PDA

View Full Version : Is Christmas caroling dead?

12-22-2005, 09:01 AM
Up to the age of 9 or so, my extended family would go door to door and do the Christmas caroling. After my grandparents on that side of the family died, so did the caroling. Does anyone's family still do this? Did this traditional event die with a generation?
BTW I'm 28 now, so that was quite a while ago.

diebitter
12-22-2005, 09:18 AM
I had 2 kids come round a couple nights ago carolling. Pretty cool, and my 3-year old thought it was super funny.

12-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I dont open my door to soliciters

spamuell
12-22-2005, 10:36 AM
It's certainly alive and well in England (well, London and Birmingham). I wish they'd arrest them all for causing a public disturbance.

Gunny Highway
12-22-2005, 10:37 AM
I once had a neighbor that took great joy in chasing carolers away with a hose.

peterchi
12-22-2005, 10:38 AM
For the past 6 years or so, I've gone caroling with a group of friends as a brass choir. And many of them have been doing it together for way longer than that. I think it's still alive, although I haven't gotten a call about it yet this year...

We don't go door-to-door though; we'd just hit other friends and family.

ChipWrecked
12-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Santa Claus didn't come to my neighborhood. My old man said, "Anybody comes down the chimney, you blow his head off."

(with respects to the late great Freddie Prinze)

(not about caroling per se but gotta work this jopke in someplace)

12-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Oddly, I don't really remember ever having singing at my door. Isn't that kinda awkward? You're just standing there while people sing to you. It's gotta be even worse if you're home alone and answer the door. Did they knock on the door first or just start singing out front? I don't recall how it all went down in my fam.

4_2_it
12-22-2005, 11:01 AM
We did that every year when I lived in Florida. There was group of about 20-25 that went around. We had a set night to go that was publicized throughout the neighborhood. Our kids loved it.

Now we live in a predominately Jewish neighborhood and are one of three houses on the street that put up Christmas lights and displays /images/graemlins/frown.gif

kenberman
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
my old waspy, old money having girlfriends family went Christmas caroling.

I never went, b/c I'm Jewish.

PS: hope no oone takes offense to my wasp comment.

spamuell
12-22-2005, 11:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now we live in a predominately Jewish neighborhood and are one of three houses on the street that put up Christmas lights and displays

[/ QUOTE ]

They come to our country, they steal our jobs and women (as demonstrated by the post below yours) and now they're effing with our christmas lights. Those dirty, hook-nosed bastards.

ChipWrecked
12-22-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my old waspy, old money having girlfriends family went Christmas caroling.

I never went, b/c I'm Jewish.

PS: hope no oone takes offense to my wasp comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that remark.

spamuell
12-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Is wasp an offensive term? If so, I never knew this, I don't see why it should be.

kenberman
12-22-2005, 11:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is wasp an offensive term? If so, I never knew this, I don't see why it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it shouldn't, but you never know. it's a religious and ethnic descriptor, kind of like Jewish.

Blarg
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM
It's probably dead in American big cities pretty much. I've never seen anyone do it once in L.A.

Honestly I don't miss it much. It can go on for song after song and be really tedious, especially when you didn't feel like coming to the door or were busy with your own holiday. I'm not that fond of unexpected and uninvited guests even when they're friends, much less when they're strangers.

MonkeeMan
12-22-2005, 12:03 PM
I shot a few last night, but most got away /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Clarkmeister
12-22-2005, 12:06 PM
When I was in High School, a group of my friends and I went caroling and always requested beer or money with which to buy beer. We had an amazing success rate.