PDA

View Full Version : watch me screw up trips against Entity

Wynton
12-21-2005, 03:27 PM
This is why I don't usually review hands from a bad session. I find things that make me groan.

5/10. Villain, I later learned, is Entity.

All fold to Entity, who raises from button. SB calls. I call with 44 in bb.

Flop is Q43 rainbow. SB checks, and I bet. Entity raises, sb folds and I call.

Turn is 9. I c/r, and Entity folds.

I know I didn't maximize profit here. What would have been best?

milesdyson
12-21-2005, 03:32 PM
i think the worst part of your line is that it has a good chance to knock out sb.

but really you're not going to extract much on this board vs. entity. say it were JT4 double suited, you're money.

so i check raise this flop, hoping to get sb in the mix and hoping that entity has a queen or a pocket pair he decides to showdown. or maybe he peels with a hand like KJs with a bdfd.

dealer_toe
12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
I think if you're going to donk the flop and call the raise, you should try to donk/3bet the turn. I'd say try that if you didn't know it was entity which you didn't. If you knew it was entity, I'd try for a flop c/r, but I'm a c/r'ing freak and usually get good value out of them.

wheelz
12-21-2005, 03:34 PM
i think your classic c/r the flop, bet the whole way line usually works best. if he 3-bets the flop then i c/r the turn.

12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
had you been playing with Entity for enough time to get a line on his play?
if so, i would imagine that you saw he was a good player who would make a continuation bet on this ragged flop 100% of the time, making a flop c/r mandatory.

mackthefork
12-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Is betting the turn not better? Looks weaker imo, like covering a free card play, maybe it would have a better chance of being called down.

Mack

Wynton
12-21-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had you been playing with Entity for enough time to get a line on his play?
if so, i would imagine that you saw he was a good player who would make a continuation bet on this ragged flop 100% of the time, making a flop c/r mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't remember whether I had any read on him at all by that time, but I certainly didn't know it was Entity specifically.

On the other hand, I probably assumed he was one of a million lagtards at that site (Absolute), which definitely gave me ample reason to assume he'd bet.

LoaferGee12
12-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Hmm, why did you donk that flop? I check-raise here every time.

geormiet
12-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Your play shows huge strength and is the most revealing of your hand. By just betting and raising, or checkraising the flop and leading on, he will put you on a much wider range and you'll get more A high call downs. And if he does have a big hand this will get you more money anyway.

TomBrooks
12-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I checkraise the flop and lead out the turn.

Wynton
12-21-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, why did you donk that flop? I check-raise here every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

My working theory is that I was temporarily possessed.

Yads
12-21-2005, 06:32 PM
I'd check raise the flop to try and trap SB. If you're going to bet out, you have to 3-bet when he raises you. bet calling the flop and check raising a blank river screams set.

27offsooot
12-21-2005, 06:57 PM
I c/r this flop, then lead the turn or if he three bets, i donk bet-3-bet more aggro, stupid players and c/r better players, like w/ entity.

Entity
12-21-2005, 10:53 PM
In all fairness, it's hard to squeeze blood from a turnip. I was just trying to bluff you. The only way you would have gotten more money (no way for you to know this) is to call and checkraise the river. I thought you had a 54s-type hand and your stats appeared as such that I thought you would lay your hand down to a turn bet.

Wynton
12-22-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
your stats appeared as such that I thought you would lay your hand down to a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might actually be helpful to me. I suspect that I am overly prone to lay down to turn bets. But can you tell me what stats led you to that conclusion?