PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Wars, Pat Roberston et al vs. All other theists.

Zeno
07-24-2003, 01:09 PM
I got the stuff below from an article in the Mother Jones link Chris posted. It deals with everyone’s favorite religious fanatic, theologian, and political aspirant –Pat Robertson. He was a little upset about a recent Supreme Court ruling and was mouthing off in his usual way……enjoy.

“On the Web site of his Christian Broadcasting Network, he said, "One justice is 83 years old, another has cancer and another has a heart condition. Would it not be possible for God to put it in the minds of these three judges that the time has come to retire?"

His appeal followed a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that decriminalized sodomy. On his Web site, he said this ruling opened the door to, among other things, homosexual marriages and bigamy.

Robertson talked with CNN anchor Paula Zahn.

ZAHN: First off, can you clarify for us or confirm who you were talking about? Were you talking about Justices John Paul Stephens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Sandra Day O'Connor?

ROBERTSON: That's correct. These are three people -- one's 83 years old, he's been there for an awful long time -- and I think our people are just so tired of this particular accord. I think they feel it's gotten out of control and we didn't know who else to appeal to, so we're appealing to the judge of all the Earth to see if there might not be some correction.

………………..Then further on in the interview……………….

ZAHN: But Rev. Robertson, do you understand why some people are offended, even though you're saying you're not telling your followers to pray for ill health for these three justices, that they could actually interpret it that way.

ROBERTSON: Well they can interpret it any way they want to. I'm talking to God, and it's up to him to make a decision and if some of these folks don't like what I'm praying for and want to pray the other way, have at it? Let the Lord decide."

Prayer Wars?!! This is rich. Just thinking about all the esoteric theological mumbo-jumbo implications makes my day. Hand me a voodoo doll – at least you get the proxy satisfaction of stinking a pin into someone.

-Zeno, Atheist and Misanthrope

MMMMMM
07-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Well, at least he didn't issue a fatwa sentencing Stephens, Ginsburg and O'Connor to death and calling on all good Christians to carry out the sentence.

John Cole
07-25-2003, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we didn't know who else to appeal to, so we're appealing to the judge of all the Earth to see if there might not be some correction. . .

[/ QUOTE ]

So far, I have yet to receive any sort of missive from Mr. Robertson.

brad
07-25-2003, 10:39 AM
this is from the pat robertson who said china is only 'doing what is has to do' regarding china's policy of forced abortion and infanticide.

ok.

christ is turning over in his grave (if he is in a grave or whatever i guess)