PDA

View Full Version : Was folding this set of 2's correct?

12-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Villian has been playing tag as far as I've paid attention. I've got into some pf battles w/ him, but never past pf. He'll at least backoff pf when he knows he's beat. Other than that I don't have much of a line on his play.

My thinking on the flop was to continue to let him bet my hand and cr on turn. Then the turn scared me and my thinking on the hand changed. He didn't seem to be scared of the flush card on turn, so it wasn't till this point that I considered he might have been raising a draw. Do you think I gave him too much credit for a bigger hand than me? Tear into me. This is my first HH post /images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP2 ($92.70)
Hero ($98.70)
CO ($88.60)
Button ($83)
SB ($121.08)
BB ($213.30)
UTG ($60.55)
UTG+1 ($85.40)
MP1 ($160.80)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls $1, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($4) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $7</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($18) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $12</font>, Hero calls $12.

River: ($42) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $35</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $77

12-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Why are you checking that turn? It doesn't look like he has the flush. I would bet the turn and river. He didn't raise flop so he doesn't have a set of AA or QQ.
Bet the turn and river.

12-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Reraise the flop and try and get it in. Why would you wait until the turn to check raise with a board like this. He clearly likes his hand. Get the money in or make him pay for his draw.

People_Mover
12-21-2005, 01:57 PM
reraise flop. Push turn. You must hate money to fold this

12-21-2005, 02:01 PM
I agree I totally bumbled this play. I wish I woulda came over top on flop in hindsight. I was getting too greedy as I do w/ sets. Would a blocking bet on river been good given my turn play? And would you fold to big raise?

As played I really felt I was beat on river.

unlucky513
12-21-2005, 02:02 PM
call

4_2_it
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Yuck. Misplayed every street. I can't decide if failure to 3-bet the flop, lead the turn or call turn/fold river on non-scare card is the worst play.

Make a real bet on the flop and 3-bet hard. Turn is all-in. If he is a TAG, he isn't chasing a flush. Never slow play a set, especially a set of 2's.

You hit a great flop for 22 and now you are afraid to bet it and eventually wind up folding it?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I will end my post with these words of wisdom from TWP (HOF SSNL poster): "Stop being a pansy."

12-21-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm afraid of flush as I put him on draw after the fact. He obviously wasn't concerned I might have flush even though my flop bet/call could be seen as a semibluff/call on a flush draw.

12-21-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yuck. Misplayed every street. I can't decide if failure to 3-bet the flop, lead the turn or call turn/fold river on non-scare card is the worst play.

Make a real bet on the flop and 3-bet hard. Turn is all-in. If he is a TAG, he isn't chasing a flush. Never slow play a set, especially a set of 2's.

You hit a great flop for 22 and now you are afraid to bet it and eventually wind up folding it?
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I will end my post with these words of wisdom from TWP (HOF SSNL poster): "Stop being a pansy."

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! That is what I wanted to hear. I just needed to hear it from someone more knowledgable than me I guess. Very helpful advice. Much appreciated.

4_2_it
12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
You are very welcome. Don't be a stranger on the boards. Keep posting hands. I guarantee you are not the only person who does things like this.

12-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I could use help on this one too.

I would pot the flop, if he raised, I would come back over the top with a pot size raise or possibly push to protect against a flush draw. Am I being overly paranoid of a flush with a move like this?

4_2_it
12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I could use help on this one too.

I would pot the flop, if he raised, I would come back over the top with a pot size raise or possibly push to protect against a flush draw. Am I being overly paranoid of a flush with a move like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the villain. If I've seen him overpay for draws, I'd 3-bet it in the $25-$30 range and will push any turn. Villain is going to have to showdown a better hand to take this pot away.

Bet whatever you think will get villain pot committed to call your turn bet. If you think he will a flop 3-bet push, then go for it. This is a spot where you need to have a read on villain to determine how best to extract.

12-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Other then the must 3-bet on the flop, as others have addressed, I actually like your play. I would put villian on A /images/graemlins/heart.gif x /images/graemlins/heart.gif after his flop and turn play. For that reason I like the call on the turn, you only need to make another ~15 if you boat on the river to break even if he does have the flush. If he doesn't have flush I dont think he fires the large river bet. But yea, gotta 3-bet flop and possibly block the riv IMO.

12-21-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree I totally bumbled this play. I wish I woulda came over top on flop in hindsight. I was getting too greedy as I do w/ sets. Would a blocking bet on river been good given my turn play? And would you fold to big raise?

As played I really felt I was beat on river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole purpose of slowplaying to get your opponent to put more money into the pot.

He is already do so, making the slowplay pointless.

According to Doyle Brunson, if you flop a set, be prepared to lose some money.

12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

The whole purpose of slowplaying to get your opponent to put more money into the pot.

He is already do so, making the slowplay pointless.

According to Doyle Brunson, if you flop a set, be prepared to lose some money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point