PDA

View Full Version : Serenity: the movie

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 03:37 AM
Wow. I just finished watching it. I would say, to totally enjoy this movie you should see the series, but I can honestly say I haven't seen a movie this good in years.

astroglide
12-21-2005, 03:39 AM
i'll end up seeing it anyway, but i don't remotely trust praise from people who watched the show.

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 03:43 AM
meh. I got the series about a month ago because I've been doing series like crazy since I don't get cable at school. And after putting down all seasons 24, the Shield, Entourage, Curb, Seinfeld, AD, Smallville, Undeclared, and some others I'm missing I decided to see what all the hype was about.

I'd say check the show out, then judge.

dblgutshot
12-21-2005, 03:44 AM
I never watched the series, but I do like sci fi.

I thought the movie was really good.

Jack of Arcades
12-21-2005, 03:44 AM
Anything with David Krumholtz can't be bad.

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 03:52 AM
haha, yes

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 03:55 AM
Apparently he's also going to be in this. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365830/)

The Yugoslavian
12-21-2005, 03:56 AM
Great movie....great show.

I hope they continue with more story...

I watched all epsidoes of the show and the movie 1 weekend with my sister. I can't remember everything well b/c of that but it was very rewarding to just experience it all in such a short time frame.

I give it all 8/10.

Yugoslav

fluxrad
12-21-2005, 03:58 AM
I give the movie 6/10.

I'm not really a fan of Joss Whedon, but I thoroughly enjoyed Buffy The Vampire Slayer so I thought I'd give Serenity a try (Note: Buffy the movie. I thought the show was an abomination).

All in all the special effects and acting were good, but I tend to agree with what one critic said - namely that the movie had the feel of a TV show put on the big screen (I'm thinking of the second MASH movie right now).

Anyway, once again Joss Whedon shows us he's a pretty good screenwriter, but he can't direct for [censored].

AngryCola
12-21-2005, 04:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really a fan of Joss Whedon, but I thoroughly enjoyed Buffy The Vampire Slayer so I thought I'd give Serenity a try (Note: Buffy the movie. I thought the show was an abomination).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards. The show is considerably better than the movie.

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Yeah, I do agree with this. But some of the one liners from this movie are priceless.

Azhrarn
12-21-2005, 04:05 AM
I really enjoyed the movie, but I was a big fan of the tv show, so my word is not to be trusted.

I like stuff that can mix humor and drama well.

EricW
12-21-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

This is backwards. The show is considerably better than the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And it's not even close.

Oh, and Serenity is a superb movie. Too bad folks didn't see it at the boxoffice.

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 04:07 AM
That's because the trailer was HORRIBLE.

Azhrarn
12-21-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. Interesting reaction. How much of the tv series did you see? I saw the Buffy movie when it came out in the theatres, and I liked it. When they made a tv show out of it, I resisted watching it for a few years, despite some friends telling me what a good show it was. I assumed any tv show based on a movie had to suck. But it quickly grew on me when I gave it a chance.

EricW
12-21-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's because the trailer was HORRIBLE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya that's what my buddy and I were saying. The trailor didn't really make sense and wasn't at all appealing, it took some witty one liners out of context making the viewer confused.

I, of course knew it'd be good because Whedon is just a genius plain and simple.

fluxrad
12-21-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see. This is what I don't get. Buffy the movie was an excellent comedic slap at everything high school faux cool. The whole movie took nothing seriously, not even itself. It was a brilliant piece of satire.

Then you get the show (of which my friends have only made me watch 100 goddamned episodes). It takes itself seriously and tries to develop these intricate, yet involving plotlines, and fails miserably at it. The characters are trite and play exactly as they are written - as if a 40 year old is trying to write something hip for his 18-something audience. It's as if Whedon is trying to channel Salinger, and instead gets Dr. Seuss. On top of that the sheer number of banal add-on zombies, demons, ghosts, ubergods, etc. was just mind boggling. It seems no one could come to terms with the fact that the movie was a flash in the pan - a single serving dish. That anyone continued to be interested with the mind-numbingly pedestrian dialogue and stream-of-consciousness style plot devices is beyond me.

The movie was scathing and witty.

The show was ordinary on its best days.

fluxrad
12-21-2005, 04:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How much of the tv series did you see?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to my girlfriend's taste in television, our DVD collection contains five seasons of Buffy and two seasons of Angel.

I'm guessing I've seen more Buffy episodes than most Buffy fans.

AngryCola
12-21-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The movie was scathing and witty

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

We will have to agree to disagree about the series and movie. But I do think you're crazy. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

EricW
12-21-2005, 04:31 AM
The problem with debating whether or not something is "good" is that it's so subjective. For example, take the rape scene in American History X when Edward Norton becomes a bitch in the showers of the jail. I would say that's powerful and disturbing. Yet on the other hand, someone could say that's it's comical and ridiculous. There's no way I can really refute what he is saying.

This applies to fluxrad's feelings on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the TV series. I argue that the character development was excellent (aside from the last 2 seasons anyways) and that the writing was extremely witty AND there were many parts of intelligent satire. But I can't really "prove" that my view is right.

I mean by no way is the "majority is always correct" right, but I think in this case, many critics and general TV watchers who have seen Buffy - TV version would disagree with fluxrad.

To each his own however.

ononimo
12-21-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see. This is what I don't get. Buffy the movie was an excellent comedic slap at everything high school faux cool. The whole movie took nothing seriously, not even itself. It was a brilliant piece of satire.

Then you get the show (of which my friends have only made me watch 100 goddamned episodes). It takes itself seriously and tries to develop these intricate, yet involving plotlines, and fails miserably at it. The characters are trite and play exactly as they are written - as if a 40 year old is trying to write something hip for his 18-something audience. It's as if Whedon is trying to channel Salinger, and instead gets Dr. Seuss. On top of that the sheer number of banal add-on zombies, demons, ghosts, ubergods, etc. was just mind boggling. It seems no one could come to terms with the fact that the movie was a flash in the pan - a single serving dish. That anyone continued to be interested with the mind-numbingly pedestrian dialogue and stream-of-consciousness style plot devices is beyond me.

The movie was scathing and witty.

The show was ordinary on its best days.

[/ QUOTE ]

with all due respect, you do have it COMPLETELY backwards. just the part about the "pedestrian dialogue" on the show couldn't be more wrong.

evil_twin
12-21-2005, 07:42 AM
I loved the film. Critically it did very well indeed, check out Rottentomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/serenity/). If you're not a fan of Whedons wit then it may well be just annoying though.

12-21-2005, 03:54 PM
firefly was a great show and serenity was alright. I watch tv seasons religiously and just finished watching firefly last night/this morning for like the 30th time.

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 03:56 PM
You watched the series and thought movie was just alright?

Wow. I'm watching it again tonight, I can't wait.

12-21-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You watched the series and thought movie was just alright?

Wow. I'm watching it again tonight, I can't wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

**SPOILER**
The movie was practicly about how Reavers came to be and how the alliance is yet again full of BS.

The show was a littlemore to home. it was about everyone on that ship and the whacky adventure they got themselves into.

in other words yes the tv series kept me hooked, while the movie was good failed to compare and if you are a firefly fan you understand how important the creation of that movie was for us all. after the network killed it no one thought it would see the light of day until the series sold worldwide so well. The book wasnt very good either btw.

samjjones
12-21-2005, 04:29 PM
http://www.omnifacets.com/wvb/images/kirk.jpg
"Firefly sucks."

Skipbidder
12-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I had never seen the TV show. I got dragged to it by a bunch of people who REALLY liked the TV show. The theater was filled with people who obviously very much liked the TV show. I didn't like the bits of Buffy that I happened to watch by accident along the way. I was fully prepared to be disappointed and grumpy about having my time wasted.

The whole premise also bugged me a little bit. At its core, its a show glamorizing the James Gang, which doesn't sound like a good start to me.

That being said, I really liked the movie. I liked it enough to get a hold of the DVD of the show and watch it all in a fairly short time period.

I'll probably watch the movie again, since I know I missed out on some of the things that the real geeks were getting.

bocablkr
12-21-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to my girlfriend's taste in television, our DVD collection contains five seasons of Buffy and two seasons of Angel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not more than me - 7 seasons of Buffy and 5 of Angel. My kids watch it constantly. Every morning on TV for the last 3 years.

ArchAngel71857
12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I never tuned into the show when it was on. I only saw the movie because my friends and I were bored one night and had to decide between seeing Serenity and Flightplan. Thank God Serenity won the coinflip. We all thought the movie was excellent. It may have helped that we walked in with no expectations.

Soon after I Netflixed the tv series. I thought it was hilarious and wish there was more. Hope to see the movie on DVD soon, and I have heard through the grapevine about plans for a sequel.

Sadly, Firefly is another gem of a show that Fox doesn't give a flying [censored] of a chance to *coughcoughArrestedDevelopmentcoughcough*

-AA

12-21-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
firefly was a great show and serenity was alright. I watch tv seasons religiously and just finished watching firefly last night/this morning for like the 30th time.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to be clear, the post to which you replied was comparing Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - the show VS. Buffy: TVS - the movie, NOT Firefly vs. Serenity.

Chaostracize
12-21-2005, 06:30 PM
For me personally, I knew the movie would be nothing like the show. There was such great character development and they could do more because you would be back next week to learn about the characters; it's much harder to do that in a 2 hour movie with that size ensemble.

It was more of the little things; ie River not just being annoying, great and entertaining "villain", and obviously some improved animation, which doesn't really matter, but it was nice to see.

astroglide
12-22-2005, 04:38 AM
ok i watched it tonight.

novel score, they really mixed it up and it wasn't standard sci-fi
lighter elements worked and were well-paced
solid effects and fight scenes

the dialogue, however, was ridiculous.

"i neer felt anything twixt my nethers in 2 years"

"that's the best gorramn wave in the verse"

the first is easy to understand when you read it. the second is too, in context (gorramn is the 'new goddamn', wave means a broadcast, verse is the universe). generally the dialogue was ultra fast and hard to understand. subtitles right? right. but the subtitles on the dvd move around with the characters. it's supposed to help, but when you've got text on the bottom right of the screen and then it jumps to the top left it's difficult to track and generally takes away from the visualization of the movie (which is good and disappointing to miss).

now all of the dialogue doesn't need to be deeply understood, and the movie could be watched without any of that. some people will probably say it was fine too. it wasn't fine, and there are a million points in the movie where if subtitles weren't on i could ask you what was just said and you would not be able to repeat any of it.

i thought it was good, not great. i do look forward to watching it a second time since i soaked up all of the dialogue via annoying subtitles.

Chaostracize
12-22-2005, 05:05 AM
I would say, before watching the movie again, try and check out the series. It will turn the movie into a completely different experience, and you'll be more acquainted with dialogue (even though some of it was really dumb... like the vibrator quote, I'm not even gonna bother looking it up).

The quality of the one liners and monologues in this movie far exceeded the quality of character dialogue.

BobboFitos
12-22-2005, 05:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i /images/graemlins/heart.gif buffy