tastes like [censored] either way.

surfinillini
12-23-2005, 03:53 AM
Skol (or Walgreen's generic) straight up...thank you

PokerFink
12-23-2005, 03:58 AM
Vladdy. Mixed with whatever is avaliable.

IMO, vodka tastes like [censored], so I might as well get it as cheap as possible.

Eurotrash
12-23-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same comment typed up earlier but decided not to post it

uw_madtown
12-23-2005, 05:01 AM
i drink skyy. because i'm cheap and only use it to mix.

MrOnizuka
12-23-2005, 05:07 AM
Any of you Bay Area posters have any thoughts on Johnny Love??

He's apparently an alumni of my frat at Cal, dropped by for a game, got wasted, and donated a case of his stuff. The flavored ones are awesome in my opinion, but the regular kinda meh.

Any cool stories about his supposedly "legendary" bartending days would be cool too.

mason55
12-23-2005, 05:07 AM
Apparently Vox is out of business. Does anyone know what the deal with this is? About 3 months ago I went to the liquor store and bought 4 1.75L of Vox for $40 total because "they went out of business".

Shajen
12-23-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
RB,

wyborowa, rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The masked man is correct. Very smooth, very good. I'd say it's probably a little better than GG, and in my area, cheaper too. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, diabolical one.

Toro
12-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I like Grey Goose, straight up, slightly dirty. But someone just gave me a bottle of Grey Goose L'Orange. Anyone have a good drink recipe for Grey Goose L'Orange?

johnnybeef
12-23-2005, 10:09 AM
I drink Vodka with Soda water and a lemon. When I do drink these, I do it to get [censored] up, so taste really isn't an issue. If I am going to drink a beverage to enjoy it is going to be wine. On that note, I had a nice bottle of 97 Judd's Hill the other evening that was pretty nice.

MrMon
12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently Vox is out of business. Does anyone know what the deal with this is? About 3 months ago I went to the liquor store and bought 4 1.75L of Vox for $40 total because "they went out of business".

[/ QUOTE ]

Web site is still up. I suspect it's a problem with the distributor or it just wasn't selling at that store. Like the time I went to my local grocery store and found a bunch of bottles of Cragganmore and Glenkinchie in the "discontinued" section at $29/bottle. They all found a happy home.

Good work on the pick up. Seriously, when was the last time an alcohol producer went out of business? It's like license to print money.

12-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Chopin

Van Gogh
Ketel One
Grey Goose

ScottieK

Sponger15SB
12-23-2005, 12:19 PM
I don't drink Vodka, but its about about Barton Vodka, cause, uh, thats my last name. Actually Barton Brands make a shitload of stuff, so just drink any of these....

http://www.bartonbrands.com/alpha.htm

ethan
12-23-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That bet also came up in this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3556264&page=0&fpart=all &vc=1), but never got started.

12-23-2005, 12:34 PM
Grey goose + O.J. = I'm done for the night

Sightless
12-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Grey goose
Finlandia

YourFoxyGrandma
12-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I don't drink enough to have a favorite brand, but vodka and OJ is delicious.

Also, I assume most have seen this, but just in case: http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/

Ulysses
12-23-2005, 12:50 PM
GoT, TheMetreon, JA Sucker:

"But I would definitely be able to tell the difference between any of those [Stoli, Fris, Belvedere] and Ketel and it's not close." - GoT

"I can tell the difference between Grey Goose, Chopin, and Belvedere" - TheMetreon

"The best vodka you can buy in the US is Chopin. Nothing else is close. Grey Goose and Ketel are terrible." - JA Sucker

I repeat my wager from the other thread. Ten glasses of vodka, however you like them served.

GoT: The vodkas will bs Stoli, Fris, Belvedere, Ketel. At least two will be Ketel, you simply pick out the Ketels.

Metreon: The vodkas will be Grey Goose, Chopin, Belvedere. You tell me which one you want to pick out, at least two will be that vodka.

Sucker: The vodkas will be Grey Goose, Ketel, Chopin. At least two will be Chopin, you pick them out.

I am willing to bet each of you $1000 (or more if you'd like) that you will fail this test. Since "it's not close," these guys should be giving me odds, but I'm a nice guy and will do them even money.

However, as I said in the other thread, this will never go down because before doing them, these guys will try it with their buddies first and realize they can't actually tell the difference.

Ulysses
12-23-2005, 12:53 PM
Oni,

I've had the flavored Johnny Love's, they were pretty good. I don't recall anything especially great about them, but I liked them just fine.

As for Johnny, he is pretty much a clown, but a fun guy to drink with.

Shajen
12-23-2005, 12:58 PM
this thread just took a turn for the interesting.

Ulysses
12-23-2005, 01:00 PM
Shajen,

Not really, because the bet will never happen once these guys try the test on their own and realize they can't really tell the vodkas apart.

James282
12-23-2005, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, as I said in the other thread, this will never go down because before doing them, these guys will try it with their buddies first and realize they can't actually tell the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Senior year in college, I kept a bottle of Grey Goose and a bottle of Vladimir's so that when I offered people this exact bet they didn't have time to test it first. I just did 3 shots of Vlad and 3 shots of Grey Goose - if they managed to get it right I would buy them a bottle of Grey Goose, if they were wrong they'd give me 20 dollars. I never lost in the 5 or 6 times meathead idiots took me up on this challenge.
-James

Eurotrash
12-23-2005, 01:09 PM
bless your heart for owning this thread, Diablo.

NotMitch
12-23-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Grey Goose, straight up, slightly dirty. But someone just gave me a bottle of Grey Goose L'Orange. Anyone have a good drink recipe for Grey Goose L'Orange?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to use a little Orange flavored vodka in a red bull vodka, the best ratio I have found in 2 parts regurlar vodka to 1 part orange vodka.

MaxPower
12-23-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My Senior year in college, I kept a bottle of Grey Goose and a bottle of Vladimir's so that when I offered people this exact bet they didn't have time to test it first. I just did 3 shots of Vlad and 3 shots of Grey Goose - if they managed to get it right I would buy them a bottle of Grey Goose, if they were wrong they'd give me 20 dollars. I never lost in the 5 or 6 times meathead idiots took me up on this challenge.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I once had a bottle of really cheapo vodka left over from a party. I poured the contents into an empty stoli bottle and brought it to another party. Everyone at the party was doing shots of "stoli" and telling me how great it was.

This was in the old days before the newfangled vodkas, so stoli was considered really good stuff then.

I will take some action on Diablo's prop bet.

mmbt0ne
12-23-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
RB,

wyborowa, rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The masked man is correct. Very smooth, very good. I'd say it's probably a little better than GG, and in my area, cheaper too. /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, diabolical one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you buying it? The liquor stores by my house both stopped carrying it. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shajen
12-23-2005, 01:54 PM
the liquor warehouse about a mile from my house in Alpharetta has it.

Lucky me.

Emmitt2222
12-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I had Absolut one day and then the next day went out and got Skyy. I definitely believe that the skyy was no nearly as harsh and smoother. What you are saying is this isn't possible though so I guess I have to do them at the same time to tell. :shrug:

FeliciaLee
12-23-2005, 02:25 PM
I like Grey Goose in a semi-spicy Bloody Mary.

Okay, having said that, here is my take on the differences between vodkas, and why I'm drinking in the first place (when I shouldn't).

I can't tell the difference between vodka and rubbing alcohol. It tastes nasty. Pretty much all straight alcohol tastes nasty to me.

When I can tell the difference is the next day. Cheap vodka means a hangover. Pounding head, throbbing, aching, beat up, "I'd rather die than drink again" feeling. The more premium brands leave me feeling okay. Not 100%, but not ill, either.

Up until last November (2004), I'd never really drank at all. I got diabetes young, and grew up with an alcoholic stepfather, so I equated alcohol with alcoholics.

Someone suggested vodka as a good painkiller if one wanted to avoid prescription painkillers and added sugar. I tried it out, and it worked.

The pluses are that vodka is a fantastic, short-term painkiller with no added sugar for people with diabetes.

The minuses are that it is very, very short term. Pills last a lot longer. It also still messes with my blood sugar somewhat, although putting it into a drink with V8 helps out a lot. It also just doesn't agree with me. I'm simply not much of a drinker.

I'm fortunate, in a way, because I don't have an addictive personality. Someone on OOT last year warned me about using Vodka as a painkiller, and illustrated some personal stories, which were horrific and scared me into thinking about what I was doing.

Try as I might, I just couldn't become addicted. I can take it or leave it. Yes, I know exactly how fortunate I am.

MaxPower
12-23-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had Absolut one day and then the next day went out and got Skyy. I definitely believe that the skyy was no nearly as harsh and smoother. What you are saying is this isn't possible though so I guess I have to do them at the same time to tell. :shrug:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he is saying that it isn't possible, he is saying that these particular people cannot reliably tell the difference.

I am sure that each vodka has its own characteristics and that if you taste them side by side you wil notice them. Identifying them by taste alone is another story.

Sponger15SB
12-23-2005, 02:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

Differences in taste between brands

Many vodka consumers claim they can tell a difference in taste between different brands. To test this ability the ABC News program 20/20 [1] conducted a non-scientific survey of 6 individuals aged 21-40 who sampled 6 different brands of vodka. There were 5 different super premium vodkas ($30-$60, 750ml, 2005) and a mid-priced vodka, Smirnoff ($13, 750ml, 2005). At the beginning of the survey the participants were asked to name their favorite vodka brand; four individuals chose Grey Goose ($30, 750ml, 2005). After sampling each of unmarked vodka samples "straight up", five of the six testers chose the same vodka as their least favorite sample. They were all surprised to discover that they had selected Grey Goose. When the 6 brands were mixed into a cosmopolitan mixed drink (3 parts vodka, 1 part triple sec, 1 part lime juice, & 1 part cranberry juice) they were mostly unable to differentiate between the brands. The suggestion was made to select the 'house' or inexpensive vodka next time one orders a vodka based drink. In another recent blind tasting done by New York Times food and drinks critics, classic Smirnoff topped the list; second and third were vodkas from Poland.

12-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Ciroq is the best out there, but kinda pricy. Tastes so good on the rocks.

MaxPower
12-23-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

Differences in taste between brands

Many vodka consumers claim they can tell a difference in taste between different brands. To test this ability the ABC News program 20/20 [1] conducted a non-scientific survey of 6 individuals aged 21-40 who sampled 6 different brands of vodka. There were 5 different super premium vodkas ($30-$60, 750ml, 2005) and a mid-priced vodka, Smirnoff ($13, 750ml, 2005). At the beginning of the survey the participants were asked to name their favorite vodka brand; four individuals chose Grey Goose ($30, 750ml, 2005). After sampling each of unmarked vodka samples "straight up", five of the six testers chose the same vodka as their least favorite sample. They were all surprised to discover that they had selected Grey Goose. When the 6 brands were mixed into a cosmopolitan mixed drink (3 parts vodka, 1 part triple sec, 1 part lime juice, & 1 part cranberry juice) they were mostly unable to differentiate between the brands. The suggestion was made to select the 'house' or inexpensive vodka next time one orders a vodka based drink. In another recent blind tasting done by New York Times food and drinks critics, classic Smirnoff topped the list; second and third were vodkas from Poland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. That doesn't suprise me.

The power of suggestion is strong. Penn and Teller did a thing on their show where they had people tasting different types of bottled water. Supposedly one came from glacier, one from Alaska, one from a spring, etc. Meanwhile they were filling all the bottles with water from a garden hose. Still people were remarking how great these waters were and noting the different tastes of each one.

benfranklin
12-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Deleted: someone else beat me to the Wiki quote.

Ulysses
12-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Emmitt,

I was referring specifically to the vodka claims mentioned in the threads. There are definitely certain vodkas that people can tell apart more easily than others.

TheMetetron
12-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Masked man, you are correct sir. I was able to distinguish Chopin out of the bunch, but mostly because I, for some odd reason, don't like it straight up. There's just something in it.

Belvedere and GG were a loss to me, so you win.

Edit: I think Diablo's point was that most of the premium's taste comparably the same and be able to name them just by taste would be very, very difficult if not impossible.

At the same time, distinguishing Smirnoff from Grey Goose, shouldn't be nearly as difficult, and I don't think anyone is disputing this being possible.

benfranklin
12-23-2005, 03:32 PM
Long story, but eventually on topic.

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I was in Peoria, IL, on business. The person I was meeting with, a big frog in the little pond, was giving me a mini-tour of the city on the way to his office.

We were driving along side the Illinois River, and passed a large industrial complex owned by ADM (Archer Daniels Midland, one of the largest agri-businesses in the world). He told me that the plant manager was a friend of his, and that one of the major functions of that plant was to take in barge loads of grain and produce grain alcohol.

The grain alcohol was then loaded into tanker barges and shipped down the Illinois to the Mississippi and then to the Gulf. There the grain alcohol was loaded on a tanker ship and taken to Russia, where it was used to make vodka. Stoli Vodka.

Since that day, I have had much difficulty keeping a straight face whenever I hear discussions about fine hand-crafted imported vodkas. Give me a break--it comes from Peoria /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ulysses
12-23-2005, 03:39 PM
ben,

That's a pretty similar story to much of the "Kobe beef" people go crazy about.

benfranklin
12-23-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ben,

That's a pretty similar story to much of the "Kobe beef" people go crazy about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya gotta sell the sizzle, not the steak. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

12-23-2005, 03:48 PM
So, ultimately, I'm supposed to be buying Smirnoff?

That idea makes me cry.

bugstud
12-23-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Long story, but eventually on topic.

Long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I was in Peoria, IL, on business. The person I was meeting with, a big frog in the little pond, was giving me a mini-tour of the city on the way to his office.

We were driving along side the Illinois River, and passed a large industrial complex owned by ADM (Archer Daniels Midland, one of the largest agri-businesses in the world). He told me that the plant manager was a friend of his, and that one of the major functions of that plant was to take in barge loads of grain and produce grain alcohol.

The grain alcohol was then loaded into tanker barges and shipped down the Illinois to the Mississippi and then to the Gulf. There the grain alcohol was loaded on a tanker ship and taken to Russia, where it was used to make vodka. Stoli Vodka.

Since that day, I have had much difficulty keeping a straight face whenever I hear discussions about fine hand-crafted imported vodkas. Give me a break--it comes from Peoria /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, I grew up 20 minutes from most vodka. lol.

Yads
12-23-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about those of us who don't want to vomit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I would suggest not drinking on an empty stomach. Also eat while you are drinking.

As for my favorite vodka is Stolychnaya. Also for the people mixing premiums with juice you're just throwing money away.

Sponger15SB
12-23-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That idea makes me cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, thats what *they* want you to think.

Toro
12-23-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also for the people mixing premiums with juice you're just throwing money away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started drinking martini's about a year ago. So when I started with the Grey Goose martinis my wife started ordering her bloody mary's specifying Grey Goose bloody mary.

After a while she said that she couldn't figure out why I thought grey goose was so good because she couldn't tell the difference. I laughed and told her that I didn't have the heart to tell her she was wasting my money by specifying a premium vodka in a mixed drink.

MrWookie47
12-23-2005, 04:54 PM
Vodka martini? What a waste of perfectly good vermouth and olives.

MonkeeMan
12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Here in Austin most people swear by Tito's Handmade Vodka . How does this compare? I'm a Tanqueray man myself, but we're doing vodka at the party tomorrow night and I'm curious.

12-23-2005, 05:01 PM
Tito's is good for the "wow this is from Texas" vibe.

Otherwise, its nothin special. Just drink Smirnoff, apparently...

Toro
12-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Vodka martini? What a waste of perfectly good vermouth and olives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but can't stomach gin after almost ODing on it in college.

Sponger15SB
12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry but can't stomach gin after almost ODing on it in college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that like 40 years ago though? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also I'm wondering, is vodka the only hard alcohol that you shouldn't be able to taste the differences when drinking straight? Or taste the difference in mixed drinks?

Or are they all too different in flavor?

12-23-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That idea makes me cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't give a [censored] what some non-scientific survey says. I think Smirnoff has a distinctive [read: awful] taste.

Toro
12-23-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't that like 40 years ago though? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, the years fly by. Thanks for reminding me. But despite all that time, the thought of gin still makes me skeeve.

uw_madtown
12-23-2005, 06:45 PM
Felicia and El D, big thumbs up here.

Most people can't taste the differences between cheap and expensive vodkas. At all. However, you can definitely tell the difference the next day -- you will have a much worse hangover drinking Fleischman's than you will Grey Goose or whatever, assuming you drank a fair amount of it.

There's also the infamous Brita filtering process, which I hear makes this moot. Buy a Brita, filter Fleischman's (or other cheap no-name) through 3-4 times, and it'll remove a fair amount of the impurities that cause the hangover. Supposedly. I've never tried it myself.

That's why Skyy/Stoli/whatever mid-range vodka is a good route to go. Never experienced hangover with them, you won't be able to taste the difference, and most people won't bitch about drinking it.

esbesb
12-23-2005, 10:02 PM
I am a lawyer. Do you remember Stolichnaya Cristall? Ever wonder what happened to it?

About 10 years ago, I was hired by a Russian distillery named Moscow Distillery Cristall. PepsiCo was then importing Stoli Cristall and we sued them, claiming rights to the Cristall mark. It was 2+ years of litigation, and at the end of the day, the jury gave our distillery the right to the Cristall mark and a few hundred grand to boot. So, Pepsi had to change the name to Stoli Gold and our distillery got another importer, and I lost track of what happened after all the litigation was over.

This was in the days before you saw dozens of different vodka brands.

Anyway, had an opportunity to go to the distillery in Moscow, meet the inventor of the vodka and the head of the distillery a number of times and learn all about vodka and how it's made. And El D. is right. Good vodka is an absence of taste. If you are tasting vodka (other than the alcohol taste, of course) you are tasting impurities.

So, as between high quality vodkas, one should basically not be able to tell the difference.

jkkkk
12-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Smirnoff, mmm.

Los Feliz Slim
12-23-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Monopolowa.

[/ QUOTE ]

For so many months, this is my answer to the vodka threads. Finally, someone else. Bravo, sir.

I was given a normal-size bottle of Grey Goose and an enormous Belevedere for Christmas, so I'll be drinking those for a while. But when it's on my own tab, it'll be Monopolowa.

chuddo
12-23-2005, 10:25 PM
i would like to see a bet concerning these "im so less hungover when my vodka costs 30 bucks more" claims.

something like:
-5 trials of drunken benders. some on premium vodka, some on trash vodka.
-person will then have to hit 5/5 on which was which.

ethan
12-23-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would like to see a bet concerning these "im so less hungover when my vodka costs 30 bucks more" claims.

something like:
-5 trials of drunken benders. some on premium vodka, some on trash vodka.
-person will then have to hit 5/5 on which was which.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could do 5/5 on this, assuming the nights were a choice between Vox/Popov. I wouldn't even have to make it to the morning after to make my decision.