PDA

View Full Version : racial slurs other than [censored]

[censored]
12-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I got a PM about someone using the word chink in a post and requesting that it be filtered. if [censored] is I guess this makes sense too

[censored] = n igger

timprov
12-21-2005, 06:17 PM
Chink is one of those that has non-racial meanings as well, so shouldn't be censored.

Evan
12-21-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chink is one of those that has non-racial meanings as well, so shouldn't be censored.

[/ QUOTE ]
For similar reasons I don't think h0mo should be censored.

MrWookie47
12-21-2005, 06:46 PM
I'd be curious if the filter keeps statistics on how often it censors various words. Does h0mo even get used much? I've used it a couple of times, but only because I was quoting Latin.

Mat Sklansky
12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
homosexual, homogenous. is there much reason for [censored] to be used alone?

[censored]
12-21-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is ok with me. I don't really care either way, and I feel the same towards [censored]. I just don't really get offended by words.

Mike Haven
12-21-2005, 08:50 PM
That's the case for most [censored]s.

timprov
12-21-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] sapiens?

Mat Sklansky
12-22-2005, 03:34 AM
who on a poker site feels that [censored] sapien is ever necessary, and whom among them can't deal with a little fudge and type Homosapien?

Evan
12-22-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
who on a poker site feels that [censored] sapien is ever necessary, and whom among them can't deal with a little fudge and type Homosapien?

[/ QUOTE ]
I only brought this up because someone in OOT wrote [censored] sapian twice in a post today and it was censored.

Evan
12-22-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you can say "homosexual" then what's the point of censoring "[censored]"?

Mat Sklansky
12-22-2005, 04:12 AM
don't be a [censored] evan.

AngryCola
12-22-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
If you can say "homosexual" then what's the point of censoring "[censored]"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Homosexual isn't always used in a derogatory way.

Mat Sklansky
12-22-2005, 04:23 AM
cola, you're fagnificent.

that's a good one, isn't it?

bobbyi
12-22-2005, 04:24 AM
[censored] sapiens (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/dosearch.php)

Mat Sklansky
12-22-2005, 04:27 AM
Evan, I'm just teasing, i assume you realize. None of the "stupid" stuff that happens on these forums is about what makes sense. It's a ratings game. I can understand how that fact may suck when you think about it, but that's what it comes down to. Fortunately the core of this site is built on more than fluff, but at the end of the day that may only be coincidence.

AngryCola
12-22-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

that's a good one, isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried to come up with a clever response to this, but I got nothin'.

Fagnificent was a good choice. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

B Dids
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM
The thing is that basically nobody uses "h0mo" as an insult. It's almost always got enough ironic content that I can't imagine people being offended. I'd think that's a safe enough word to un censor.

I'd like us to add fucksteak, 'cause it's basically my favorite word but since I'm being good I never say it since I know it will get past the censor.

Mike Haven
12-22-2005, 01:55 PM
i've never heard the word fucksteak before - what does it mean?

in the same vein, maybe we should ban shitwad and bollockchops? leave cockfeeler though, of course, for use when a [censored] makes a [censored] sugggestion

Mat Sklansky
12-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Cola gets to be in charge of the censor filter. i have no opinion for the time being homoh included.

MrWookie47
12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, we could always uncensor it on a trial basis. Let it go, and see if anyone is using it in a demeaning manor. If so, it's not too hard to reban it.

I agree that fagnificient is great.

[censored]
12-22-2005, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The thing is that basically nobody uses "h0mo" as an insult. It's almost always got enough ironic content that I can't imagine people being offended. I'd think that's a safe enough word to un censor.

I'd like us to add fucksteak, 'cause it's basically my favorite word but since I'm being good I never say it since I know it will get past the censor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive always liked [censored]

edit whoah [censored] - tard is already filtered

timprov
12-22-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dyketacular.

[censored]
12-22-2005, 04:54 PM
how about fuckstick

B Dids
12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i've never heard the word fucksteak before - what does it mean?

in the same vein, maybe we should ban shitwad and bollockchops? leave cockfeeler though, of course, for use when a [censored] makes a [censored] sugggestion

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure it means anything. I just started saying it.

I typically use to describe somebody, like "that fucksteak just cut me off".

It's a really fantastic word.

Greg J
12-22-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dyketacular.

[/ QUOTE ]
A gay friend of mine once told an old gf of mine (a notorious faghag) "girl, you are fagtabulous!"

(Please no comments on the fact that I dated a faghag /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

AngryCola
12-22-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what Mat said earlier in this thread. There just doesn't seem to be any need for people to use "h0mo" by itself. Gay is still (correctly, IMO) uncensored, and people use that as an insult every day. I'm not sure that I understand the reasoning behind giving another option.

Is not being able to say h0mo really a big deal to people?

Before I became a a mod, one of my first posts about moderation was about how I thought the profanity filter was silly and unnecessary. But I understand the reasoning behind it at this point.

Now it seems silly to me that people would care about not being able to call someone a h0mo without it being censored. But if you guys can convince me that removing it from the censored list would be good for the site, I will change it.

B Dids
12-22-2005, 07:23 PM
I just think that when the h0mo in [censored] sapiens is censored it looks really silly and makes 2p2 seems awfully reactionary.

Mike Haven
12-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Wait until you ask a Party player from my old home town of Scunthorpe where he's from.

[censored]
12-22-2005, 08:39 PM
my argruement would be that calling someone a h omo is on par with something like deuchebag or retard than it is with [censored]. Since I dont think anyone wants a site that is filtered to the extent where we cant call some one a god damned deuchebag retard then we should only censor those words that are truly offensive to the majority of the members. I dont think h omo rises to that level

also I would add s lut as well should not be filtered, im all for banning some prick who calls a female memeber a s lut but I dont think the word should be censored entirely.

AngryCola
12-22-2005, 08:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my argruement would be that calling someone a h omo is on par with something like deuchebag or retard than it is with [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the censored word is here, but neither of your examples have anything to do with sexual orientation. To use h0mo as an insult almost always implies that there is something wrong with being a homosexual.

That's my take on it, and I believe it's at least part of the reasoning behind f.ag and fagg0t being censored, too.

Mike Haven
12-22-2005, 09:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To use XXX as an insult almost always implies that there is something wrong with being a XXX.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good basis for censoring certain words.

AngryCola
12-22-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To use XXX as an insult almost always implies that there is something wrong with being a XXX.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good basis for censoring certain words.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it's a good enough reason in this case.

Although Mat did say that I am now in charge of the censor, I'm not going to uncensor previously banned words without a really good reason. As I said, someone will have to convince me that it will be good for the site.

EDIT-

Yes, I could've chosen better wording to make my point, Mike. But I'm pretty sure everyone understands what I was getting at.

[censored]
12-22-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my argruement would be that calling someone a h omo is on par with something like deuchebag or retard than it is with [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the censored word is here, but neither of your examples have anything to do with sexual orientation. To use h0mo as an insult almost always implies that there is something wrong with being a homosexual.

That's my take on it, and I believe it's at least part of the reasoning behind f.ag and fagg0t being censored, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

the censored word was f ag

my point is h omo is not really different from chink, spic wetback or retard? I think we should focus on the idoits who use words in a way that could be harmful the site (flaming, etc) than the actual words

B Dids
12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
I'd gleefully censor spic and wetback.

Sniper
12-22-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my point is h omo is not really different from chink, spic wetback or retard? I think we should focus on the idoits who use words in a way that could be harmful the site (flaming, etc) than the actual words

[/ QUOTE ]

If this thread has done anything, its made it perfectly clear that anyone that wants to type any of these words has any number of ways to circumvent the profanity filter!

FWIW, Evan holds this months record for profanity in the Stock Market forum /images/graemlins/wink.gif

AngryCola
12-22-2005, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the censored word was f ag

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that I see any reason for spic and wetback not being filtered. Retard is one that would probably generate more complaints about it being censored than not.

I assume that one of the reasons h0mo was censored is because Mat received complaints about it.

Probably my last point about h0mo is that it seems like more people would complain about it being allowed than it being censored. And if there actually were complaints about it before it went on the list, I just don't see the need to bring it back. It's not like people out there are clamoring for this word to be uncensored. In fact, I haven't seen anyone mention it outside of this forum for a week or two. Obviously someone could have mentioned it during that time, but I haven't seen it.

Again, this should be about the possible postives and negatives for the site allowing this word.
Dids made a good point, IMO. But I'm not sure if it's enough to uncensor the word.

AngryCola
12-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Dids,

A [censored] like you would say that. Man, you are such a [censored].