PDA

View Full Version : Good line or plain stupid?

rannerboy
12-21-2005, 06:49 AM
I played some 6-max $50 NL at Party yesterday. My stack was slightly over $50 when the following hand occured:

I pick up A /images/graemlins/spade.gifA /images/graemlins/diamond.gif UTG and raise to $2.

UTG+1 reraises to $5. His stack is also around $50.

Everyone else fold to me.

I only have around 30-40 hands on him but he has been rather tight and quiet so far. He haven't raised much preflop and I have not seen a single reraise from him yet. Now he reraises my UTG raise. Hmmm....

I reraise all-in.

This is an unusual line for me with AA but my reasoning behind the all-in raise was as follows:

1) I'm pretty sure he's on KK or QQ.

2) My overbet will probably make him put me on a worse hand, like JJ-88 or AK/AQ.

3) If I reraise to something like 15-20 it screams AA to him.

4) If he has QQ/KK and one or more overcards flops it will be hard to get his whole stack.

Of course my read could be off and he could have reraised with hands like AK or JJ/TT in which case he'll probably lay his hand down. On the other hand he might also fold these hands even to a smaller reraise.

In this particular hand he had KK and called my raise. Did I make a good play or was I just lucky? Do I get more value from AA by just reraising to 15-20 every time?

xorbie
12-21-2005, 06:52 AM
looks fine against a tight player, but you wont lose him by making it 15-20 here.

rannerboy
12-21-2005, 07:00 AM
I'm more afraid to lose him on the flop when I will probably push no matter what the flop comes. For example he won't be able to call a pot sized flop bet with QQ on a K high flop.

I also can put myself in a position where I make a big mistake on the flop if I push and he has hit a set with his QQ or KK.

cardsharkk04
12-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Most of the time a raise to 15-20 is good, except when you have a very good read, like in this case. A lot of players really want to see that flop, especially with tens or jacks, so its important not to scare those guys off.

xorbie
12-21-2005, 07:10 AM
my philosophy with betting with the nuts/near nuts is that i am trying to minimize the following things:

1. big bets villain has to call
2. raises villain has to call
3. decisions villain has to make

in that order

so with that said, im either trying to call this flop and lead the flop and 3-bet all in (thus raising him just the one time and never leaving him needing to call a huge ass bet) or raising to 15-20 and then pushing the flop, which minimizes the number of big ass bets he needs to call.