PDA

View Full Version : Online hand play question.

grooboggle
07-24-2003, 07:31 PM
I just played this hand online and two of the othe players involed called me lucky I think I played it correctly and just wanted your opinions. I was online at Party on the 1/2 six player limit table. I was dealt A clubs J clubs and checked in. I thought I should perhaps raise but everyone plays so loose I wouldn't have scared anyone off anyway. The flop came K clubs 4 hearts 7 clubs we still had five players involved in the hand. A raising frenzy commences and at the end of the max raises everyone was still there /images/graemlins/confused.gif I am thinking well no one has pocket K's cause so many are hanging in there but its weird everyone is raising. A 2 clubs comes I am thinking jackpot I have the nut flush I am good another round of insane max raising begins and I ride along figgering no one has the kings everyone still hangs in there. /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif I do no raising and the pot is maxed. The river comes 7 spades now I think well pocket kings got me and K7 has me and I suppose some maniac could be hanging in there with three now four of a kind 7's but the raising commences and maxes out with me only calling because I figure God hates me and pocket kings and sevens are going to be shown but hell if I'm folding the nut flush. I win. Two players accuse me of being lucky!?! My question is what were they holding I would have probably folded any other flush myself and would have been out long ago with the trips sevens I probably wouldn't have stayed in with the pocket kings for the river facing all the raises versus a flush draw. My play may have not been the best. But lucky? shoot I think winning a maxed out pot with a pair of Kings or Sevens would have been lucky in low limit but I dunno. Well thanks for any input on things I may not be seeing. Todd

SoBeDude
07-24-2003, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...The flop came K clubs 4 hearts 7 clubs we still had five players involved in the hand. A raising frenzy commences and at the end of the max raises everyone was still there /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the action on the flop. If you checked, and it was 4 bets to you to call all at once, you should not have made that call, you don't have the pot odds.

If it was bet to you, you raised, then it got re-raised, your call was fine.

-Scott

p.s. raise preflop with suited AJ! That is a doubly-monsterous hand on a short-handed table.

JTG51
07-24-2003, 11:53 PM
It depends on the action on the flop. If you checked, and it was 4 bets to you to call all at once, you should not have made that call, you don't have the pot odds.

That's not true. We don't have all the details, so I'll just look at the worst possible scenario.

If 5 players limped preflop, then the action was bet, raise, 3-bet, cap before it got to Hero he'd be getting 15-4 odds with no more raising possible and as many as 10 more bets to go into the pot. Folding would be a very big mistake.

Aragorn
07-25-2003, 12:20 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about people grumbling at the table. Sure you were lucky. You made your flush. You could just as easily have paid your way to the river and missed.

But that doesn't mean you played poorly. It sounds like you played just fine.

BTW, I would have looked at a hand history to see what hands all those other folks were going nuts over.

Homer
07-25-2003, 12:22 AM

Huh? For it to be 4 bets to him, there must be at least 4 other players involved in the hand, so he's getting 4:1 on the call (assuming everyone else calls the cap) but is only 2:1 against making the flush by the river. Every additional bet that goes in is making him money.

Folding here would be disasterous.

-- Homer

zamora
07-25-2003, 05:00 AM
i should not worry to much about people calling you lucky.
i have seen this happen more and more at party lately.

players, who are not to skillful themselves, are calling other players "fishie" and are giving out advice on how to play the hands that just beat them.

i think it is due to all the new players that have read one or maybe just half a book and now consider themselves
to be semi-experts.

of course, we all feel the sour grapes when loosing a big pot that we feel we should have won, and it is more than once i have deleted some not so mature words aimed for the guy making the runner-runner to beat me.

btw, i dont think calling AJs on a shorthanded table ever could be a catastrophic mistake, regardless of position and previous betting. it would be very interesting however to see what kind of cards your opponents held. my guess is AK, AA, Qc 7 and maybe XXo.

take care