PDA

View Full Version : My trip to the "upscale" barber

plaster8
12-21-2005, 03:02 AM
A new barbershop, Weldon Barber, just opened about 15 minutes from my house. (It's in Issaquah, for you Seattle-area folks.) Their pitch is that this is a barbershop that really caters to men -- they've got a small flatscreen tuned to ESPN in the waiting room along with nice chairs and men's mags (Golf, GQ, Maxim, etc.). They also have nice leather barber chairs and walled-off stations so the whole world doesn't watch while you get your hair cut.

Even though I've never spent more than $15 on a haircut in my life, I decided to check it out. Since I'm such a cheap bastard in this regard, I figured I'd point out everything I got for my money and ask the good folks of OOT if I got a decent deal.

The services:
Shampoo and conditioner
Hot towels on face and neck during shampoo
Eyebrow hairs (a few strays in the middle) plucked
Shoulder massage
Haircut (obviously)
Straight-razor neck shave
Goatee trim
Hair rinse/style after cut

My cost before tip was $38 (I tipped $8). The woman cutting my hair was pleasant and we had a good conversation. I'm satisfied with the cut and goatee trim, but still a little unsure about spending triple what I would normally spend.

So what do you spend to get your hair cut? And did I get a reasonable deal for the services received?

Oh yeah: I was offered a soda or water while I waited, which was a nice touch.

highlife
12-21-2005, 03:04 AM
thats cheap compared to what you pay for less than that in vegas

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2005, 03:24 AM
I usually pay around $15 for a haircut that has almost none of that with it. Seems like a good deal. In particular, I like the hot towel, eyebrow thingy, and the massage. Seems sort metro though.

dblgutshot
12-21-2005, 03:28 AM
I pay 15 for my regular haircut at a Chinese place. This is important since I understand most 'regular' places don't shampoo/wash your hair? This is one of the great pleasures in life.

To OP, one of those places opened up in my area a couple years ago. I've always meant to go but never got around to it. They have wireless internet and laptops you can borrow also I believe. I think the success of such a place depends on how hot the girls are.

plaster8
12-21-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I usually pay around $15 for a haircut that has almost none of that with it. Seems like a good deal. In particular, I like the hot towel, eyebrow thingy, and the massage. Seems sort metro though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was very metro, there's no denying that.

eviljeff
12-21-2005, 03:35 AM
I've been cutting my own hair for about 5 years now

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well, in that case, if there was something like this near me, I might go there once every few months or so. Sounds kind of relaxing. I really don't care how gay that sounds. Anyways, I couldn't possibly see myself paying more than $20 for a freakin haircut.

12-21-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Their pitch is that this is a barbershop that really caters to men -- they've got a small flatscreen tuned to ESPN in the waiting room along with nice chairs and men's mags (Golf, GQ, Maxim, etc.). They also have nice leather barber chairs and walled-off stations so the whole world doesn't watch while you get your hair cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a place exactly like that in Portland, called the Barbers. Costs 13.99 for a haircut and pretty much only cuts mens hair. Good hair cuts and hot women, and they offer all the same amenieties as listed above. Probably not as nice as your shop though but they Git-R-Done, and a lot of times they will show poker while cutting your hair on the 60 inch big screen.

jdl22
12-21-2005, 05:13 AM
I pay $00.00
http://www.salonlines.co.uk/images/product/main/1070803669.jpg

chisness
12-21-2005, 05:49 AM
i've been going to the same place for many years now just because it's where my mom always took me, but this past weekend i also tried a slightly nicer/closer place that was about $10 more. the people seemed a bit less friendly, but it was definitely a lot nicer and i think they did a bit better of a cut.

i also stupidly gave a $3 tip on a $28 haircut. how bad should i feel about this? btw, the girl was decent but kinda seemed in a rush and wasn't the most friendly. it probably shoulda been at least $4 though?

plaster8
12-21-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i've been going to the same place for many years now just because it's where my mom always took me, but this past weekend i also tried a slightly nicer/closer place that was about $10 more. the people seemed a bit less friendly, but it was definitely a lot nicer and i think they did a bit better of a cut.

i also stupidly gave a $3 tip on a $28 haircut. how bad should i feel about this? btw, the girl was decent but kinda seemed in a rush and wasn't the most friendly. it probably shoulda been at least $4 though?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I like the cut and the stylist wasn't a jerk or anything, I give at least 20 percent.

nolanfan34
12-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Hmm, I was thinking about checking this place out. They have a haircut only price, don't they? I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little more for a predictable good haircut. Nothing scarier to me than the gamble you take after moving and just walk into some random Great Clips or something.

SossMan
12-21-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I pay $00.00

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.mhrw.com/Resourses/flowbee3.gif I prefer this one.

Gunny Highway
12-21-2005, 01:01 PM
$38 seems kinda nuts for a haircut unless you get a happy ending with it.

Homer
12-21-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are scum. I used to be a bartender, so I know more about tipping than you. You should always tip a stylist at least 50% and more if they actually do a good job and don't rush. Anyone who tips less than this is a prick and deserves to die. Again, don't question this because I used to work in the service industry and know my [censored].

edtost
12-21-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are scum. I used to be a bartender, so I know more about tipping than you. You should always tip a stylist at least 50% and more if they actually do a good job and don't rush. Anyone who tips less than this is a prick and deserves to die. Again, don't question this because I used to work in the service industry and know my [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

chisness
12-21-2005, 01:27 PM
???

i was used to always tipping $3 cause my other one was $17, i just wasn't thinking. i think in future $5 would be fair for a $28 cut though?

ThaSaltCracka
12-21-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their pitch is that this is a barbershop that really caters to men -- they've got a small flatscreen tuned to ESPN in the waiting room along with nice chairs and men's mags (Golf, GQ, Maxim, etc.). They also have nice leather barber chairs and walled-off stations so the whole world doesn't watch while you get your hair cut.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a place exactly like that in Portland, called the Barbers. Costs 13.99 for a haircut and pretty much only cuts mens hair. Good hair cuts and hot women, and they offer all the same amenieties as listed above. Probably not as nice as your shop though but they Git-R-Done, and a lot of times they will show poker while cutting your hair on the 60 inch big screen.

[/ QUOTE ]where is this place?

12-21-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't know of anyone in ABQ that does straight-razor shaves, but I've always wanted to have one. Lucky!

ScottieK

gmrankin
12-21-2005, 02:11 PM
[/ QUOTE ]You are scum. I used to be a bartender, so I know more about tipping than you. You should always tip a stylist at least 50% and more if they actually do a good job and don't rush. Anyone who tips less than this is a prick and deserves to die. Again, don't question this because I used to work in the service industry and know my [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

50%?? I have nevered tiped more than $2.00 for a haircut... i don't care if it was a $6.00 one or a $30.00 one. they are cutting my hair, where is the service that qualifies them for a 50% tip? So my $13.00 haircut deserves a $6.50 tip?? No thanks. $2 - take with a smile or don't. its up to you. Your a bartender? you think i tip them 50%? no... usually either 1$ per drink or the change, depending on how drunk i am. I hate service workers that feel i owe them anything.

from www.tipping.org (http://www.tipping.org)
"Barbershop hair cutter 15% of the cost, generally a minimum of $1. If you do not get your hair cut often, then $5 is suggested owner none person who shampoos or washes hair $1 to $2"

So for my 13.00 hair cut i am right on with $2.00 so [censored] you! and get me anouther drink bitch!

Slow Play Ray
12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I pay $00.00

[/ QUOTE ]

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=scissors/v=2/SID=w/l=IVS/SIG=12dblsel8/EXP=1135275244/*-http%3A//www.alibaba.com/photo/50041708/Barber_Scissors.jpg

Shajen
12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.savvycenter.com/explorer/roadside/bigfishpole2small.jpg

astroglide
12-21-2005, 02:21 PM
i shave my head with a remington that has a vacuum built into it. it rules.

Voltron87
12-21-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, nice one

TJSWAN
12-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Sounds like a good deal to me. I've been going to the same lady for 10 years now, she does a great job and at my suggestion when she opened her own place a few years ago she put in a micro fridge. So i get my haircut/shampoo while having a nice cold beer after work. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Best $25 I spend every 4 weeks.

Oh and she's got a nice body ( rack ) too!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tim

IndieMatty
12-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Amazing how people think $20 is a lot for a haircut. Think about all that go's in to running a business (rent/utilities/insurance/overhead) and how many people the barbers see per hour and you'll realize that $20 is a ridiculously fair amount for someone to be spending 20-30 minutes on anything.

12-21-2005, 02:57 PM
If you would have had all that done at a salon, it would have cost $85+, but since you went to a place that is catered towards men only, and men are cheap bastards and don't care about their hair like women do, they charged a reasonable amount.

Maulik
12-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Urban Style Lab (http://www.lab-dc.com/) Washingotn D.C.

Just a suggestion if anyone's looking.

plaster8
12-21-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I was thinking about checking this place out. They have a haircut only price, don't they? I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little more for a predictable good haircut. Nothing scarier to me than the gamble you take after moving and just walk into some random Great Clips or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if they have a haircut-only price, but I'm pretty sure they have a less-expensive level than what I got. It's worth checking out at least once, IMO.

fuego527
12-21-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well, in that case, if there was something like this near me, I might go there once every few months or so. Sounds kind of relaxing. I really don't care how gay that sounds. Anyways, I couldn't possibly see myself paying more than $20 for a freakin haircut.

[/ QUOTE ]

you have serious issues...

Yobz
12-21-2005, 05:40 PM
I usually get my hair cut at Leonard Golino (http://www.leonardgolinosalon.com/) in the city. Usually $80 or so, although I get wine instead of soda...
I'm actually trying something more local tomorrow, $35...from a place called 'panico', I'll give you a trip report if you want

wayabvpar
12-21-2005, 05:49 PM
After having my hair repeatedly [censored] up by cheap places (and I mean REALLY [censored] up- [censored] YOU, SUPERCUTS), I started going to Gene Juarez- cost about $50 after tip. I actually became pretty good friends with the guy who cut my hair (he was one of the only straight guys in the whole joint), and we had a ball looking at all the primo tail running around (the scenery is off the charts in Gene Juarez a good 90% of the time).

The funny thing is I used to pay $50 every 6 weeks back when I was making a lot less money. These days I could easily afford it, but don't pay anything at all- I shave my head instead. However, if I ever grow my hair back out, I wouldn't hesitate to pony up the cash for a good cut.

Gunny Highway
12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you'll realize that $20 is a ridiculously fair amount for someone to be spending 20-30 minutes on anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

What barber takes 30 minutes on a haircut? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Reqtech
12-21-2005, 05:55 PM
That sounds like a nice place and a good deal to me. Wish I had something similar here in the Reston area in VA.

12-21-2005, 09:17 PM
http://www.friendsofhistoricnorthport.org/tour/images/15_15.jpg
Northport Barber Shop. Haircut $11, includes straight-razor neck shave, and eyebrow (and ear-hair for the older crowd) trim. 4 chairs, usually no waiting except Saturday morning. And there is always at least one farmer wearing overalls, and someone who brings their kid in for a flat-top.

Ulysses
12-22-2005, 12:25 AM
plaster,

$50+10. Yes, if the haircut was good.

gumpzilla
12-22-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I pay 15 for my regular haircut at a Chinese place. This is important since I understand most 'regular' places don't shampoo/wash your hair? This is one of the great pleasures in life.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never had this done until recently, and it's [censored] awesome. I just had a haircut today and was reflecting on how great it is. Then again, I think I have a particularly sensitive scalp, as women scratching my head in just about any context is enough to make me feel incredibly good and relaxed, so I'm glad to see there are others out there who appreciate this as I do.

chisness
12-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Do people find that the "upscale" salon places actually provide better cuts or are we just paying for a nicer location?