PDA

View Full Version : Best year of the new millenium for music

xorbie
12-21-2005, 01:57 AM
With half the decade behind us, which is the best? '03 was the best imo, I'll elaborate later.

TheMainEvent
12-21-2005, 02:00 AM
Your choice is basically gauranteed to win because most people don't remember when music came out and won't have an opinion of their own.

xorbie
12-21-2005, 02:04 AM
nice. winning by default > bling bling > life.

CallMeIshmael
12-21-2005, 02:05 AM
2004. Funeral, blueberry boat and thunder lightning strike are 3 of my top 5 this decade.

Not far behind is 2002, with YHF, Source tags and codes and TOTBL all being amazing.

GuyOnTilt
12-21-2005, 02:18 AM
2004:

Arcade Fire : Funeral
The Go! Team : Thunder Lightning Strike
Kanye West : College Dropout
Brian Wilson : Smile
Madvillain : Madvillainy
The Fiery Furnaces : Blueberry Boat
Dizzee Rascal : Boy in Da Corner
Dizzee Rascal : Showtime
MIA/Diplo : Piracy Funds Terrorism, Vol. 1
Animal Collective : Sung Tongs
Elliott Smith : From a Basement on a Hill
Stars : Set Yourself On Fire
Talking Heads : The Name of this Band Is
Modest Mouse : Good News for People who Love Bad News
Iron & Wine : Our Endless Numbered Days
Antony and the Johnsons : I am a Bird Now (maybe 2005?)

...and a lot of other good stuff. 2005 is probably close behind for me.

GoT

shant
12-21-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
thunder lightning strike

[/ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I think I must've downloaded a bad quality or wrong version of this album. Either that or I don't get it.

I'll try re-downloading.

Sponger15SB
Seriously, who are these bands?

I don't even think my 20 closest friends could name any of these people besides talking heads/modest mouse.

Macdaddy Warsaw
I can't figure what TOTBL is...

However, Yoshimi came out in 2002, and it is awesome. I voted 2005, because it was the last one.

uw_madtown
12-21-2005, 02:23 AM
2002 easily. Just so many amazing albums from that year. 2005 is probably close behind. 2003/2004 are safely behind both. I don't even remember much from 2001.

uw_madtown
12-21-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't even think my 20 closest friends could name any of these people besides talking heads/modest mouse.

[/ QUOTE ]

[music elitist]
Your friends listen to shi[/i]tty music.
[/music elitist]

mason55
Can we get a list of best albums of the year? I'm too lazy to look it up and I copied all my ripped CDs to a new HD in January of 2004. I can only tell if something was 2004, 2005 or <2004.

yellowjack
[ QUOTE ]
Your choice is basically gauranteed to win because most people don't remember when music came out and won't have an opinion of their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Call me a nit, but the OP putting in his own opinion in the original post causes a lot of bias in the poll results. It happens way too often.

Nonetheless, Radiohead's Hail to the Thief came out in 2003, so I'm going with that.

GuyOnTilt
12-21-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was inconsistent with naming the band or album. Edited so you will recognize more.

GoT

Sponger15SB
12-21-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[music elitist]
[/music elitist]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that we sit around and listen to the latest Maroon 5 CD. Most of my friends like classic rock (or older rap), so obviously it would be hard to know who any of these bands are. Either way, are these bands actually well known or do only trendy music snobs listen to them?

xorbie
12-21-2005, 02:31 AM
wikipedia has solid lists of albums that came out in any given year (2003 here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_in_music)).

i went with 2003 for the following:
meadowlands (the wrens)
absolution (muse)
deloused in the comatorium (mars volta)
hail to the theif (radiohead)
castaways and cutouts (the decembrists)
two conversations (appleseed cast)
the earth is not a cold dead place (explosions in the sky)
think tank (blur)
you forgot it in people (broken social scene)

probably forgot some. 2004 was a close second for me.

mason55
12-21-2005, 02:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
do only trendy music snobs listen to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo, and I am one.

uw_madtown
12-21-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[music elitist]
[/music elitist]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that we sit around and listen to the latest Maroon 5 CD. Most of my friends like classic rock (or older rap), so obviously it would be hard to know who any of these bands are. Either way, are these bands actually well known or do only trendy music snobs listen to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I actually figured that was the case, because most people on here who ask "who the [censored] are these bands?" in OOT music threads just don't seem like the Top 40 crappy rock/pop types, you included. Nothing wrong with classic rock, rap, etc -- it's just that the best music being made right now when it comes to rock and pop are from indie bands.

It's hard to gauge how common it is for people to know these bands, because most of them are on (or started on) indie labels and thus don't get radio play other than on college stations. So you have to seek them out a little bit, and the main demographic seems to be college kids.

In my case, I'd say about 50% of my friends would recognize a lot of the bands listed here, maybe more. Whether or not they're trendy music snobs depends on what that means. For example, whenever one of these threads starts up, us trendy music snobs are quick to point out that our favorite all-time bands are still usually classic rock and pop -- Beatles, Dylan, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc etc.

If being a "trendy music snob" means that I think most of the best music being made right now isn't being played on MTV/Clear Channel, then yeah, I am. If it means that I feel superior because most people haven't heard of these bands and I have, then not really. In fact, I hate people who stop liking indie bands that get somewhat popular (see: Modest Mouse).

GuyOnTilt
12-21-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
are these bands actually well known or do only trendy music snobs listen to them?

[/ QUOTE ]
Eh, most of my friends would know 90% of that list so I don't think of any of them as obscure really. Which may make you think I'm a music snob, but it's a hard sell considering my roomie came home today to find me listening to Kelly Clarkson. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

Jack of Arcades
12-21-2005, 03:06 AM
All the music snobs love Kelly Clakrson.

2005 in a walk, btw.

Unoriginalname
12-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Hmm, I don't know the exact year when most albums came out except a few. I know Lateralus came out in 2001 and someone pointed out Hail to the Thief came out in 2003. So both years would work for me but I'm going to go with 2001.

xorbie
12-21-2005, 06:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2005 in a walk, btw.

[/ QUOTE ]

this may prove correct btw, but i will need more time to soak up some of these albums.