PDA

View Full Version : 10+1 Pocket Aces. Push this flop?

12-22-2005, 07:50 PM
I don't have the hand history, but I've been thinking about this one a bit today.

1st level of 10+1 Hollywood Poker NLHE SNG
Blinds are $10 $20
Hero has 1480 in chips and is UTG
Hero is dealt A-A
Hero raises to $80
Villain has 1440 in chips and calls from cutoff

[pot=190]

Flop comes J 9 6 rainbow.

Hero bets 100
Villain miniraises to 200
Hero?

Now, I figure this guy could be miniraising anything from
A-J down to J-2. Maybe he even has middle pair and wants to define his hand. He also might have flopped a set, but I'm not going to sweat that too much here. I think at this level it's more likely that he's got top pair. If I'm beat, I guess I'll just go ahead and fire up the next game.

Now, my first instinct was to push (and I did), but I got to thinking that a call or a mini reraise might have been a better play here. His raise definitely screamed strength to me. I'm wondering how frequently a call would induce another bet on the turn or if a mini-raise will get him all fired up about a showdown.

I guess a push can't be a bad play here, but I'm wondering if it's the best approach. Our stacks are deep and it's very early in the tournament. Am I going to stack my opponent frequently enough in this situation to push?

jmillerdls
12-22-2005, 07:52 PM
bet 120-200 preflop, bet the pot on the flop...push to a raise.

12-22-2005, 07:58 PM
Bet the pot on the flop? Don't you think this is a little too much? There's no draw here. I want my opponent to call.

I figure a c-bet is the way to go. Tough to get any action on this flop w/a pot sized bet.

pineapple888
12-22-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet the pot on the flop? Don't you think this is a little too much? There's no draw here. I want my opponent to call.

I figure a c-bet is the way to go. Tough to get any action on this flop w/a pot sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your line looks fine so far. Raise or push if you think he'll come along, otherwise call here and then play fast on the turn, but don't complain if he sucks out /images/graemlins/shocked.gif