PDA

View Full Version : When games get tight/aggressive...

DesertEagle
07-25-2003, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Jeff and this is my first post on the 2+2 boards.

I have a problem.

My usual game is to play two $2-4 tables on Party Poker, and I've been doing quite well. However, lately I've found that even the $2-4 tables have become a lot more agressive and tighter. Nearly every hand I play is raised pre-flop, and I never see the 6-7 people seeing the flop that I used to find in the $2-4's at Party.

I need some guidance as to how to approach a game that is played agressively pre-flop. My first move was to drop the Axs and Kxs and smaller suited connectors that I would love to limp in with in a loose/passive game. What else do I need to do?

I've been seeing about 25-30% of the flops in these agressive $2-4 games, is that too much?

I've only been winning about 8% of the hands in my last few sessions, does that mean I'm just getting cold cards? or am I getting pushed off too many pots? I'm not really sure what a good win % is for a typical session in a ring-game...

I'm really eager to improve my game, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Also, does anyone know when I can find loose/passive low-limit games online?? I've really worked hard to perfect my play in these types of games, and now I can't find them!! lol..

Thanks again everyone...

Jeff

Nottom
07-25-2003, 01:51 PM
If the games are aggressive with few people seeing the flop, then you need to tighten up considerable in early position, drop the suited connectors, smaller Axs, and baby PPs. You should already be tight with your unsuited broadway cards but if not also avoid stuff like QJo and KTo from EP.

As Dynasty would say, knowing what % of flops we see or what % of pots we win, won't help your game any.

... but ... 30% is a little on the high side if it is aggressive preflop. Additionally you probably should be winning less than your "fair share" of pots because you are playing tight.

DesertEagle
07-25-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the advice... and all those standards are alredy a part of my game...

I guess what's throwing me off is all the pre-flop raising. In an loose/passive game, I rarely cold-call a pre-flop raiser, but in an agressive game, almost every hand is raised pre-flop. Does that mean I should be cold-calling more or less?

Should I loosen up my own raising standards and start firing away with more hands pre-flop?

I don't think that loosening up my calling/raising standards will help me win in this game, but then again I could be wrong...

My first contention was to play tighter pre-flop, and looser post-flop than I would in a loose/passive game. But I find that when I tighten up and play very few hands, that if I get any part of the flop I play TOO agressively.

When 7 people take the flop, I want a BIG piece of it if I'm going to continue in the hand... my thinking being that if I didn't get a big piece, then someone else did (or is drawing to it), so I release the hand. Now when only 3 people take the flop, and one is the big-blind, I have a hard time figuring out where I'm at.

Does anyone else find that the games at Party have really tightened up the last week or two weeks??

thanks again for the input...

Jeff

Dynasty
07-25-2003, 02:40 PM
If the game you're playing in becomes both tight and aggressive, the best decision you can make is to leave the game.

DesertEagle
07-25-2003, 02:43 PM
Well said...

but the games I'm talking about are $2-4 at Party. I find them "relatively" tight/agressive but that's compared to the way the $2-4's usually play...

I doubt these games are tight/agressive enough to be unprofitable. But again, you guys probably know more than I do!

Has anyone else noticed the same things I've noticed at Party lately?

Jeff