PDA

View Full Version : in defense of noam chomsky against hit piece by frontpagemag

brad
07-25-2003, 03:24 PM
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=7630

heres my quick review. (after // is my opinion other is quote from article.)
------------------------------------
Of all the major powers in the Sixties, according to

Chomsky, America was the most reprehensible. Its

principles of liberal democracy were a sham. Its

democracy was a “four-year dictatorship” and its

economic commitment to free markets was merely a

disguise for corporate power. Its foreign policy was

positively evil. “By any objective standard,” he wrote

at the time, “the United States has become the most

aggressive power in the world, the greatest threat to

peace, to national self-determination, and to

international cooperation.”

// well after enron etc. and our troops everywhere inclding plan to invade iran syria and n. korea what do u think?

--

At the time, the traditional left was still dominated

by an older generation of Marxists, who were either

supporters of the Communist Party or else Trotskyists

opposed to Joseph Stalin and his heirs but who still

endorsed Lenin and Bolshevism. Either way, the emerging

generation of radical students saw both groups as

compromised by their support for the Russian Revolution

and the repressive regimes it had bequeathed to eastern

Europe.

// speaking of trotskyists, all thse 'neocons' (richard perle, etc.) are trotskyists!! look it up. read ron pauls speech on neocons that i posted

--

//chomskys defense of foreign nation's atrocities? what

ive read he compares himself to sakarov in the soviet

union. sakarov criticized s.u.'s policies and when

officicals said, yes, but what about america, sakarov

said, hey, thats upto them , we have to clean up our

own house.

-------

Chomsky has persisted with this pattern of behavior

right to this day. In his response to September 11, he

claimed that no matter how appalling the terrorists’

actions, the United States had done worse.
//not really . chomsky said look , they dont hate our

ideals, our thoughts of freedom. they hate us cause we

bomb them and murder them, btw on a much greater scale

than 911. but we do it with state sanctioned force.

------------------------

This Sudanese incident was an American missile attack

on the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory in Khartoum,

where the CIA suspected Iraqi scientists were

manufacturing the nerve agent VX for use in chemical

weapons contracted by the Saddam Hussein regime. The

missile was fired at night so that no workers would be

there and the loss of innocent life would be minimised.

The factory was located in an industrial area and the

only apparent casualty at the time was the caretaker.

// come on. we all know about how clinton bombed an

aspirin factory, ect. for christ's sake, we know the

whole iraq war was builit on solid lies, wmd, etc.

------------------------------

was a largely anti-American tirade criticizing the

United States’ international human rights record,

blaming America for the 1980s Iran-Iraq war, accusing

it of ignoring Iraq’s gassing of the Kurds, and holding

it responsible for the purported deaths of 600,000

Iraqi children as a result of post-1991 economic

sanctions.

// madeline albright, on national tv on 60 minutes in

199x (3 or something) said that 500,000 dead iraqi

children was 'an acceptable price for stability in

region' or something like that. bet me 10,000 dollars.

bet me 10,000 dollars she didnt say that. go ahead.

-----------------------
The central argument of American Power and the New

Mandarins is that the humanities and social sciences

had been captured by a new breed of intellectuals.

Rather than acting as Socratic free thinkers

challenging received opinion, they had betrayed their

calling by becoming servants of the military-industrial

state. The interests of this new mandarin class, he

argued, had turned the United States into an imperial

power.

// jesus christ, all the neocons inthe administration

(eg, richard perle, aka prince of darkness, hey thats

his moniker given to him by pentagon brass) are openly

talking about the need for american imperialism.

-----------------------

//manufacturing consent

Nowhere do the authors explain how journalists and

other news producers come to believe they are

exercising their freedom to report the world as they

see it.

// hey it was common knowlegde before iraq war that

that whole niger uranium thing was a total lie, yet no

one reported it. why?

Nor do they attempt any analysis of why millions of

ordinary people exercise their free choice every day to

buy newspapers and tune in to radio and television

programs. Chomsky and Herman fail to explain why

readers and viewers so willingly accept the world-view

of capitalist media proprietors. They provide no

explanation for the tastes of media audiences

// hey fcc just authorized virtual monopoly of media by

big business.

Reactions to the terrorist attacks, he said, “should

meet the most elementary moral standards: specifically,

if an action is right for us, it is right for others;

and if it is wrong for others, it is wrong for us.”

// obvious. how can u argue with this. chomsky is

saying terrorism is wrong, but US practices it too. US

must stop. we cannot stop enemies from killing

civilians, but we can stop ourselves. we dont have any

moral high ground if we sponsor death squads (as in

central america and other)

Yet Chomsky’s moral perspective is completely

one-sided. No matter how great the crimes of the

regimes he has favored, such as China, Vietnam, and

Cambodia under the communists, Chomsky has never

demanded their leaders be captured and tried for war

crimes.

// not true i have heard chomsky say that 'of course

these regimes are evil and corrupt, everybody knows

that' . his point is that this fact doesnt mean we have

to be evil and corrupt as well.

finally nothing in the article was footnoted so im not

even sure chomskys quotes given in there are real.

brad
07-25-2003, 04:02 PM
hey ill reformat it and use that quote thing to make it look better later. sorry

MMMMMM
07-25-2003, 04:29 PM
"// well after enron etc. and our troops everywhere inclding plan to invade iran syria and n. korea what do u think?"

I think it depends on how things go in the near future as to whether invading North Korea, Syria or Iran is necsssary;-) I also think calling the USA the greatest threat in the world is silly: the greatest threat IMO is currently the potential for proliferation of WMD into the hands of unstable regimes and terrorists. Also, do you really think regimes like North Korea's have a moral right to exist?

Re: other things:

Chomsky's saying "we have to clean up our own house" doesn't excuse his deliberately lopsided portrtayals, nor are such portrayals intellectually honest. He also uses these lopsided portarayals to paint the USA and the West as the greatest villains while while apologizing for far more atrocious governments.

I'm sure Madeliene Albright said what you quoted or something similar. Does that make her statement true?

I don't think the rationale for the Iraq war was primarily built on lies or false information. Do you really suppose former US administrations as well as many major foreign intelligence services all reached the wrong similar conclusions about Saddam's regime?

brad
07-25-2003, 05:38 PM
you:"// well after enron etc. and our troops everywhere inclding plan to invade iran syria and n. korea what do u think?"

I think it depends on how things go in the near future as to whether invading North Korea, Syria or Iran is necsssary;-) I also think calling the USA the greatest threat in the world is silly: the greatest threat IMO is currently the potential for proliferation of WMD into the hands of unstable regimes and terrorists. Also, do you really think regimes like North Korea's have a moral right to exist?
------------
article:its

economic commitment to free markets was merely a

disguise for corporate power. Its foreign policy was

positively evil. “By any objective standard,” he wrote

at the time, “the United States has become the most

aggressive power in the world, the greatest threat to

peace, to national self-determination, and to

international cooperation
-----------

1)
look at chomsky's statement (corporate power = enron, the greatest threat to

peace, to national self-determination = US preemptive aggressive war in iraq and other places.)

----------------------------
-----------------------------
you: 'Chomsky's saying "we have to clean up our own house" doesn't excuse his deliberately lopsided portrtayals, nor are such portrayals intellectually honest. He also uses these lopsided portarayals to paint the USA and the West as the greatest villains while while apologizing for far more atrocious governments.'

2) thats a mischaracterisation of his view

------------------------
-----------------------
you:'I'm sure Madeliene Albright said what you quoted or something similar. Does that make her statement true?'

'and holding

it responsible for the purported deaths of 600,000

Iraqi children as a result of post-1991 economic

sanctions.'

3) article states that above is false. former (active at time) sec. of state mad. albright *took responsiblity* for those deaths on national tv and said it was worth it.

--------------------------------
--------------------------------
you:' don't think the rationale for the Iraq war was primarily built on lies or false information. Do you really suppose former US administrations as well as many major foreign intelligence services all reached the wrong similar conclusions about Saddam's regime?'

4) the major justification was iraq's imminent wmd which necessitated a preemptive war. afaik all justifications were proven false. even the claim saddam gassed kurds was disputed by high ranking intelligence/administration official which i posted earlier. (in short they got caught in crossfire in iran-iraq war in which both sides used chemical agents and more than that they were killed by cyanide based agents which only the iranians posessed).

feel free to post a major justification of the war that was proven true. (im sorry any humanitarian reasons wont work as madeline albright said deaths of millions of children was an acceptable price so there).

MMMMMM
07-25-2003, 07:45 PM
Just to answer the last point easily, whether or not the recent 'war' with Iraq was justified on humanitarian reasons has ZERO to do with Albright's statement. Either the war was justified on humanitarian grounds or it wasn't. The conclusion of that point does not change based on past sanctions or the results of those sanctions. Either the Iraqis needed humanitarian relief from Saddam at a cost of a minor "war" or they didn't.

Regarding Allbright's statement, just because she accepts responsibility for something does not make it entirely so. I've argued at length on this forum about how Saddam was really more to blame than the US for those Iraqi children's deaths and I'm not looking to rehash that whole debate now.

However please consider that even if Allbright's statement were 100% dead-on accurate, it wouldn't change whether the Iraqis were deservant of humanitarian relief from Saddam at the recent relatively low cost of lives in the "Battle Of Iraq." In other words our moral fitness as liberators does not hugely impact whether or not the Iraqis needed forcible relief from the horrible tyrant holding sway over them. So I'm saying that on humanitarian grounds the war was OBVIOUSLY justified, even should the liberators be totally corrupt bastards, and even if the deaths from sanctions were 100% the fault of the US (which obviously isn't the case).

brad
07-25-2003, 07:57 PM
so US left saddam in power at cost of 1000000 childrens deaths (600k was 93) and THEN decided to invade for hum. reasons? heh

ok tho.

cite administration's claim (made before war please) that humanitarian aid major/main reason for war.

ps i can cite wmd threat as main reason for preemptive war by US

brad
07-25-2003, 08:21 PM
'I don't think the rationale for the Iraq war was primarily built on lies or false information. Do you really suppose former US administrations as well as many major foreign intelligence services all reached the wrong similar conclusions about Saddam's regime?'

http://www.sundayherald.com/34491
----------
BRITAIN ran a covert 'dirty tricks' operation designed specifically to produce misleading intelligence that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction to give the UK a justifiable excuse to wage war on Iraq.

MMMMMM
07-25-2003, 10:59 PM
So: even if that is the case (and I'm not saying it is), how do you explain that other intelligence services and even the Clinton administration were convinced of the existence of Iraq's WMD programs? Saddam's WMD programs aren't a new development;-)

Maybe the government unwisely felt compelled to give the public more proof than they had, but rest assured Saddam never had unilaterally and completely abandoned his WMD programs.

MMMMMM
07-25-2003, 11:12 PM
You keep coming back to the administratio's claims. I keep saying the Iraqi people deserved deliverance on humanitarian grounds, regardless of the administration's claims or rationale.

Humanitarian reasons don't have to be the administration's number one reason for war in order for the war to still provide much needed humanitarian relief to the tyrannized Iraqis--can't you see that? In other words the argument for humanitarian relief exists no matter what the US government says.

The US government could have said the justification for the Iraq war was because it was urgent that we replace the green cheese in the Moon with purple cheese and we needed to use the Baghdad airport to do it--that might be bullshit but it still wouldn't affect the fact that the Iraqi people desperately needed relief from their tyrant.

brad
07-26-2003, 02:39 AM
'So: even if that is the case (and I'm not saying it is), how do you explain that other intelligence services and even the Clinton administration were convinced of the existence of Iraq's WMD programs? Saddam's WMD programs aren't a new development;-)

Maybe the government unwisely felt compelled to give the public more proof than they had, but rest assured Saddam never had unilaterally and completely abandoned his WMD programs. '

uh, how about propaganda? (which goes back to chomsky's claims, which is topic of this thread btw).

i mean, you said how can all intelligence agencies be wrong, and i gave a link to a story in major british newspaper *today* (maybe yesterday) about how british intelligence made it up for propaganda purposeds.

at the very least you must admit as a poker player that there is a definite non-zero chance that chomsky's view of propaganda is correct given the references i provided.

brad
07-26-2003, 02:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The US government could have said the justification for the Iraq war was because it was urgent that we replace the green cheese in the Moon with purple cheese and we needed to use the Baghdad airport to do it--that might be bullshit but it still wouldn't affect the fact that the Iraqi people desperately needed relief from their tyrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

then you admit the administration engaged in propaganda (however you agree with its aims and thus approve of this instance of the propaganda method)!!!!

so then you admit that chomsky is correct in his propaganda model!!!

so there!! heh

ps whether was was justified or not is irrelevent in context of this thread about chomsky and his views on propaganda (eg, if you agree with nazi eugenics you would have no problem with the propaganda about 'relocation to the east'. however its still propaganda)

MMMMMM
07-26-2003, 09:18 AM
An incredibly small non-zero chance I would say.

Also, even if British intelligence embellished or invented a report or two doesn't mean that all their reports are false.

MMMMMM
07-26-2003, 09:33 AM
The reason I was making a point regarding the humanitarian justification for the war is because you said, at the bottom of one of your posts in this thread:

brad: "feel free to post a major justification of the war that was proven true. (im sorry any humanitarian reasons wont work as madeline albright said deaths of millions of children was an acceptable price so there)."

I think I've pointed out rather convincingly that whatever Albright said, and whatever our government gave as reasons for the war, are irrelevant as to the question of whether or not the war was justified on humanitarian grounds. And I do believe the war was clearly justified on humanitarian grounds, even if those were the only grounds.

brad
07-26-2003, 10:37 AM
i dont think u understand the point.

the original point of the 'hit piece' article was that noam chomsky was wrong. as an example they cite his propaganda model (ie, false information).

i reply that in iraq war propaganda was widely used, which supports noam chomsky's position and counters the articles claim that noam is wrong.

i then ask you, since it is a given i think that wmd was total propaganda, if there was anything the administration said about justification for war that was *not* propaganda.

you see, we're talking about whether noam chomsky is correct in his model of governement propaganda or not. whether the war is ideally justified or not is really not an issue.

p.s. but as an aside (note im changing the topic) if humanitarian reasons were so imoprtant, why did US let over one million children die before acting? thats my point. my additional point (only semi realted to main point) is that the humanitarian grounds thing was another propaganda reason for war in that it did NOT drive US actions, EVEN IF HUMANITARIAN REASONS FOR WAR HAD MERIT.

so if u cant understand that then i really dont think u have <130 i.q. anymore. heh (just kidding u know)

MMMMMM
07-26-2003, 11:11 AM
I think I understand your points.

My points are:

1) that Saddam had WMD programs even if the US and UK embellished or fabricated some reports. In other words ALL of the evidence for Saddam's WMD programs wasn't fabricated.

2) You challenged me to provide one good justification for the war and I believe I did with the humanitarian issue. That holds true regardless of whether it was the administration's main point, minor point, or not a point of theirs at all. However the fact that they did make it a point, and it is a valid justification for war, means that tthe government rationale cannot have been entirely wrong. The deaths/sanctions issue--while an important question in itself--does not significantly impact this argument.

3) Just as some fabricated evidence does not mean that all evidence is necessarily fabricated, the existence of some government propaganda does not prove Chomsky's propaganda theories, because his theories about propaganda and 'manufacturing consent' are much larger in scope than what the government may have done propaganda-wise in order to drum up support for the Iraq war.

brad
07-26-2003, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However the fact that they did make it a point, and it is a valid justification for war, means that tthe government rationale cannot have been entirely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a feeling u hold israeli citizenship.

John Cole
07-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Brad,

Wish I could remember the excat source of this, but I think it occured duting the Bush I years. One of the president's advisors was asked if they were waiting to act until they found out what the public opinion was on the issue. His response: "No. We're waiting until we create the public opinion."

MMMMMM
07-26-2003, 12:35 PM
Not at all, my ancestry is English, Scottish, Welsh, German and Dutch. My ancestors on the Germanic side setttled in Ohio in the 1600's, and my ancestors on the English side arrived on the Mayflower (Thomas Rogers, who died of hardships in one of those cold New England winters, but at least he had children first;-)).

brad
07-26-2003, 12:40 PM
i was just kidding but i mean if you support war unconditionally then just say so. btw, who do u htink will be next {syria, iran, n. korea}

MMMMMM
07-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Of course I do not support war unconditionally. However if there could be regime change in the countries you just mentioned it would probably be a good thing. Their current regimes are quite horrible, although Syria is not as bad as the other two.

brad
07-26-2003, 12:53 PM
just my typing.

i meant 'war in iraq' unconditionally

not war in general

heh