PDA

View Full Version : Limping but not re-raising w/ AA

Ulysses
07-25-2003, 01:06 PM
Pretty loose, mildly aggressive 15-30 game. Two aggressive players in middle and late position always come in with a raise. Average flop is seen 5 or 6 handed for two bets.

I get AA UTG. I limp, planning to re-raise. MP, as expected, raises. He's a terrible, terrible player. Surprisingly, everyone folds to the button (also a poor player), who cold-calls. Blinds fold (what the hell is going on here?) and I decide to just call.

Flop 2h 6c 8s

I check. MP bets. Button calls. I checkraise. Both call.

Turn (2h 6c 8s) Ah

I check. MP bets. Button calls. I checkraise. Both call.

River (2h 6c 8s Ah) Js

I bet. Both fold.

What do you think?

Dante
07-25-2003, 01:40 PM
normally I think you can't really get away with multiple check-raises against somewhat aware (i.e. they're still breathing) players, but in this case I think it was well played - the flop checkraise looks like you made top pair or maybe a pair of 99 or TT. The check on the turn when the A comes just screams to be bet by MP after you check.

Dante

TJSWAN
07-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Ulysses,

How terrible terrible and poor are these players? Had you three bet the flop here would they have a clue?

I think your pre-flop limp set up the double check-raise.
I don't know your opposition, but I'll say you beat a /images/graemlins/heart.gif flush draw and a smaller set.

Tim

Nottom
07-25-2003, 02:53 PM
What makes you possibly think someone out there has a set?

Ulysses
07-25-2003, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know your opposition, but I'll say you beat a /images/graemlins/heart.gif flush draw and a smaller set.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not serious, right?

rtrombone
07-25-2003, 02:57 PM
I think I will almost always 3-bet unless it's going to be heads-up. Even then, I will 3-bet maybe half the time. I just worry that you will lose a bet if one of the two folds at the flop.

Post-flop you played it fine. Your opponents must have been truly horrible to play it the way they did. I'm not sure which way this cuts. If they're that bad, you may have been able to 3-bet pre-flop and still pull off two check-raises.

offTopic
07-25-2003, 03:12 PM
I think he beat KQo and 55 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bad beetz
07-25-2003, 03:29 PM
you played it wrong, you should have goaded one of them into calling on the river.

other than that, I like it.

bad beetz
07-25-2003, 03:30 PM
If I know that game, the heart flush and smaller set would have pumped that flop and turn so hard, Ulysses could have just watched. the set would never, never fold.

cferejohn
07-25-2003, 04:22 PM
A smaller set? Why on earth would a smaller set fold on the river? Nothing about the way Ulysses played it really screamed AA. In fact, I'd probably put him on A8s and re-raise on the turn if I had a smaller set.

Ulysses
07-25-2003, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you played it wrong, you should have goaded one of them into calling on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, though not having to show my cards after check-raising on two streets was pretty cool too. And I'm not sure that either even had a small pair. Could easily have been straight and flush draws.

Ulysses
07-25-2003, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think he beat KQo and 55 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not KQo, but KQh and 55 are a definite possibility. Or something like T9.

Ulysses
07-25-2003, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll say you beat a /images/graemlins/heart.gif flush draw and a smaller set.

[/ QUOTE ]

To elaborate on my earlier response...

If I were one of the opponents in this hand and had a smaller set, I'd 3-bet the flop, oh, 90% of the time.

If for some reason I didn't do that, I'd 3-bet the turn, oh, 100% of the time. If 4-bet, I'd cap it about 100% of the time.

If I somehow forgot to raise the turn, I'd raise the river bet, oh, 100% of the time.

Folding a set for one river bet on this board with this action is insane.

elysium
07-26-2003, 03:30 AM
hi ulyses
well played. it's different though. i guess when you have a super aggressive on, you can go for a double check-raise if you don't give your hand away on the pre-flop.

about the pre-flop......i like it. it's a change of pace and will keep your opponents guessing the next time you limp and call. but don't try this one at home kids. it takes a lot of descretion to determine what type of opponent will bet after you check after you have check-raised him.