PDA

View Full Version : Curtains gets frisky in the blinds

wuwei
12-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Party $215.

Our hero makes a play from the sb.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP2 (t2030)
CO (t1005)
Button (t1215)
Hero (t1780)
BB (t1075)
UTG (t590)
UTG+1 (t1050)
MP1 (t1255)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls t100, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t300) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, BB folds, Button calls t200.

Turn: (t900) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>...

Nick M
12-22-2005, 09:42 PM
what buy in is this....I fold preflop.

microbet
12-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Well, he's calling BS on the flop.

Blocking bet on the turn?

Iamafish
12-22-2005, 10:39 PM
I dont get it, whats with all the curtains posts?

Snarf
12-22-2005, 10:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ZBTHorton
12-22-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains is one of the best SNG'ers out there.

He is allowing one player a day review his 24 SNG's, and post interesting hands.

Newt_Buggs
12-22-2005, 11:02 PM
This hand can be played reasonably so many different ways that I don't know what to say. I know that curtains will hate this, but there's a decent chance that he had a read to guide him on this hand.

yvesaint
12-22-2005, 11:04 PM
i dont understand the turn bet, id like anyone to explain. does it have to do with stack sizes? is it a value bet? if has no FE whatsoever, the board was drawless on the flop, is he just trying to suck out what he can from a 9?

button only has 900 left after the flop action too.

Jman28
12-22-2005, 11:06 PM
turn misclick?

curtains
12-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Well I knew my opponent wasn't a great player let's put it that way, although I didn't know whether they were especially bad. Anyway I bet the turn to discourage him from betting a wekaer hand than mine. I felt it was somewhat possible I had the best hand and that an unsophisticated player would be more likely to bet if I checked than to raise if I made a min bet. Of course this play is very debatable.

wuwei has clearly done a good job with this project, as he's picked almost all of the weirdly played hands that I was hoping wouldn't get posted, as they sometimes make me look stupid /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Newt_Buggs
12-22-2005, 11:12 PM
It looks like a blocking bet. Curtains really can't tell what his opponent has and he probably feels that minibetting will help him more than checking. He could already be ahead, in which case its unlikely that he will be bluffed off of a superior hand with this minibet whereas a check shows more weakness. The minibet also might serve to pacify an Ace and cause the button to only call with top pair, giving curtains a chance to take the lead with a river card.

curtains
12-22-2005, 11:14 PM
btw I would have just check/folded if the turn card wasnt a queen.

wuwei
12-22-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw I would have just check/folded if the turn card wasnt a queen.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you essentially trying to price yourself into a 5 outer?

ok, just read your first post and newt's post.

My thinking is that good or bad player, your check raise on the flop is very rarely called by someone without an A. I suppose there's a chance they had a lower piece of the flop or something like TT, but I'm skeptical.

Paul Thomson
12-22-2005, 11:16 PM
Curtains,

What would you have done if your opponent was Newt Buggs or Custer...point being, that they could read such a small bet as a blocking bet and bet you off the hand with air, since you never bet 100 into this pot with the nuts. Well not as far as I've ever noticed.

curtains
12-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Well obviously newt or custer never limp in on the button in round 4 and bet 100 into a 300 pot, thus the situation will never happen with such players. Because of this its simply irrelevant to even think about what to do against them in such a spot.

Newt_Buggs
12-22-2005, 11:21 PM
I would almost never open limp on the button as the villain did.

[censored], i'm too slow again!!! I can't match your posting skills curtains

yvesaint
12-22-2005, 11:23 PM
i also think the % chance he has Ax after the flop action is very high, and hes not going to let it go no matter what you do

wuwei
12-22-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

wuwei has clearly done a good job with this project, as he's picked almost all of the weirdly played hands that I was hoping wouldn't get posted, as they sometimes make me look stupid /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My goal has been to find a bad bubble push, a missed push, or a bad call, but so far the few I've punched into SNGPT that I think might fit those is just marginal /images/graemlins/frown.gif I do have a few more HH to go, though.

Paul Thomson
12-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Curtains,

Let me rephrase. It seems to me that you mix up your play depending on the style of opponent you're up against. If it's a weak player who will open limp from the button, then you might react with a blocking bet later in the hand if the proper opportunity arises.

Yet at the same time, it would seem to me that you would never resort to using a similar tactic (ie blocking bet) against Newt in a different but similar situation because he would be able to see it for what it is and exploit the situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past it seems that you've discounted "reads" as a large part of your game. The vast majority of the arguments in your posts are based upon situational factors: stack sizes, blinds, position, strenrth of hands, etc. So I found this example unique because you seemed to be making a play (flop: bluff check-raise &amp; turn: blocking bet) because you viewed your opponent as a poor player. But I am guessing here.

So, how much do you adjust the style of your play based upon how you judge your opponent? When you say "I knew my opponent wasn't a great player" is this based off of his preflop limp or from earlier played hands?

If you adjust your play depending on the "strength" of your opponent, what kind of adjustments should you make when playing a weaker opponent.
I would think at a more straight forward "A-B-C" style of poker would have the best results, since the more subtle tricky plays are often lost on poor opponents. So I was wondering why you would try and bluff re-raise a poor opponent with nothing? I'm sure you saw weakness in his flop bet and tried to steal it from him. But did you take into consideration that he wasn't a good player when you made that choice? Or was your decision based solely on the fact that you saw an opportunity to take away the hand?

Thanks again for allowing people to post your hands. I read everyone religiously and have found them as well as your comments and feedback immensly helpful.

Iamafish
12-23-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curtains is one of the best SNG'ers out there.

He is allowing one player a day review his 24 SNG's, and post interesting hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

$HIT!!! I just looked at his blog and his roi is 20%. Ya, he must be [censored] good, maybe just a lucksack....

Iamafish
12-23-2005, 12:43 AM
wow. I don't get it, is he ever on a downswing?

curtains
12-23-2005, 01:32 AM
The good thing about having a 20%+ ROI is that major downswings are quite rare. I'm still not that confident that my true ROI isnt more around the 15% range. I'd be very surprised if its only around the 10-12% range.

curtains
12-23-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Curtains,

Let me rephrase. It seems to me that you mix up your play depending on the style of opponent you're up against. If it's a weak player who will open limp from the button, then you might react with a blocking bet later in the hand if the proper opportunity arises.

Yet at the same time, it would seem to me that you would never resort to using a similar tactic (ie blocking bet) against Newt in a different but similar situation because he would be able to see it for what it is and exploit the situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the past it seems that you've discounted "reads" as a large part of your game. The vast majority of the arguments in your posts are based upon situational factors: stack sizes, blinds, position, strenrth of hands, etc. So I found this example unique because you seemed to be making a play (flop: bluff check-raise &amp; turn: blocking bet) because you viewed your opponent as a poor player. But I am guessing here.

So, how much do you adjust the style of your play based upon how you judge your opponent? When you say "I knew my opponent wasn't a great player" is this based off of his preflop limp or from earlier played hands?

If you adjust your play depending on the "strength" of your opponent, what kind of adjustments should you make when playing a weaker opponent.
I would think at a more straight forward "A-B-C" style of poker would have the best results, since the more subtle tricky plays are often lost on poor opponents. So I was wondering why you would try and bluff re-raise a poor opponent with nothing? I'm sure you saw weakness in his flop bet and tried to steal it from him. But did you take into consideration that he wasn't a good player when you made that choice? Or was your decision based solely on the fact that you saw an opportunity to take away the hand?

Thanks again for allowing people to post your hands. I read everyone religiously and have found them as well as your comments and feedback immensly helpful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do adjust my play based on the quality of my opponent. For instance if I know that my opponent is weak, I might make a smallish reraise preflop with AA, knowing they might not see it for the obvious big hand that it is. If I know my opponent has been around the block a few times, Im going to simply move allin with AK, AA, TT and whatever hand I choose to reraise with in certain situations. This is just an example.

Just because I use reads sometimes doesn't mean that I don't think that they are the most important thing. Trust me that many of the situations I do get in, I don't have a SOLID read. I sometimes get a strange sense that my opponent is loose/tight/tricky or whatever, but I don't know for sure and generally just play a hand in a default type of way.

Just because I talk about how unimportant reads are doesn't mean I don't use them a lot. I just happen to think that understanding how to play correct technical poker is more important.

Mr_J
12-23-2005, 01:38 AM
$300+/hr must be nice.

async
12-24-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
$300+/hr must be nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's getting 20% 8-tabling 215s? Nice.

curtains
12-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Yea, Im sure I will maintain it forever too /images/graemlins/smile.gif