PDA

View Full Version : Wimpy? Stupid? All I know is I lost...

lil'
07-25-2003, 11:03 AM
I made a spur of the moment decision to make the drive to Foxwoods yesterday, since I had to drive my wife to work and was already partway there. Besides, I'm starting my new job on Monday and I should get to do whatever I want.

I sit in a new 5-10 game and the only two good players are sitting on my right and left. One is a high limit player who is there for kicks, and the guy on my left is loose-aggressive.

I get A-Jo in the CO. I raise after one weak limper. Button, the LAG, calls, as does the weak SB. 4 see the flop of Q-J-X rainbow. I bet, LAG raises me, which I knew was coming. In fact, I think I said as much out loud. He will do this with a wide range of hands. SB cold calls and looks sick to his stomach, other limper folds. I call.

The turn is another brick, and so was the river. I ended up calling down to see a suited queen with a weak kicker. I guess my question is, can you fold this hand on the flop when an aggressive player will raise you with many things? How about the turn? Or the river?

I hate calling hands down and losing. Nothing gets me more upset with myself at the table.

ElSapo
07-25-2003, 11:08 AM
I hate calling hands down and losing. Nothing gets me more upset with myself at the table.

I feel exactly the same way. I don't have a lot to add to your post except that I'd probably have done the same thing and felt the same way about it.

I'd never really thought about it before, but calling down and losing really, really sucks. In an emotionally-exhausting, "look at the two BB I just gave away" kind of way.

Mike Gallo
07-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Lil,

4 see the flop of Q-J-X rainbow. I bet, LAG raises me, which I knew was coming. In fact, I think I said as much out loud. He will do this with a wide range of hands. SB cold calls and looks sick to his stomach, other limper folds. I call

Did you ever consider reraising to gain some control? Would he have folded to a reraise or popped you back? Would a raise there give you free cards for the rest of the hand?

Did you consider raising the turn for a free showdown?

Sometimes the best play is fold or raise with calling the worst option of all.

Michael

eh923
07-25-2003, 11:51 AM
I guess my question is, can you fold this hand on the flop when an aggressive player will raise you with many things? How about the turn? Or the river?
Folding on the flop would be a mistake since you still have a made hand (although probably second best) and 5 outs (and a backdoor straight) with a cheap card coming. Folding the turn or river in this case isn't clear-cut either. In this case, he could have you beat, or he could just sense that you're weak and be betting to drive you out.

You may have been able to take control of this hand with a flop reraise. Another option would have been to bet the turn, and if you get raised, check-fold the river. You still pay at most 2 BB to see the final cards, but you gain a bit of control, and could even get him to fold.

CrackerZack
07-25-2003, 12:15 PM
Did you consider raising the turn for a free showdown?

With the opponent on the button, this is very difficult as when you check the river, he will probably bet. Well, in retrospect, probably not with a crappy kicker, but you don't know that when you make this raise.

lil'
07-25-2003, 12:32 PM
With the opponent on the button, this is very difficult as when you check the river, he will probably bet.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I decided not to raise him. As soon as I check on any street, I'm confident he will bet behind me over 90% of the time.

Being out of position sucks...