PDA

View Full Version : $22 SnG: Blind Battle (Scuba lessons)

kevstreet
12-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

MP1 (t930)
MP2 (t715)
CO (t2680)
Button (t955)
Hero (t920)
BB (t810)
UTG (t990)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
5 folds, Hero raises to t150</font>, BB calls t100.

Flop: (t300) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB bets t175</font>, Hero is all in!

Like, dislike, standard?

12-21-2005, 10:21 AM
Maybe I am a coward but with three overcards on the flop I'd fold this pretty quickly...

pergesu
12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Wow...uh, first of all I'm going to eliminate "standard" as an option. Like 110% not standard.

Why'd you check to him? Do you think he's some sneaky player that will only bet non-pair hands? That's a hell of a read that I'm guessing you don't really have.

Just bet the flop if you want. It probably missed him, and you can lead out like 175 or something and he'll probably fold. But here you decided to give up the hand..so give it up.

This is just really ugly, imo. Makes my head hurt this late in the morning.

edit: This is a totally serious question. wtf were you thinking? I'd like to know the thought process that led you to check it to him and then push..

1C5
12-21-2005, 10:24 AM
It's different, I will give you that.

12-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Im sure the guy folded or else you wouldnt have posted this but its still awful.

12-21-2005, 10:40 AM
lead flop 1/2 pot. fold to aggression. 22 unfortunately isn't terribly strong, but then again a hand that he'd have called a pf raise with may not have fared so well on this board. then again you could be pwned. that's why you lead to find out. more often then not, villain just folds after whiffing on flop.

kevstreet
12-21-2005, 11:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf were you thinking? I'd like to know the thought process that led you to check it to him and then push..

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I was going to preface this post by saying "Scuba you're killing me w/ the blind battle posts" obviously this is not something I'd normally pull off. My thought process was that I showed strength preflop w/ a solid raise and was going to play the hand as if I actually held AA, KK, AQ, etc. In that situation, I sometimes check-raise if I'm real strong. He took a while to bet, the only way he calls is if he has a Queen. Again, this is an aberration or else I woudln't have posted it. Thanks for your comments fellas.

12-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Villain has put almost half his stack in the pot at this point. I don't think he folds.

I also don't like the size of his bet. Depending on the player, most won't fire over half the pot on a stone bluff.

12-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Why not wait until BB is 100 before attacking?

12-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Why even ask this question? It is reads-based 100%. Unless you have shown a tight image and have reason to believe BB will fold small Q's+2nd and 3rd pair, there is no reason to make this play - why mess with BB out of position preflop?

If there is specific info on him and you decide to mess, lead the flop. Check-raising is horrid b.c you committ your opponent while holding a very weak hand.

Useless post though w/o specifications - If there are no reads, you don't mess.

12-21-2005, 01:21 PM
I fold preflop because it's not worth the battle and it cultivates a tight/weak image that you can exploit to steal blinds when it matters.

12-21-2005, 02:10 PM
V good point - another important consideration

12-21-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure the guy folded or else you wouldnt have posted this but its still awful.

[/ QUOTE ]
My guess would be the guy called.

If you have a really big hand (overpair, set) with no flush or straight draw (he didn't call the pf raise with 54) on the board there's no reason to try to push villain off his hand. So, a really thinking villain would realize the push is a play with something less -- you'd make it more attractive for him to call if you were sure you were ahead and not scared of draws.

But, the thing with your play is really that you want to be able to get him to fold when he is ahead of you. At the $22s, I don't think you're pushing players off TPTK or even TPGK. Maybe at higher buy-ins you can push people of when they're ahead, but I doubt you can enough at the $22s to make the all-in profitable.