PDA

View Full Version : Question about 5-10

mojobluesman
12-21-2005, 10:14 PM
Do you think it's possible to have a winning game at $5-$10 with a VPIP of 10% and PreFlop Raise of 5%?

Essentially you would be passing most of the speculative and marginally profitable hands like 22-66, QJo, QTo, KTo, KJo, JTo, suited connectors, and a few others.

toss
12-21-2005, 10:17 PM
Probably not, and why would you even want to play that way? Please tell me you're not going to play that way.

mojobluesman
12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
I have no intention of playing that way.

Right now I play mostly .50 - $1.00 and $1-$2 where my VPIP is 15.25% and preflop Raise is 8.5%. I have a solidly winning game at that level and will probably try $2-$4 within a couple of months. (.50- 1.00 = +3.65BB per 100 and $1-$2 = 1.75BB per 100 after 20K hands)

The thing is I can only play optimally at 2 tables. I occasionally stretch it to 3 tables, but then I start to make some mistakes here or there that after the fact seem obvious.

Someone suggested to me that I cut out all the speculative and marginally profitable hands. He said I would lose very little in the way of profits per table, but that the reduced action per table would actually allow me to play 4 tables at once and net out to greater profits. Plus I would clear bonuses more quickly.

I was curious if anyone had attempted something like that or had any insights into whether something like that might work as you move up the ladder past the fish.

toss
12-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I'm sure a lot of people 8-table Party 2/4 with rockish stats, but thats not going to cut it at Party 5/10. You'll get your blinds stolen like crazy and you need to steal blinds to survive. You'll be better off concentrating on two tables and getting better at poker instead of mindlessly 8-tabling and learning nothing.

mojobluesman
12-21-2005, 10:44 PM
That's my feeling too. He did have success at 2-4 and 3-6 that way, but he did play some of those hands in blind stealing situations.

Now he's playing 5-10. Not sure what's happening so far.

I would think that sooner or later it's not going to work anymore. I guess it's a matter of if you want to move up the ladder or bonus whore at lower limits.

toss
12-22-2005, 02:34 AM
Yeah it depends on your goals and stuff. If your satisfied chugging away at lower limits and bonus whoring then fine. If you want to hit the big leagues and make big fat $$ then you have to keep on improving.

GHL
12-22-2005, 02:58 AM
I'll go against the grain here...

I have played a lot of hands on Party.. Paradise.. and UB... a few on Stars.. and Doyles room...

If you play on party... You can absolutely be successful with that sort of play because you "rarely" see the same players again.... I don't think you play enough hands against most players to build a significant repor with them.... not saying its optimal.. but I just don't think on Party they notice..

The other sites... we'll you will see the same players a lot more.. and what you did yesterday or last week will be remembered.. probably written down....

so I guess it depends.. to me at least.

ackid
12-22-2005, 05:04 AM
No.

12-22-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you play on party... You can absolutely be successful with that sort of play because you "rarely" see the same players again....

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your reasoning. I play on Full Tilt mostly and I feel like I could tell you reads on 90% of players without even looking at player notes/stats. On Party, you need HUD and Poker Tracker running to figure out who these people are. However, playing that little amount of hands won't win. The marginally profitable hands are still profitable as long as you play well after the flop. Work on that game...and steal blinds which is crucial in 5/10...much more so than in 1/2 and 2/4.