PDA

View Full Version : $22 AKs Play post flop

12-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Do you reraise pf here? Do you call the flop? Rest of hand is more straight forward.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG (t1570)
UTG+1 (t700)
MP1 (t1415)
MP2 (t1470)
<font color="#C00000">CO (t3570)</font>
Button (t1100)
SB (t1770)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1905)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls t30, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, UTG calls t30.

Flop: (t195) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90, UTG folds.

Turn: (t375) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t375) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t210</font>

bluefeet
12-21-2005, 12:44 AM
Reraising PF? Not too often at this level. Not when the original raiser had done so over a limper. Had he open-min'd from this late position, I'd be much more willing to reraise.

Flop? Eh, sure. You have what are probably 10 clean outs. Not quite the pot odds to get the turn card, but the implied odds compensate a bit.

IF you then act upon what is being implicated...

Turn: Time to get some chips in the pot. True, this is a card that very well might give us a c-raise situation, but it is also one that connects a blind's draw (you) a bit. The beauty here, is that he WILL call (at least) a value bet of 175-200ish with his weaker Ace. He might also with a mid-PP, FD, etc. If not, so be it - you pick up a very nice early level pot. But we have to charge him here to see the river.

12-21-2005, 12:57 AM
very interested in your comments on the turn. if he's willing to call a bet on the turn, doesn't that mean i'm usually beat there? i don't know... that was my thinking in waiting until the river. thoughts?

12-21-2005, 01:08 AM
Preflop: I don't see the point of your raise. You are not limiting the field at all. Either limp in, or raise it up enough to limit the field. If you do limp in, you should be looking for a flush draw more than an Ace or King.

bluefeet
12-21-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
if he's willing to call a bet on the turn, doesn't that mean i'm usually beat there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaaaaaaaaaabsolutely not.

Hands you are behind:

A3, A4, A5, 33, 44, 55, x2, AA

Hands you are ahead (or even w/) that will call this turn:

AK, AQ, AJ, AT, A9, A8, A7, A6
KQ/images/graemlins/spade.gif through K3/images/graemlins/spade.gif
66 through KK

How many hands minraise from each group? A ton more in the latter.

And let us not forget: WE DON'T MIND IF HE DOESN'T CALL

Now rewind to the river card being turned over.
How many cards are out there that can improve hands from the second group?

...waaaaay too many for you to not lead the turn here.

And to be quite honest with you (assuming your concern might be this -&gt;), there
is a small enough chance that he DOESN'T have a hand from the first group, where
I don't mind getting all the chips in on the turn if he pushes over your lead.

Melchiades
12-21-2005, 01:10 AM
I like the check on the turn. If villain has a pocket pair, and I have seen plenty of donks minraising mid pocket pairs like he did preflop, he is afraid of that ace. Checking here might convince him to call with 88-TT on the river, thinking you are taking a stab after his turn check.

If your riverbet is raised, puke.

12-21-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How many cards are out there that can improve hands from the second group?

...waaaaay too many for you to not lead the turn here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that's probably the part of the hand that i didn't fully consider enough.

not to delve into FPS here, but comparing the number of cards that would aid villains hand versus being a blank... does checking increase the liklihood of extracting the most possible value of the hand? i have no idea the answer to this or how even to figure that out, but something like that may have been going through my head when i checked the turn.

bluefeet
12-21-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does checking increase the liklihood of extracting the most possible value of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

When all goes well? Certainly.

You will get more calls from the 88-TT's.
You get less value not charging an unimproved Ace twice.
You will get less river calls from any missed draw hand.

Balanced? Maybe. Still so when we DO give the river, lead, get pushed over and -- fold, or lose to a now better hand? Or don't get pushed over and lose to a hand that passed us on this river card. Maybe not. That is what I'm proposing. Willing to be convinced otherwise /images/graemlins/wink.gif