PDA

View Full Version : Sushi

12-22-2005, 12:16 AM
I have come to the realization that my life is nothing but an arbitrary passing of time and events between meals at my favorite sushi place (Haruki East in Providence). I was just curious what everyones favorite place and items to get are. My sushi taste is more sophisticated than california rolls, but I still would consider myself a fairly "safe" eater looking to expand my sushi horizons. I'll get started naming some of my favorites.

Sushi:
Hamachi Nigiri
Spicy Tekka
Spider Shrimp Roll
Uzusukuri Suzuki
Unagi Nigiri (Although I get it fairly infrequently)

Non sushi items at the restaraunt:
Tempura Ice Cream

fluxrad
12-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Sonoda's Sushi is some of the best you'll find in Denver. Some might say this isn't saying much, but I had the worst sushi I've ever had in Vancouver. I'd argue stateside that the chef matters way more than the fish. I thought I'd head off the obligatory "You live in Denver, WTF do you know about sushi?"

I just tried the Unagi (freshwater eel) roll today. It was un-freaking-believable. Otherwise, I'm always a fan of yellowtail and salmon nigiri. Tamago is a great finishing move too.

12-22-2005, 12:46 AM
O Toro
Chu Toro

malokoman
12-22-2005, 12:46 AM
Tempura Green tea ice cream is the [censored]. My favorite order at the sushi place is called the Volcano roll. It consists of shrimp tempura in the middle topped with a whole eel and hot sauce on the top. Good stuff

edit It's actually called Fried Green tea where I am from /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

one more edit: I live on Long Island, and my favorite sushi place is Empire. Mon.-Thur. they have half off all sushi items, pretty damn good deal.

ZeeJustin
12-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Toro nigiri
Spicy Tuna Rolls
Unagi Nigiri
Sashimi Samplers

malokoman
12-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Can you explain the Unagi Nigiri?

Sightless
12-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Dragon Roll
Eel Avocado Roll
Alaskan Roll
Spicy Tuna roll

ichi Sushi in Brooklyn are pretty decent

daryn
12-22-2005, 12:58 AM
me rikey unagi donburi

Los Feliz Slim
12-22-2005, 01:01 AM
My favorite place is Saito's in Silverlake on Sunset in Los Angeles. My wife and I always get, in this order:

albacore sashimi
spanish mackeral sushi
snapper sushi
spicy tuna hand roll

Then she gets some unagi and I get some more mackeral unless he's got something special like wild salmon.

12-22-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd argue stateside that the chef matters way more than the fish. I thought I'd head off the obligatory "You live in Denver, WTF do you know about sushi?"

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care who the chef is, if the fish is bad, its bad. WTF do you know about sushi, you live in Denver.

Allinlife
12-22-2005, 01:49 AM
salmon sashimi
spicy salmon rolls
shrimp tempura

HtotheNootch
12-22-2005, 02:12 AM
I'm a Sashimi guy

hobbsmann
12-22-2005, 02:13 AM
it's all about the blue fin fatty tuna sashimi

12-22-2005, 02:19 AM
If you're ever in LA, go here. Order omakase.

Yum Yum (http://losangeles.citysearch.com/profile/11288761)

DMBFan23
12-22-2005, 02:20 AM
Eel rolls are so freaking delicious

oh man I want one right now.

sea urchin is disgusting though.

toss
12-22-2005, 02:27 AM
I've live around 4 or 5 great sushi places and maybe 1 or 2 incredible sushi places. In one of the incredible ones I've had some incredible salmon rolls. Perfect temperature, perfect consistency, painstakingly dressed, and best of all it melted like butter in your mouth. Needless to say it ruined every other sushi place for me. Expensive as hell, but well worth it. The only thing better is real fatty tuna.

astroglide
12-22-2005, 04:29 AM
i've gotten into mackeral lately

lastsamurai
12-22-2005, 04:36 AM
Have you ever tried beef tataki? its raw beef marinated in ponzu sauce...! also fried tofu..

Jeebus
12-22-2005, 04:37 AM
sea urchin almost made me puke. mackeral smells and tastes like fish that has sat out for two or three days. I ain't a fan of either. What I do like is a spicy tuna/yellow tail roll with some avacado and some salmon on top

timprov
12-22-2005, 04:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a Sashimi guy

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, though I've become addicted to Philly rolls.

TheBlueMonster
12-22-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I do like is a spicy tuna/yellow tail roll with some avacado

[/ QUOTE ]
that's all I ever get

glorfindel
12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Yellowtail
Sea Urchin
Sweet shrimp (raw, not the typical steamed)

4_2_it
12-22-2005, 11:13 AM
In addition to what already has been mentioned I like:

Shrimp tempura rolls
Catepillar rolls
Octopus and squid

codewarrior
12-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Giant Clam
Raw scallop
Sweet shrimp
As much fresh salmon as I can fit in the budget
Tomago
seaweed salad & miso soup are key.
Fresh salmon hand rolls.

sea urchin is tolerable only if you dump the raw quail egg on top.

Aces McGee
12-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Does anyone else not like the taste of the seaweed used for the sushi rolls?

I am not a big fish eater to begin with, but I've recently discovered that the reason I never liked the sushi I ate was because of the seaweed. So I've been able to enjoy some tuna and yellowtail (basic stuff, I know).

But every time I tell someone I don't like the taste of the seaweed, they look at me funny.

-McGee

12-22-2005, 11:52 AM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif Sushi, Japengo, and Taga sushi in ABQ.

Yellowtail, Ahi tuna, salmon, dragon roll, seaweed salad, soft shell crab, Philly roll, and whatever roll comes with green chile.

ScottieK

jb9
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
scallop
yellow tail
fluke
salmon

Sushi Yasuda (http://www.sushiyasuda.com/) is the restaurant that changed me from someone who ate sushi sometimes because other people wanted to get sushi to someone who wanted to get sushi.

antifish225
12-22-2005, 12:11 PM
Sweet Shrimp - it is a bit of an acquired taste (especially the heads) - everyone who likes sushi should at least try it once (make sure it is at a nicer type sushi place though....bad sweet shrimp is BAD) - AF

12-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I agree about the nori. I tried tobiko with quail egg and I didn't really like it, but not because I didn't like them (although the tobiko did seem a little bland), it was because I didn't like the nori very much.

cdxx
12-22-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
salmon sashimi
spicy salmon rolls
shrimp tempura

[/ QUOTE ]

while most places have Tekka Don, most commonly tuna sashimi on a bowl of rice, a good place will substitute salmon for tuna, and then it is heaven. there are a couple of places that have it on the menu as Sake Don or Salmon Don.