PDA

View Full Version : Letters of Resignation

Warik
12-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Never done one before, but will be doing one soon. Do you typically explain why you are leaving in the letter or do you just politely say shove it my last day is XX/XX/XXXX?

This is my first job and I've worked here for 6 years but I'm getting tired of it. It's a small company and they're in a [censored] financial situation and really should have closed down months ago (anyone else would have at least). My departure will be very "boohoo tears please stay" sentimental.

Not to sound all high-and-mighty-I'm-Superman-like or anything, but it's a small company and I am literally responsible for more than 90% of what goes on here. There's a good chance the other 2 or 3 key people here will start job hunting and quit shortly after I do.

Knowing all this, and knowing that this guy's business will 99% tank after I leave, how do I proceed?

More importantly, how do I do it? Present it to him (the real boss, who is never here) or his wife (the one who never makes decisions, but is always here)? Hand it to someone or leave it on her desk until they feel like calling me in to talk about it? Or should I write SIIHP in crayon on the wall and just walk out now?

12-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Keep it clean and professional. Do state why you are leaving (as long as its a professional reason as well, intense desire to SIITP of your bosses wife is not a professional reason). Be polite, but firm. There is no reason whatsoever to burn your bridges. These people will be your referral for years to come.

Ray

howzit
12-22-2005, 01:29 PM
The standard procedure is, walk in and tell your boss you need to talk. Let them know you're leaving and if they need assistance before hiring a replacement, give them a timeline that's suitable for both sides. 1-2 weeks usually. Let them ask you question on why you're leaving and keep them short or else you'll probably find yourself explaining the situation for much longer than you want to. In this case, I'd be honest on the reasons. They probably need to realize they are tanking and need to take emergency actions on their parts to keep the place going. Also, this way you can leave with a much clearer head and start looking for a new job w/no attachments to your current job.

mrkilla
12-22-2005, 01:30 PM
you have 2 options
1) you resign nicely, i have found a positon else where, i loved working here, thanks for making me part of your team im sorry to go blah blah
2) burn your bridge, light the mother f'ers up and tell them off

theres no soft shoe approach like, im leaving because of a poor work environemnt, if your going to say that just tell them this place sucks dockey balls and piss on the bosses hat.

www.i-resign.com (http://www.i-resign.com) has some good ones. I used the "better postion" else where one.

You don't want to burn your bridge, one never knows...

12-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Whatever you do, do NOT tell your boss or whoever to go F themselves. This will only make you feel good for about a day, and it won't open their eyes to some revelation. After you leave, business will most likely continue as usual. Even if it doesn't, you may have to deal with your co-workers and your boss in the near future.

I had this same situation when I left my first real job. Things were always contentious in the office, and I had my share of closed door meetings with both my manager and my partner.

My resignation letter was short and sweet. "This letter is notification of my intent to resign my position with your compnay. My last day of employment will be two weeks from this date, on X. I want to thank you and your company for giving me this opportunity." Give two letters to his wife, one for her and one for him. Tell her what the letter is, so she'll be sure to give it to him.

After working about six weeks at my second job, I got fired. If I had burned that bridge, I wouldn't have had the option to go back...which I seriously considered doing. I got a job at a different company, but I am so glad I didn't tell my first boss to F off. I was especially thankful when I found out my current employer's Christmas party was at the same time and place as the one I left, and my ex-company throws an awesome Christmas party. So I crashed it and was welcomed by everyone, including the manager and partner. Matter of fact, I ran into my old partner last night at a restaurant. He bought me a drink.

Besides, telling them off when they provided you with steady income is rude, IMO.

ScottieK

Shajen
12-22-2005, 01:36 PM
basically, what they said. Never burn a bridge.

bwana devil
12-22-2005, 01:37 PM
yes, tell them youre leaving and tell them what your last day will be.

the letter just seals it in writing so it's on paper. ive never put a reason in mine. i just put something to the effect of

"my last day will be X. i wish all the best to my colleagues. it was a pleasure working here."

bwana

peterchi
12-22-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1-2 weeks usually.

[/ QUOTE ]
I know this is standard, but depending on the nature of your work, this may not be nearly sufficient enough for them

One of my co-workers recently left to take another job, she gave 3 weeks notice, and my boss, who is usually totally chill about everything, was not pleased at all. We work in academic research, and this person was in charge of several projects that I have now been left to take over. But the transition was not / is not completely smooth and basically I have no idea what the [censored] is going on with half of what I'm doing now.

I don't mind, basically as long as everyone understands why I'm fumbling around with everything then I don't really care, but our boss really took it as a personal offense that she would not have given her more notice about her departure.

sfer
12-22-2005, 01:45 PM
The standard is:

Date

Your Boss:

I regret to inform you that I hereby resign my position as blah blah blah. I expect my last day to be last day.

Best Wishes,
Me

You sit down with your boss (schedule an appointment if necessary) and tell him with your letter in hand.

12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
I thought it was 3 weeks notice

Gunny Highway
12-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Try something like this:

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Boss,

After an appropriate period of deliberation, I have come to the decision to tender my resignation, effective November 10, 2000.

Please know that I still maintain a high level of respect for you as a manager and colleague, and I thank you sincerely for the support and assistance you have offered me in each of those roles. I have been proud to work for your company over the past eight years; it has been a journey that has provided me an unparalleled foundation to move forward to new and exciting opportunities.

As such, I have decided to become a professional pirate. It has always been a dream of mine to live the life of a swashbuckling corsair, beholden to none and master of all I survey. Once my crew of unabashed rogues is assembled, we shall take to the capacious expanse of the high seas to pursue fortune, fame, and hair-raising adventure.

Our path may not be filled with the porcine comforts and technological marvels that your company provides, but we shall nonetheless move forward to carve a name for ourselves in the annals of bold insurgency and death-defying derring-do. Once I have a keen blade at my hip and the Jolly Roger is flapping high above me, I believe I will find my true calling.

Please note that I am currently accepting applications for First Officer, if you are at all interested in applying. I will provide a full medical and dental plan, which will offer immediate coverage of all maladies other than scurvy and the occasional bout of rickets.

Sincerely

Captain Warik

[/ QUOTE ]

Warik
12-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I have no intention of being rude or unprofessional, and it has nothing to do with burning bridges... I'm just not like that and I won't do it.

However, I don't see how this can go in such a way that will get me a good reference later. It's a tiny company and is in the worst shape it has ever been and I, a key player, am jumping ship. Even if it keeps running after I'm gone he's gonna hate me for it. Yeah, legally he can't say "he was the worst employee I ever had, don't hire him" but he also can't be legally obligated to say "he's the best employee ever. I'd hire him on the spot any day of the week."

Plus, I want to leave even if I don't have another job ready. I'd rather live off my savings and job hunt with no other obligations than stay here until I find something else. (live at home so being without work for a month is no problem). I don't see how you can tell someone "I'd rather make less / make nothing than work for you" in a polite way and not piss them off.

Any of you ever had a former employer you knew would give you a bad reference and instead you gave a coworker as a reference saying they were your superior? A former employee was a manager directly below me and is willing to give me a reference (as am I to him, as he was fired very unprofessionally), could that work in the worst case scenario or will it likely bite me on the ass?

jba
12-22-2005, 02:11 PM
dude, is your employer a big dick or something? most people understand people moving on. If you are as good as you say you are and he doesn't give you a good reference he is a complete tool. Just tell them the truth and that you don't feel like it's the best fit anymore. At the end of the day it really is just a job and you're probably making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

FYI I have quit a few times and I've never written a resignation letter. maybe that's weird..

I wouldn't lie in a reference. It will probably work but it's silly. If you think they'll give you a bad reference don't use them. Just ask and you should get a pretty good idea. Or get them to write a letter of recommendation so you have an idea of what they'll say..

Shajen
12-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Warik,

I've never had a former employer give me a bad reference, they all told the truth when asked, even if I basically screwed them by leaving. Now, when you are interviewing at other companies, explain the situation, so that way they are aware of what may or may not occur. Seems the best route, imo. If they fold because you left, well, then your value should be quite high at the new company, no?

either way, GL dude.

The Goober
12-22-2005, 02:18 PM
My $0.02...

First, I doubt that formal letter is neccessary, but I suppose it can't hurt. Regardless of whether you hand him a letter or not, though, be sure to tell your boss to his face. Since you don't have another job lined up, I'd make up something unverifiable thing that you are going to be doing, like traveling or seeing your family or something. What you don't want to happen is that your boss says "well, can you stay just a little longer?" and you don't have any response other than "no, because I can't [censored] stand it here anymore - I'd rather sit at home and be jobless". He should be professional and not even ask you, but you don't want to get put in a corner where he basically forces you to be overly honest.

I wouldn't worry about using a non-superior as a reference, but I wouldn't lie about it. I've been a reference for a peer before and it didn't seem to matter. A smart employer will know that a reference from an underling can be just as useful. Besides, I think that a lot of companies don't put much stock in references any more - they know that they are pretty unreliable, and that a lot of employers won't risk the liability of ever saying anything bad about anyone. At my current job that they actually made me the offer before even checking my references (it was contingent on them checking out) - they essentially just used my references to make sure that I didn't lie about anything on my resume.

turnipmonster
12-22-2005, 02:20 PM
I would def not put anything in writing other than the length of your notice. leave any reasons and any other info out of the letter.

Warik
12-22-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, is your employer a big dick or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

He has his days. I'm not saying that he will 100% give me a bad reference but given the situation he's in and that the company is in I'm afraid that he will resent me and take it out on me in the only way he'd have left (bad reference). I mean [censored], he gave me and this other dude a significant pay cut 2 weeks after the other guy told him he was buying a house and wanted to make sure everything was alright business-wise before he made the commitment... then, he tried to demote the guy again a month later and ended up firing him when the guy said no.

How can I trust somebody like that, even if he's not screwed me to that degree before?

[ QUOTE ]
At the end of the day it really is just a job and you're probably making this a bigger deal than it needs to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's also a very valid point and may very well be the case.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't lie in a reference. It will probably work but it's silly. If you think they'll give you a bad reference don't use them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... the problem is that it's my only job. I'll look like [censored] to a potential employer if I don't have a good reference from the only job I've held in my life.

[ QUOTE ]
Or get them to write a letter of recommendation so you have an idea of what they'll say..

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody know if it's bad taste to ask for a letter of recommendation in your letter of resignation? =)

Warik
12-22-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they fold because you left, well, then your value should be quite high at the new company, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... I didn't really think of it that way. You make an excellent point.

[ QUOTE ]
either way, GL dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!

jba
12-22-2005, 02:31 PM
"How can I trust somebody like that, even if he's not screwed me to that degree before?"

Is he the owner? CEO? if not he could have been telling the truth to your friend. Also, did your friend actually suck?

"Anybody know if it's bad taste to ask for a letter of recommendation in your letter of resignation? =) "

yeah it is. Just send him an email or something after you leave or in your last week and ask him if could a) be used as a reference and b) write a short letter of recommendation. Regardless of the outcome you should have a much better idea of where you stand.

"I agree... the problem is that it's my only job. I'll look like [censored] to a potential employer if I don't have a good reference from the only job I've held in my life."

yeah I agree, that's a tough one. I still wouldn't lie.

Warik
12-22-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is he the owner? CEO? if not he could have been telling the truth to your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a mom and pop and he's the pop. He knew exactly what was going on, and if he didn't, he should have.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, did your friend actually suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close. We couldn't have gotten where we were without him.

[ QUOTE ]
yeah it is. Just send him an email or something after you leave or in your last week and ask him if could a) be used as a reference and b) write a short letter of recommendation. Regardless of the outcome you should have a much better idea of where you stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.

4_2_it
12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I really don't have anything more to offer in this thread, but I will say that I am glad to see that you finally made a decision regarding your job. I wish you good luck in the future.

MrMon
12-22-2005, 07:33 PM
It's pretty much common knowledge that you can no longer give bad references, no matter how bad the employee was. You are simply way too open to lawsuits. And you can innoculate yourself in the interview process by saying something like "I was the one keeping them afloat for two years and they were really bitter when I left." References are worth less than you think, prospective employers are really more interested in your resume and their gut feel from your interviews.

I was actually fired from a very prestigous place but always got around it by saying that I and management had a personality conflict. Virtually everyone said "Yeah, we've heard that is a very difficult place to work." Apparently a lot of my co-workers had interviewed ahead of me.

daryn
12-22-2005, 07:40 PM
so wait.. you don't like your job and you're thinking about quitting?

you don't say!

i bet you don't feel great about your boss either