PDA

View Full Version : radiohead

daryn
12-22-2005, 05:28 PM
never really listened to any of their songs, what should i listen to first?

lapoker17
12-22-2005, 05:30 PM
everyone raves about ok computer, but i think for a new listener, the bends is better.

deacsoft
The Bends and OK Computer (two albums) should be enough to get you hooked.

CREEP.

and stop there.

daryn
12-22-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's one i have heard in bars that i think i could really dig.. super mellow style.. fake plastic trees?

Luv2DriveTT
12-22-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
never really listened to any of their songs, what should i listen to first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... you are in for an experience. I'd start with OK Computer and The Bends (best albums for new fans) and then head right to Hail to the Thief.

Also a must-own is Christopher O'Riley's True Love Waits. Its a piano classical reworking of Radiohead's work.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

TheBlueMonster
12-22-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's one i have heard in bars that i think i could really dig.. super mellow style.. fake plastic trees?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes....or at least most likely.

daryn
mmm i love piano

TheBlueMonster
[ QUOTE ]
Paranoid Android

and stop there.

[/ QUOTE ]
fyp

Luv2DriveTT
12-22-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mmm i love piano

[/ QUOTE ]

Then you MUST get this. (http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/4a/oriley.html)

deacsoft
12-22-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mmm i love piano

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great call, TT.

TheBlueMonster
12-22-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
everyone raves about ok computer, but i think for a new listener, the bends is better.

[/ QUOTE ]
completely agree.

deacsoft
12-22-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably is Fake Plastic Trees. It's on The Bends. It's a sentimental favorite of mine.

private joker
12-22-2005, 05:39 PM
The Bends is the perfect start -- it has Fake Plastic Trees on it, as well as High & Dry, Just, and Street Spirit, songs that can get anyone on board.

After that album, go for OK Computer. Then it's a free-for-all.

Soul Daddy
12-22-2005, 05:40 PM
Some pretty accessible individual songs are:

Fake Plastic Trees
Just
Black Star
Street Spirit (Fade Out)
Karma Police
Let Down
Lucky
Go To Sleep
Where I End and You Begin
Anyone Can Play Guitar
Prove Yourself

But like most have said, I'd get familiar with The Bends and go from there. It gets a bit more complex and if you start at OK Computer or beyond, it might take more listens to appreciate than you are willing to give it.

[censored]
12-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I thought I was the only one on this board who had never checked out radiohead beyond creep.

post your thoughts once done

kenberman
12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought I was the only one on this board who had never checked out radiohead beyond creep.

post your thoughts once done

[/ QUOTE ]

I never listened to Radiohead until this year.

I ended up downloading all the albums. really great stuff, and in fact they singlehandedly turned me back on to 'new' music

turnipmonster
12-22-2005, 05:43 PM
if you end up liking radiohead the jazz pianist brad mehldau does some great versions of their tunes. exit music, paranoid android, etc. the one with exit music is "art of the trio vol 3(?)", probably one of the best jazz albums to come out in the past 10 years.

partygirluk
12-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Those who like radiohead variations should check out 'Strung out on OK computer' a string quartet rendition of the alubm. It is great.

zokbarjazz
12-22-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you end up liking radiohead the jazz pianist brad mehldau does some great versions of their tunes. exit music, paranoid android, etc. the one with exit music is "art of the trio vol 3(?)", probably one of the best jazz albums to come out in the past 10 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Volume 4. Amazing album.

deacsoft
12-22-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'Strung out on OK computer'

[/ QUOTE ]

Also great stuff and well worth checking out.

SmileyEH
12-22-2005, 06:28 PM
I really like Kid A. The first track "everything in its right place" is awesome. It's the first song in Vanilla Sky if you've seen it.

-SmileyEH

colgin
12-22-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the headsup. I will look for this.

uw_madtown
12-22-2005, 06:45 PM
Not enough love for Kid A in this thread, even though I rank OK Computer above it.

colgin
12-22-2005, 06:45 PM
First: The Bends.
Second: OK Computer

12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
records- Kid A and Hail To The Thief are their best.

songs- "Everything in its Right Place," "How to Dissapear Completely," "Idioteque," "Paranoid Android," "A Wolf At the Door"

that should start you off.

jon

private joker
12-22-2005, 08:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

songs- "Everything in its Right Place," "How to Dissapear Completely," "Idioteque," "Paranoid Android," "A Wolf At the Door"

[/ QUOTE ]

These songs are all brilliant. But they are awful choices for starting someone off on Radiohead.

Madtown, it's not that we have no love for Kid A -- it's that we recommend people start off with more accessible material and work their way towards the challenging stuff.

uw_madtown
12-22-2005, 09:20 PM
I understand that, it's just that most people didn't mention it as "next step" album.

That, and I'm also sure some people rank Pablo Honey / The Bends above Kid A. Which is just wrong. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

12-22-2005, 09:21 PM
TT,

I'm quite enthralled with Mr. O'Riley. Thanks.

fluxrad
12-22-2005, 09:22 PM
Madtown - you are aware that The Bends is Radiohead's second best album, right?

CallMeIshmael
12-22-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Madtown - you are aware that The Bends is Radiohead's fourth best album, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

pokerlaw
12-22-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mmm i love piano

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is good solid stuff right here. thx for the link.

the thing i love most about radiohead is their ability to give each album a distinct feel to it. If they put Ideotecque on "The Bends" it would be out of place. It would still f*cken rock, but on Kid A it blends in so well to the whole album. They also sound great live, so they are not just studio talented.

uw_madtown
12-22-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Madtown - you are aware that The Bends is Radiohead's fourth best album, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

12-23-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These songs are all brilliant. But they are awful choices for starting someone off on Radiohead.

Madtown, it's not that we have no love for Kid A -- it's that we recommend people start off with more accessible material and work their way towards the challenging stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh....accessibility can go to hell. if someone gets off on "fake plastic trees" but isn't into weird synths, signal processing, or lots of dissonance....then half of the radiohead catalog isnt gonna work for them. they can go buy coldplay records instead.

besides. if the first record i heard from them was "the bends" or "pablo honey," i woulda never bothered to take them seriously. its like telling a new beatles fan to start with "please please me" instead of the white album.

jon

captZEEbo1
12-23-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mmm i love piano

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think that someone that knows nothing of radiohead won't appreciate this album very much.

Luv2DriveTT
12-23-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
mmm i love piano

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think that someone that knows nothing of radiohead won't appreciate this album very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I turned on a co-worker and she doesn't like Radiohead but listens to classical.