PDA

View Full Version : I hate it...

offTopic
07-25-2003, 02:16 PM
My first foray into ultimatebet, more on that later.

3-6, game is very tight-aggressive (mistake #1 poor game selection). For better or worse, I get the limp-reraise in against the SB, and we're heads up preflop (I have AA).

Flop is 9-high, all clubs (I don't have the Ac). Check-bet-call.

Turn is nothing...check-bet, and I get checkraised.

River is the 2c, putting 4 clubs on the board, SB bets. What now?

~~~

I've played 4 sessions on ultimatebet, trying to get enough points for the 20% first-time buyin bonus. I'm down about 175 playing 2-4 and 3-6, most of the loss was in this last session.

I'm amazed at the level of aggression in these games when it gets heads-up postflop, and it's very confusing. I've seen more people 3-betting/capping the flop and turn with nothing (A-high, no draw, etc) in 4 sessions at UB than I'll see at Party in a month. (Clearly I'm not making the proper adjustments for the increased aggression.)

I see some of this at Pokerstars as well, which ultimately led to me greatly reducing my play there during the week (the games seem softer on the weekends). Any agreement here on the heightened aggression at UB, or did I just pick a bad time to sit down?

JohnShaft
07-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Any agreement here on the heightened aggression at UB, or did I just pick a bad time to sit down?

No, I will more or less agree with you on that. The vast majority of my play for the last few month has been at 3/6 and 2/4 at UB. Some of the play is very aggressive. Especially if you're viewed as tight and can lay down a hand.

Give you an example from there recently as for aggressive headsup. A hand very similar to the one you've posted.

Folded around to the SB, he completes, I raise from BB with KK, he (limp)reraises from the SB... OOOKay. I cap it.

Flop, something like J7x all clubs (I have no clubs). He bets, I raise, he calls.
Turn is a middle club (4 clubs on board) He bets out... I think, and decide I'm calling anyway.
River is King of clubs (board all clubs) He bets out, I call and he turns over K7s (no clubs) and we split playing the board...
Now that's what I'm talking about. When I said something about his play, and open limp reraise from the SB he said "Well we're not all as tight as you...". OK, I'm tight, so you think that makes it a good idea to limp reraise me headsup?

BTW your hand I'm still calling the river. He could well bet a worse hand, and raise MANY better ones (even a middling flush) knowing UB.
Also it'll help your image if they know you ain't just gonna lay down for them.

[Say hi if you see me there. I like to know when I'm playing another 2+2er /images/graemlins/wink.gif]

CrackerZack
07-25-2003, 02:35 PM
call and hope he didn't just get there.

offTopic
07-25-2003, 02:55 PM
In a fine example of the reverse tilt with one and a half twists in the pike position, I folded. Disgustedly.

About 15 seconds later, I was thinking, "Self...this guy raised out of the SB and could have had a BIG FREAKING RANGE OF HANDS THAT I BEAT..." There was a good chance I was beaten - heck, he could've flopped a flush for all I know, but headsup, I have to call there. Damn.

Dynasty
07-25-2003, 03:09 PM
The next time this happens, 3-bet him on the turn.

offTopic
07-25-2003, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this with the intention of showing down, regardless? Or, if this guy is good/crazy enough to bluff/semibluff 4-bet the turn (if, in fact he really doesn't have a hand that beats mine) and then bet the scare card on the river, do I just tip my hat to him?

incognito
07-25-2003, 04:32 PM

Why? If the idea here is that you can lay it down if he 4-bets you, I don't agree... That seems like it would encourage people to take shots at you in the future.

If he calls, then checks to you on the river, do you bet again? Assuming you can lay it down to a river check-raise (but again, wouldn't this encourage typical players who won't remember the rest of the hand but will remember you folding to a river check-raise to take shots at you), you've only spent an extra bet while giving your opponent two more chances to fold, but will he really fold with a pot that big?

If you check behind when checked to on the river, you've spent just as much money as you would have had you just called him down, so I don't see what that gets you either.

I really don't understand this suggestion at all... Please explain.

Nottom
07-25-2003, 04:46 PM
Reasons to 3-bet:

1) If he was making a move on you without the flush he folds and you avoid chopping or losing to some miracle card on the river.

2) If he has a small flush he might lay it down thinking you have a bigger flush.

[ QUOTE ]
If you check behind when checked to on the river, you've spent just as much money as you would have had you just called him down, so I don't see what that gets you either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, except he also might fold a better hand or not catch you with a worse hand.