PDA

View Full Version : $11: ITM villain bets the paired flop

12-21-2005, 11:52 PM
No real reads on Dj other than that he hasn't done anything completely foolish yet.

Seat 4: Hero [9S,10H] ($4,485)
Seat 5: DjHavok ($3,640)
Seat 6: 10691096 ($6,875)

ANTES/BLINDS
Hero posts blind ($150), DjHavok posts blind ($300).

PRE-FLOP
10691096 folds, Hero calls $150, DjHavok checks.

FLOP [board cards 6C,8S,8C ]
Hero checks, DjHavok bets $600, Hero bets $4,185 and is all-in, DjHavok calls $2,740 and is all-in.

Whenever someone leads out on a flop like this I automatically think theres about a 90% chance they have nothing. Turns out he had deuces, and made a very nice call, even though I hit my 9 on the turn. Was this +EV and how would you have played it differently?

bluefeet
12-22-2005, 12:26 AM
Your assumption, and your reaction do not meet. If you are coming over because "there's about a 90% chance they have nothing", than a number of raises less than all-in would have been equally effective...giving yourself an exit for the other 10% of the time.

That said, I'm usually looking to lead on a ton of whiffed flops with a hand that I chose to complete PF.

So player/image/table dependant, but I'm also doing my share of PF raising with this hand.

12-22-2005, 01:19 AM
I agree about preflop...normally I fold or raise here and can't say what told me to limp.

I think the more interesting question is whether to just raise or go all in. The benefit of just raising would be that you could fold if he reraises. But with the gutshot and possibly 6 more outs (10 or 9), I didn't want to put in say 1200, and then have to fold for ~2400 more without giving myself the chance to outdraw him.

With something like J3, I think it's obvious that going all in is a waste when you can just raise and lower the risk. With my hand I'm still not sure...

bluefeet
12-22-2005, 01:42 AM
FWIW, I think completing is perfectly fine. Just pointing out that I'd generally take the stab more times than not.

To answer your question, I wouldn't do either - I'd fold behind his lead. It's possible even an 8 is playing this fast on this draw friendly flop. Regarding the raising line? I'll give you that it isn't much less attractive than the raise..but MORE effective perhaps. For starters, I don't see a hand that doesn't have the 8 pushing over a c-raise. But consider this: You raised because "no way he plays an 8 this fast". Could a 6 (or other PP) come to this same conclusion seeing you dump 4,100 chips into a 1,500 pot?

IF you elect to move on this pot, I think the c-raise serves you better. When we're not pushed over (but called), we can pretty safely assume he doesn't have an 8. Now open-pushing a turn non-club might seal the deal, getting the draws, 6's (22's) to give it up. Raising to 1300 gives him a full 2k to consider retaining, now not being able to discredit YOUR 8. Granted, a pretty dicey - if not unnecessary line, but if you're willing to get them all in at some point regardless of being behind virtually ANY hand, this might be a better way to go about it.