PDA

View Full Version : (22) JJ on buble with shorty

golfcchs
12-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

UTG (t2080)
Hero (t1310)
SB (t4400)
BB (t210)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG raises t400, Hero?

No one else knows what they are doing here. UTG has been loose donk, but has tightened up somewhat on the bubble. SB has been agressive, but not nearly enough given his big stack. Of all the opponents BB has been the best.

What do you do with JJ here?

12-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Push. BB is calling regardless, and you're very likely to have him crushed. A min-raise here is often an attempt to play HU cheaply w/ shorty, so you're miles ahead of his range (I guess Ax), and you still have some fold equity.

golfcchs
12-22-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Push. BB is calling regardless, and you're very likely to have him crushed. A min-raise here is often an attempt to play HU cheaply w/ shorty, so you're miles ahead of his range (I guess Ax), and you still have some fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that I am way ahead of UTG's range, but if I push BB could fold and hope that I bust out. He has made some bad folds with the short stack.

handsome
12-22-2005, 08:44 PM
You say he's tightened up his preflop range. What does a minraise mean? By his nature he's a loose donk, meaning there will be little FE.

I'm not so sure about a push when BB can fold his way into 3rd.

11t
12-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Eh, JJ is too strong to fold here IMO. I mean you are most likely way ahead of UTG.

I'd say calling has a lot of validity since the BB is going to be all-in on this hand (unless he folds his last 10 chips) and then you can play the hand post flop.

If you had UTG covered though I'd push this 100% of the time.

Nick M
12-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I think I would call here. Obviously BB calls his extra 10....hope to check it down or if you have to get all the money in on the flop do so, no matter what it is. You gotta protect 3rd money with jacks here. If the BB tries to pull some tricky crap and folds for the extra 10 hahaha then check fold the flop, no matter if it comes rags.

microbet
12-22-2005, 08:54 PM
I think it's a very tough decision. BB calling is more important than UTG folding, but if you call, the pot is going to look very juicy to SB who can steal from all of you. BB is soo short that he is only thinking of sneaking into 3rd.

If you push and BB calls, great.

If you push and BB folds, UTG is still deep enough to call you without worrying about finishing OOTM.

Damn tough spot and I sure don't want to be all in here without the BB and see someone with even one overcard.

microbet
12-22-2005, 08:59 PM
This sounds best. Call and then you get all-in if and only if shorty gets allin (barring trips or better).

Nick M
12-22-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Push. BB is calling regardless, and you're very likely to have him crushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to give you my opinion on this...if I was BB and someone pushed before me I would fold for the extra 10 and try to squeek into the money. Even if you win the hand from the BB you still only have an outside shot of making the money if the pusher wins also, meaning wins the side pot. And if you lose the hand (which is likely because the player is pushing on the bubble with you being short so he should have a very strong hand here) then you finish 4th because you had less chips. It's sorta confusing...but in the end you have to fold in the BB if the player pushes.
Buuuuuuuuuuttttt if you flat call the raise then the BB MUST call the 10 because he knows you will check fold the flop no matter what to avoid finishing in 4th. Damn this really is confusing hahaha....and it's also a very cool hand.

not for nothing I think this hand is one of the main reasons I like playing SNGs. I use to love Live Cash NL, but I live for situations like this. Sooooo much strategy involved.

Nick M
12-22-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn tough spot and I sure don't want to be all in here without the BB and see someone with even one overcard.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY...that would be a complete disaster.