PDA

View Full Version : (100+9) Facing an UTG limper

12-22-2005, 12:23 AM
Situation: 6 handed, 75-150 blinds, me: 1375, UTG: 2600

Play: UTG limps, 2 players fold, I push all in (1375 total) w/ 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif from the button, blinds fold, UTG thinks and eventually calls w/ A /images/graemlins/heart.gif Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Analysis: UTG seemed fairly weak and had limped several times from early position in the tourney, though he did not look to be a complete donkey (he did not show any of the hands). His range of hands seemed to be fairly large, so I felt confident that I either he would fold, I had the best hand, or at worst, it would be a race. My question is not so much related to my play (I like my push here; if you disagree, please explain), but to his play. Does anyone see any advantages to his limp in this situation? He may get a player to push with a weaker hand, but I do not think A Q is strong enough to slow play here. Your thoughts?

Also, I am new to this forum, so if you have any suggestions on the format of my post, please let me know. Thanks.

yvesaint
12-22-2005, 12:27 AM
if he raises to 375-450 pre-flop, do you still push

also, i dont really see a limp being profitable UTG at all with those blinds/stacks, unless you have very very aggro short-mid stacks behind you and you are holding a monster

12-22-2005, 12:30 AM
It's a much tougher decision if he raises UTG, but against a player I don't know enough about, I probably throw my hand away if he raises 3x bb

bluefeet
12-22-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I do not think A Q is strong enough to slow play here

[/ QUOTE ]

...I would agree. I 350-450 raise would be in order IMO.

Welcome to the forum!

Ps. Make sure you include stack sizes of all at the table. Perhaps in future hands, it will be much more important to share.

xJMPx
12-22-2005, 01:02 AM
I don't like UTG's play myself. I guess maybe, not knowing stack sizes, he decided he'd limp and call a push from certain opponents depending on their stack size. This is not my style though.

With his stack, I raise this to 3xBB and proceed from there.

The odd time I might limp EP with AK/AQ is when my stack is in the 11-13xBB raise. Here, I don't like the option of open pushing, so I may limp and hope someone behind raises and I'll come over the top.