PDA

View Full Version : Trying to fold an overpair

12-21-2005, 07:14 PM
Live 30/60 game, 6 handed at the moment. I should have a good image. Folded to a TAG CO, who I'd say plays in a typical 2+2 style, who raises. Button folds, too loose SB calls, I call with T /images/graemlins/club.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Flop comes down 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, I check, CO bets, SB calls, I raise. CO 3bets reasonably quickly. SB rechecks his cards and folds, I call.

Turn is 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I donk, he raises quickly again, I 3bet in tempo, he pauses for a minute, looks at me quizzically, and calls.

River is 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
I check with the intent of folding to a bet.

Questions:
Am I just spewing on the turn?
Is it worth the bet on the river?

DpR
12-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Well in regards to the subject, you will never ever fold an overpair in a blind steal situation unless there is a four flush or four straight on the board. Even then you get called down frequently.

I think the three betting the turn is just a little too much. Its not rediculous though.....

Sykes
12-21-2005, 11:28 PM
I rather check-raise the turn than donk/3bet because if you get 3 bet on the turn you can know for sure your hand is no good.

Plus the c/r line on the turn is best because if you catch your straight/flush on the river, you can check-raise again.

12-21-2005, 11:46 PM
I like a bet/call here. If your opponent was pushing hard w/ overcards or an underpair he'll be hard pressed to raise you again unless you are beat or he is a gangster. On the river it's read dependent when you miss. I'd like to say I'm disciplined enough to fold since you are almost for sure beat but lately I've been calling. Obviously a flaw in my game

wheeler
12-22-2005, 07:29 AM
Say your opponent has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Then you have 46% equity, so you're not really losing much by putting in lots of bets on the turn, if there's any chance you can get him to fold an overpair. I think the donk bet/3 bet line is a bit too suspicious though. Why not check/raise and 4 bet?

Personally though, I don't recall when I last tried to make someone fold an overpair heads-up. It works like never. Maybe it's a bit different live.