PDA

View Full Version : Limit SNG question

nicky g
07-25-2003, 09:53 AM
I play mainly small buy-in 6-handed NLHE SNGs, but occasioanlly I'll play a limit one (usually by accident /images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I'm better at NL but I still have an ok record in limit tournaments and SNGs. I play very differently to NL, much tighter, rarely limp, seems to work ok. In the last one I played though I got compeltely run-over heads-up. I had my opponent down to 1000 out of 6000 total at the 150-300 level, mainly by having called his frequent bluffs, bottom pair bets/raises etc. But then I went completely card dead, and he kept raising and reraising with any hands. At the start I was seeing flops to see if I could hit anything and call him down, but kept missing and was he was quickly back to level. I tightened up then, till this hand, where I raised with j10, called his reraise, and put several bets in on a k89 flop, and a 10 turn, before just check-calling his river bet and losing to K8. This left me with only 1000 chips. I was then dealt A8s, capped it preflop, and raised all-in on the Q72 flop, to be shown Q7.

When he's down to 1000, and starts raising and reraising with anything, how would you counter this with no cards in limit? Same question for when you're even in chips and he keeps at it.

Greg (FossilMan)
07-25-2003, 10:58 AM
You play any hand in which you are a money favorite. Just as if this were a cash game.

If I raise your big blind, and you know I'm raising with any two, then you play any hand that figures to make money in this situation. That is, you play somewhat more than half of your hands (if there were no blinds, you'd play exactly half, but since there is already some dead money out there, you don't need to win half the time or more to make it correct to play on now).

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Copernicus
07-25-2003, 11:35 AM
When the deck turns cold on you HU in Limit, there isnt a whole lot you can do. Generally, you still need to respond to his raises when you figure to have the best of it. However, when the limits have risen to a large % of your stack, drawing hands become a problem. Even if they have positive EV, they are high variance, and you cant afford high variance at that point in the match. I would have not have been as aggressive pre-flop, check-calling, and would have folded on the flop in this hand.

JTo is only a 55% hand to start with, and derives 65% of its ultimate best hands from making one or two pair. If you havent paired up on the flop, and there are overcards, it is not the time to commit a lot of money.