PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Movie Ever?

RustedCorpse
12-21-2005, 02:53 AM
Curious what makes the top of the list.

I vote (in no order):

Ring U

Poltergeist (I saw it when I was 6 and honestly had blocked it from my memory but had nightmares about it)

The Grudge (watched it for the first time last night, so this could just be the newness factor)

TheBlueMonster
12-21-2005, 04:03 AM
The Exorcist.
It was scary back then and scary now.
Anecdote: Senior year of HS 'The Exorcist' was released in theaters with added material (bonus question: what eyar did I graduate?). I went with some friends to a midnight showing of it and after it was over we hung around in a 7-11 because no one wanted to drive home alone. For the next 2 weeks whenever I closed my eyes I saw Linda Blair going down the stairs upside down with blood pouring out of her mouth.

I'd also vote for "Alien". Best atmospheric horror. Ever.

My final vote would go for "Glitter." You know the Mariah Carey one? *shudder*

12-21-2005, 04:15 AM
Dude, Poltergeist? Not scary at all. Jesus, how is that scary? I mean, as a 6-year old, I suppose, but you're not scared of it now right?

diebitter
12-21-2005, 04:23 AM
exorcist
texas chainsaw massacre
blair witch project

lastsamurai
12-21-2005, 04:25 AM
Serpent and the rainbow...

Also when i was a little kid charlie and the chocolate factory scared the HELL out of me when that lil boy fell into the chocolate river.

fluxrad
12-21-2005, 04:30 AM
I'm going to go with Ringu.

ripdog
12-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Fatal Attraction scared the crap out of me.

Duke
12-21-2005, 04:36 AM
The Changeling. I had nightmares for about 5 years after seeing it. It's my favorite George C Scott movie.

I see some people mentioned The Exorcist, but aside from the crab-walk down the stairs I didn't even jump, and didn't find that one scary on a deep emotional level.

Se7en scarred my psyche, so that might be another good one.

Hellraiser scared the raising hell out of me while I was watching it, but I can't even remember why it was scary.

~D

EricW
12-21-2005, 04:41 AM
The problem is with "scary movies" is that once you grow up a bit and if your thought process is based on science (ie you don't believe in the supernatural) it's really hard to be scared over a movie.

Although I would have to agree with Duke about Seven. That movie was extremely mentally disturbing and I watched it at home (not as good as it would have been if I saw it in theatres).

I don't know, I remember watching the Sixth Sense when I was in my early teens and from what I could remember from the experience, I thought that was pretty damn scary.

The Ring (the first one) I saw in theatres and I thought that had some scary scenes.

fluxrad
12-21-2005, 05:15 AM
Re: "Se7en"

Could someone elighten me as to why people use the opening credits to title the movie rather than the jacket? I don't get why people refer to this movie as Se7en. I'm looking at my VHS jacket box art from back in the day and the title says Seven. Moreover, the fine-print credits also say "SEVEN."

Is there precedent here?

ackid
12-21-2005, 05:19 AM
The original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre".

siccjay
12-21-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, Poltergeist? Not scary at all. Jesus, how is that scary? I mean, as a 6-year old, I suppose, but you're not scared of it now right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Poltergeist is pretty scary. A tree tried to eat someone! A F'ING TREE!!

The Grudge is not that scary.

ChipWrecked
12-21-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/aksooted/FatalAttraction-Disarmingencounter2.jpg

bluef0x
12-21-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Re: "Se7en"

Could someone elighten me as to why people use the opening credits to title the movie rather than the jacket? I don't get why people refer to this movie as Se7en. I'm looking at my VHS jacket box art from back in the day and the title says Seven. Moreover, the fine-print credits also say "SEVEN."

Is there precedent here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Se7en (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114369/)

bluef0x
12-21-2005, 06:04 AM
Birds and Birds 2.

Man, as a kid I would sneak out late at night to watch that on the big screen... I would have to dig my face in the couch during commercials 'cuz I was so freaked.

SNOWBALL138
12-21-2005, 06:25 AM
I think Rosemary's baby is a serious consideration.

12-21-2005, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Birds and Birds 2.

Man, as a kid I would sneak out late at night to watch that on the big screen... I would have to dig my face in the couch during commercials 'cuz I was so freaked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol theses movies weren't even remotley scary. Maybe for the 60s or 70s I guess.

12-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Jaws.

The scene where Richard Dreyfuss gets into the water at night to inspect a drifting boat, finds a hole in the hull under the water line, and a head pops out.

The entire theater leaped into the air and ten minutes later, when I tried to take a drink of my soda, realized I was all wet and the soda cup was squished in my hand.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Poltergeist is pretty scary. A tree tried to eat someone! A F'ING TREE!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what age you are when you see it maybe. It had a couple good scenes, but overall I was groaning or laughing more than anything.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 07:28 AM
The Exorcist, Alien, House of Dark Shadows. Jacob's Ladder had some real scary parts and was a pretty scary experience throughout. Someone mentioned Rosemary's Baby -- that's pretty damn good too. The original Evil Dead was very scary.

Eurotrash
12-21-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hellraiser scared the raising hell out of me while I was watching it, but I can't even remember why it was scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

these movies always wigged me out because of the way the pinface guy in [censored]'s avatar (the "hellraiser," if you will) shot multiple CHAINS with hooks on them at his victims. this usually resulted in the people being impaled/ripped apart/strung up to die in some painful and creative way

i'm pretty sure that's why i found them kind of scary.

I second the Aliens movies, those things are scary. another one that I remember being scary was Event Horizon (though for some reason i expect many to disagree.)

Blarg
12-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Also Diary of a Madman.

Martin
12-21-2005, 07:56 AM
I remember that. A chick two seats down from me shrieked, then got up and ran out of the theatre, leaving the guy she was with sitting there somewhat perplexed. He got up and left shortly afterward. I always wondered if the movie freaked her out or if he tried to make a move /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sykes
12-21-2005, 07:59 AM
Event Horizon

[censored] that movie.

12-21-2005, 08:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The original Japanese version is scarier.

12-21-2005, 08:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Event Horizon

[censored] that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell is just a word. Let me show you...

(I accidentally watched some of that movie thinking it was just straightforward sci fi and having a love for Sam Neill. Big mistake.)

4_2_it
12-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street to name a few. Of course seeing these in a theatre instead of your living room raises the scare factor......

Nicholasp27
12-21-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Birds and Birds 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm confused
u snuck OUT to watch on the big screen (i assume a movie theater back then), but there were COMMERCIALS and u had a COUCH to stick your face into?

what movie theater had commercials and couches when u were a kid?

WDC
12-21-2005, 10:29 AM
I have never watched another horror movie since I saw Phantasm when I was 12.Phantasm is one scarry and creepy movie that gave me nightmares for several months.

4_2_it
12-21-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never watched another horror movie since I saw Phantasm when I was 12.Phantasm is one scarry and creepy movie that gave me nightmares for several months.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's even scarier if you have a relative who resembles the Tall Man.

samjjones
12-21-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude.... the clown dragged a kid under the bed!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/ryanmediocre/Poltergeist2.jpg

stigmata
12-21-2005, 10:50 AM
The Shining, just for the hacked up dead twins saying "for ever, and ever, and ever". That [censored] still gives me nightmares.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 11:14 AM
The girls didn't scare me at all. But when Jack said it while nodding to his kid with that insane smile, it was supremely creepy.

bluef0x
12-21-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Birds and Birds 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm confused
u snuck OUT to watch on the big screen (i assume a movie theater back then), but there were COMMERCIALS and u had a COUCH to stick your face into?

what movie theater had commercials and couches when u were a kid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Screen TV.. in the living room. I'm 18 right now, I wasn't around when 'Birds' was released. Sorry I don't use your lingo.

Cry Me A River
12-21-2005, 03:56 PM
When I was a kid, Night Of The Lepus (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069005/) (IMDB link) scared the [censored] out of me!

So the fact that some movie scared you as a kid is pretty meaningless as far as how scary it really is.

TJSWAN
12-21-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jaws.

The scene where Richard Dreyfuss gets into the water at night to inspect a drifting boat, finds a hole in the hull under the water line, and a head pops out.

The entire theater leaped into the air and ten minutes later, when I tried to take a drink of my soda, realized I was all wet and the soda cup was squished in my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend I was with did the exact same thing at that scene.

Tim

eviljeff
12-21-2005, 04:39 PM
definitely going to catch flak for this, but...

Final Destination

Sykes
12-21-2005, 05:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
definitely going to catch flak for this, but...

Final Destination

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not really. If you hate gore, this is one movie you really shouldn't see.

TiK
12-21-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...ten minutes later, when I tried to take a drink of my soda, realized I was all wet and the soda cup was squished in my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought stuff like this only happened in movies (har har) and commercials (e.g. the car commercial where the guy leans on a car, hallucinates driving in it, having it be such an exhilarating experience that he ends up crushing the orange that he had been holding).

Anyway, when I was young (about 4 or 5), the scariest thing I ever watched was "The Wiz" with Michael Jackson and Diana Ross. That subway scene where all those things come to life, scared the living [censored] of me.

wdeadwyler
12-21-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Event Horizon

[censored] that movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

This woulda been my vote. This movie is badass and very scary

jba
12-21-2005, 06:24 PM
silence of the lambs was pretty damn scary.

Sponger15SB
12-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Signs

diebitter
12-21-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
silence of the lambs was pretty damn scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, with all the hohah about Lector, it's easy to forget what a great thriller this was.

wayabvpar
12-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Silence of the Lambs
Fatal Attraction
Prince of Darkness (very creepy for some reason)
Serpent and the Rainbow
Amityville Horror (the original)

I don't watch a lot of horror movies, so my list is a bit different I would guess.

CCass
12-21-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Prince of Darkness

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this.

MonkeeMan
12-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I'll go old school with Psycho. After that I'd pick The Exorcist and Halloween. I liked Scream alot too.

siccjay
12-21-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
another one that I remember being scary was Event Horizon (though for some reason i expect many to disagree.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This movie is awesome. No one should disagree.

siccjay
12-21-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude.... the clown dragged a kid under the bed!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/ryanmediocre/Poltergeist2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored]!!!

You should have added "AN F'ING BED!" edit: or "AN F'ING CLOWN!"

RacersEdge
12-21-2005, 07:23 PM
The Birds?? I just watched that at Halloween. I've seen scarier stuff on the Nature Channel.

MarkSummers
12-21-2005, 07:29 PM
As far as thrillers go, what about Vertigo? Chilling...

diebitter
12-21-2005, 07:32 PM
Vertigo! The Birds! Scariest movies ever /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Some of you guys need to see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre. You'll soil your panties.

JDErickson
12-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Alien 2

12-21-2005, 07:52 PM
As an adult The Exorcist and Alien come to mind right away.

As a little kid, I was terrified of the flying monkeys in The Wizard of Oz.

Quad fours
12-21-2005, 08:04 PM
I think just for its plain evilness "Last House on the Left" needs to be considered.

12-21-2005, 08:21 PM
I can't remeber the name of it, some horrible B-movie with a guy's evil Siamese-twin growing out of his side, that killed and ate people. Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

diebitter
12-21-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't remeber the name of it, some horrible B-movie with a guy's evil Siamese-twin growing out of his side, that killed and ate people. Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds like an X-file where they're investigating deaths in a town full of carney freaks.

Actually the X-files episode 'home' where they're investigating a family of inbreds (and the mom is under the bed on a wheeled platform) is pretty damn creepy freaky. Season 4 I think.

yoadrians
12-21-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Winner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/aksooted/FatalAttraction-Disarmingencounter2.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

"I WILL NOT BE IGNORED, DAN!!!!"

Scariest line in the movie.

yoadrians
12-21-2005, 09:40 PM
A couple random thoughts:

- Event Horizon was TERRIFYING the first time I saw it. Second time, I wondered, 'What the hell was I so scared about?"

- One from childhood: 'Shocker'. Don't remember who was in it, but me and Carl 'The Streetcar' Streeter watched it at his house when we were 13. Just freakin' scary. Movie is pretty lame to me now, though.

- The first time I saw the movie 'Scream', I remember thinking that the first 15 minutes in which Drew Barrymore got all hacked up was some of the best slasher stuff I'd ever seen. Still enjoy the trilogy, but the first 15 of the orig. is the only scary stuff in the trilogy.

- In conclusion, I think the scariest movies are those that NEVER stop being scary, no matter how many times you see them. So, then, for me, it's as easy as 1-2-3 ...

1) The Exorcist
2) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (orig.)
3t) Alien, The Ring