PDA

View Full Version : Rude Old People and their Words of Wisdom!

Talk2BigSteve
12-21-2005, 06:30 AM
Today I was standing outside Wal-Mart finishing my cigarette (yes I am smoking again /images/graemlins/shocked.gif) and minding my peace, when a old man comes out wearing these....
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/7135/5417354dm.jpg

....and says loudly to me, "Didn't you mother ever tell you smoking will kill you?"

Well now we have christmas shoppers and even the Jesus' Red Army Bellringer's attention waiting for my response to the Wrinkle of Wisdom.

To which I replied also loadly "Yeah, and she also told me that masturbating will make me go blind!"

Old people think they can impart there old age wisdom on whoever the hell they come across. Just because they are old does not make them some pillar of wisdom yet they feel they have a need to share. Why is that?

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

daryn
12-21-2005, 06:32 AM
so are you going to be sending a check to that anti-gay organization or whatever?

rusty JEDI
12-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Maybe he said it because he is right.

rJ

Talk2BigSteve
12-21-2005, 06:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so are you going to be sending a check to that anti-gay organization or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I am waiting to see if it gets mailed. I don't have it. I wrote it this time for $500, since I renigged on the last one for $250 when I had my wreck. I sure as hell hope not. But it is does oh well I can't blame anyone for what I do.

Talk2BigSteve
12-21-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he said it because he is right.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he just needs to keep his oppinions to himself. Like I can't watch the news, or read the side of the box.

rusty JEDI
12-21-2005, 07:12 AM
Whatever age you are now, I bet you wish you had your knowledge now 5 years ago and think you did some dumb things or would do something different. Now it goes the same for the 5 years before that and so on. Does this ever really stop? Im only 26 so i havent found the endpoint yet, but im pretty sure when im 30 I will be wishing i had the knowledge i have at 30 when i was 26.

As long as it has nothing to do with electronics or bank cards old peoples ramblings should probably be looked at a little more closely.

rJ

Stuey
12-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Do you find that quitting is getting easier?

I tried to stop smoking like a thousand times till this last time and it has been over 4 years now I think. I don't even keep track anymore.

I could start any day though they are good hey?

gl steve /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blarg
12-21-2005, 07:19 AM
I see smoking is making you very tense.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 07:23 AM
Once you get old you'll almost certainly have known many people who have gotten cancer, and it's not unlikely you'll have known some who have died from it.

Talk about life and death is a little less snotty than it might appear from old people. Even if they haven't gotten there yet, they know what it means, and they've seen plenty. When they have something to say about the risks someone is taking, it might well have more understanding and empathy than it could be given credit for.

chesspain
12-21-2005, 07:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Today I was standing outside Wal-Mart finishing my cigarette (yes I am smoking again /images/graemlins/shocked.gif) and minding my peace, when a old man comes out wearing these....
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/7135/5417354dm.jpg

....and says loudly to me, "Didn't your mother ever tell you smoking cock will kill you?"

Well now we have christmas shoppers and even the Jesus' Red Army Bellringer's attention waiting for my response to the Wrinkle of Wisdom.

To which I replied also loadly "Yeah, and she also told me that masturbating will make me go blind!"

Old people think they can impart there old age wisdom on whoever the hell they come across. Just because they are old does not make them some pillar of wisdom yet they feel they have a need to share. Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[I realize that as a learned man I should not have engaged in such juvenile editing...but I couldn't resist. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif]

Gunny Highway
12-21-2005, 07:57 AM
What annoys me is other peoples attitudes about old people. They let old people get away with everyhting just because they're old. Everytime I hear some thing like, "They're old. They deserve it," I want to kick someone's ass.

People do not suddenly turn nice because they're old. These same old people were just plain assholes when they were young, and a lot of them are still assholes. Now there are some good and wise old people that are deserving of respect. But they're not deserving of respect just because just because they're old.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Everybody's deserving of respect until they prove different.

Gunny Highway
12-21-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody's deserving of respect until they prove different.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily agree. I think respect has to be earned, but I think we're talking a slightly different definition of respect.

Regardless, I suppose in my post, respect was not the correct word to use. I was not talking about giving common courtesy. I was talking about a reverence that allows people to overlook the old person being an [censored] just because they're old.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 09:08 AM
If you think respect has to be earned, then you're saying you don't deserve any either. At least until you jump through the hoops other people set for you pretty much at random. God forbid they're in a bad mood that day because the hoops will be higher and more narrow.

I don't think anybody deserves reverence, though, especially not lasting. That's more appropriate for ideas or gods or something. Applied to people, it usually just either turns them into monsters or winds up making you harbor a festering resentment toward them because of the unnatural and insupportable status you give them. There's a thin line between revering someone and hating them.

Gunny Highway
12-21-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think respect has to be earned, then you're saying you don't deserve any either. At least until you jump through the hoops other people set for you pretty much at random. God forbid they're in a bad mood that day because the hoops will be higher and more narrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But again, I think we're talking slightly different definitions of respect.

OtisTheMarsupial
12-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Yesterday I saw the rudest guy I've seen all year. He was about 30. He yelled a a lady saying, "You handicapped people are all alike. Lazy!" And he stole her seat in the cafe.

uw_madtown
12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But again, I think we're talking slightly different definitions of respect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg tapped a good word to describe the type of respect you're talking about: reverence.

Everyone is deserving of respect until they show otherwise.
No one is deserving of reverence until they show otherwise.

Gunny Highway
12-21-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blarg tapped a good word to describe the type of respect you're talking about: reverence.

Everyone is deserving of respect until they show otherwise.
No one is deserving of reverence until they show otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I used the word reverence, but that's not what I'm talking about either. I guess I'm talking about:

Respect - 1. A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem.

Deference - 1. Submission or courteous yielding to the opinion, wishes, or judgment of another.

I think you're talking about respect in terms of being worthy of common courtesy, etc. No? This is all shades of gray anyway and not really worth any further discussion. I don't think we're really in any disagreement.

uw_madtown
12-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Sorry, thought I read that in Blarg's post.

And yeah, there's no disagreement here I don't think. Just liked the word "reverence" to describe what people unnecessarily give old people simply due to their age.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Gunny was kind of using the word respect clumsily, so I thought, and so he tried to clear it up by talking about reverence also, and I commented on both respect and reverence from there.