PDA

View Full Version : 2 Bind Defending Hands

mojobluesman
12-22-2005, 01:28 PM
I've been trying to defend my blinds a little better. I had no read here. I checked the flop because of 2 cards in the playing zone. When he checked behind I intended to bet the turn, but then another somewhat dangerous card fell and I decided to take my losses and exit.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (2.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 3.25 BB

Hand #2

MP3 was a loose passive.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Songwind
12-22-2005, 01:34 PM
*grunch*
Hand 1:
Do you have a read on Button? If I don't have a read that he steals basically every time, I don't think I defend with this hand. A3o is fairly weak unless you flop a wheel draw or something of similar strength. If I did call, I'd play the same.

Hand 2:
Are you raising to isolate MP3? I don't much care for A8o out of position, and I'd fold this PF.

mojobluesman
12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
Here's another

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5 BB

Vote4Pedro
12-22-2005, 01:42 PM
Hand 1: Fine, I dont mind calling, raising, or folding a hand like A3 in the BB. Depending on the player of course.

Hand 2: Raise from SB w/ A8s+, or ATo+

mojobluesman
12-22-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*
Hand 1:
Do you have a read on Button? If I don't have a read that he steals basically every time, I don't think I defend with this hand. A3o is fairly weak unless you flop a wheel draw or something of similar strength. If I did call, I'd play the same.

Hand 2:
Are you raising to isolate MP3? I don't much care for A8o out of position, and I'd fold this PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally fold these hands also, but my stats indicate I am way too tight against steal type raises and these weak Axo hands seem OK EV-wise statistically heads up or 3 way. So I am trying them a little. The isolation attempt was against a very weak and loose player.

Vote4Pedro
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Fold PF...Why bet the flop?

mojobluesman
12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Last one. Again no real read.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9 BB

12-22-2005, 02:05 PM
hand 1 - don't defend with that crap

hand 2 - not a blind stealing situation, but without a read on BB, call this down

mojobluesman
12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
hand 1 - don't defend with that crap

hand 2 - not a blind stealing situation, but without a read on BB, call this down

[/ QUOTE ]

The EV stats for A3o against 2 other opponents is not that bad, but I can see folding it. Heads up though, it's practically a re-raise right?

deception5
12-22-2005, 04:24 PM
I think hand 1 is good. A3 is too strong to fold to a steal raise but that flop is just lousy and the turn is even worse.

Hand 2 - just complete preflop. A raise forces the BB out pretty much never so all you do is tie the three of you to the pot postflop. Your hand is pretty good but you have the worst position. Complete and then lead out on a good flop or cut your losses on a bad one.

deception5
12-22-2005, 04:31 PM
Hand 3 is usually a fold for me preflop. The way it went down I play it the same.

Hand 4 I don't like as much. I think if you bet the turn you should fold to a raise. If you call the raise you should check/fold the river, especially when it's an Ace since Ax or 22,44,55,66,67,78 were the only things you were likely ahead of on the turn and your opponent was spewing if they played 67/78 this way. There's also a good chance the opponent checks behind on the river with a small pocket pair when the ace falls.

mojobluesman
12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 - just complete preflop. A raise forces the BB out pretty much never so all you do is tie the three of you to the pot postflop. Your hand is pretty good but you have the worst position. Complete and then lead out on a good flop or cut your losses on a bad one.

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I believe I was thinking in terms of a raise and re-raise driving the BB out, but obviously I wasn't actually thinking. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

I posted a couple of others in this thread, can you look at them please?

deception5
12-22-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I believe I was thinking in terms of a raise and re-raise driving the BB out, but obviously I wasn't actually thinking. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe. Yeah if it's raised preflop you usually want to reraise or fold from the SB to get it heads up when you play. If the raiser is in EP/MP and then it's sometimes ok to CC since the BB is often close to dead money between the two of you (and you don't want to let the opener cap preflop). Against a steal raise you should pretty much always reraise or fold.

Against a limper I usually just complete and only raise the hands where I want more money going in preflop (monsters).

Trix
12-24-2005, 09:03 AM
When he checks behind on the JT6 twotone board, then itīs often because it looks like a board that hits alot of defending hands and he doesnīt want to pay alot to get to showdown. Mostly he holds something that doesnīt benefit much be getting a cheap rivercard.
Hands like K5s, Ax, Q7s etc are common here.
I think you will win with a bet right there on the turn between a third and half the time, so Iīd bet it as I get 2.25:1 on doing so.
If he calls or raise, then you need to think about what kind of player he is.
My default would probably be check-call the river as he could have picked up a draw and probably dont bet weak pairs/A-high when I check, which means bluffs, like Qx or such become a fair part of his range.

gotta go, later.