PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning 2001 FP

12-21-2005, 12:44 AM
I know I read some suggestions on what to use to clean the screen but searched and couldn't find anything. It's getting filthy. Damp cloth or what? Thanks in advance-

NoTalent
12-21-2005, 02:28 AM
Sure go with something like tha tfirst, if that doesn't work use windex and a paper towel?

Link774
12-21-2005, 09:52 AM
I think I read something saying you should avoid using ammonia based things on computer screens because it can tint the glare coating yellow after a period. Just use water, or water and a smal amount of vinegar.

BluffTHIS!
12-21-2005, 10:32 AM
A damp lint free cloth wetted with water only is what you need like the other poster said. Besides not using anything with ammonia you also should not use alcohol which means not using the monitor cleaning wipes available in office supply stores for CRTs.

smoore
12-21-2005, 03:24 PM
In the olden days of 1995, ammonia would either remove or yellow the anti-glare coating. Modern CRTs should not be affected by windex, HOWEVER:

The material a modern LCD is made from MAY be affected by ammonia or alcohol. Water is what I recommend. I use a t-shirt because of the soft, non-scratching material. I've not had to add vinegar to the mix in the three years of owning LCDs.

edit: I've never tried it but I theorize that window cleaner made for automotive tint might be completely safe. Anyone have an old LCD they want to let a puddle of the stuff sit on for a day or two?

12-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Thanks guys.