PDA

View Full Version : Perfect played set?

King_J
07-25-2003, 04:06 PM
4-8$ 4handed game on Poker In Europe with a check-calling fish on my right who often folds on the river and never bluffs. A dream-opponent!

Im in big blind with 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Button (a strong player) open-raises. Fish calls and so do I.

Flop comes: Q /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
Check-Check-Bet.
Fish calls and i C/R.

Button drops but fish calls.
Turn: T /images/graemlins/club.gif
Check, I bet, he calls

River: 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif making 4 clubs on the board. Fish in Sb checks again. I bet for value.

Who bets for value, who waits for turn to put in a raise? Anyone consider betting out the flop?

lil'
07-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Since he's a fish, I would bet for value.

redsamurai
07-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Who bets for value?
Since you said he often folds the river I think he will likely drop anything short of trips (which would shock me if had). He is thus only likely to call with a better hand and thus I'd check-behind here. I think the "value" bet is -EV.

who waits for turn to put in a raise?
Not I. I want to make anyone on the flush draw pays for it now.

Anyone consider betting out the flop?
For the reason above, I like betting the flop unless the button will nearly always bet here (raised pre-flopped, checked to on the flop).

One other comment on the pre-flop play:
With the button being a strong player I'd concider putting him on a steal here and reraise then lead the flop. I don't like the call as you don't have pot odds on making trips. Either take control by raising allowing for a flop bluff or fold. I think just calling the raise is the worst of the options.

King_J
08-10-2003, 10:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

One other comment on the pre-flop play:
With the button being a strong player I'd concider putting him on a steal here and reraise then lead the flop. I don't like the call as you don't have pot odds on making trips. Either take control by raising allowing for a flop bluff or fold. I think just calling the raise is the worst of the options.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think calling is the best option. I actually dont consider any other options at all. I sure have the potodds IMO. I´m getting 5-1 to flop my set. and I think I am very likely to get another 6+ small bets when I flop a set.

If I reraise and the flop comes: Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Do you keep on betting? You know that the fish will call with almost anything. You also bet the turn? And call a river-bet? hmm... No, preflop call is far superior!

ropey
08-10-2003, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not I. I want to make anyone on the flush draw pays for it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

If anyone has a 4 flush, they are going to stay to see river...I think it is a better idea to wait till the turn. You make them 'pay for it' more. If another club hits, you can then adjust your play. You may wish you hadn't put in extra bets on the flop when the 3rd club hits the board. This way you save bets when someone has made a flush, and you gain more when they don't.

-ropey

ropey
08-10-2003, 01:24 PM
However, if you don't think you will get a bet out of the agressor on the turn, then you should go ahead and raise on flop.

-ropey