PDA

View Full Version : Filet-o-Fish

adamstewart
12-20-2005, 10:57 PM
So today I'm late coming home. I decide to stop by McDonald's for a quick, easy meal.

I'm going through the drive-thru, about to order my usual 'Big Mac Combo' when I notice a "Filet-o-Fish" advertisement.

Hmmmm, I think back to my early childhood. For some reason I have this memory of trying the fish burger and actually liking it: I think it was the tartar sauce or something.

So ... on an impulse, I order the usual Combo #1 - with a Filet-o-Fish burger on the side.

I get home and try it.

You know what ... it's damn good!! ... something about the tartar sauce, I think.

Adam

Woolygimp
12-20-2005, 11:03 PM
Nothing from mcdonalds is good. It's people like you, without any general sense of taste that buy into mcdonalds and it's empyrical travesty.
Being from Louisiana, a filet-o-fish from mcdonalds is like a ginger bread house made from dogshit.

jeffraider
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Ryan The Temp: "How many filet-of-fish did you eat!??!"

Michael Scott: "That's over several months, Ryan!"

Bigdaddydvo
12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
This is a staple of mine during Lent on Fridays.

kipin
12-20-2005, 11:15 PM
filet-o-fish is the worst item (nutritional content) McDonald's offers.

wiggs73
12-20-2005, 11:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close (http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.index1.html), not that they're 'healthy' or anything.

To the OP, you've inspired me... I'm going to eat a filet-o-fish later this week and maybe post a trip report about it.

FlopComesBricks
12-20-2005, 11:25 PM
I sometimes get the Filet on the side when I'm in the mood for a change.

However they used to be much bigger and for some reason they're really small now.

Its the combination of cheese and tartar sauce that makes them tasty because the "fish" looks like diced onion and has little to no discernable taste.

dblgutshot
12-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Every fast food thread, I try to tell people this.

The only things I can eat at mcdonalds are the McMuffins and Filet O Fish. I try to eat healthy but every now and then have to satisfy my craving for Filet o fish.

BottlesOf
12-20-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm a BIG fan of the combo meal with a filet o fish sandwich on the side.

For health reasons, I limit myself to one McDonalds/BK/similar FF establishment trip a month.

wdeadwyler
12-20-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close (http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.index1.html), not that they're 'healthy' or anything.

To the OP, you've inspired me... I'm going to eat a filet-o-fish later this week and maybe post a trip report about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't

ChipWrecked
12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
One big selling point of Filet-O-Fish used to be that the buns were steamed. They quit the steaming; sales crashed and there were many complaints. Steaming was brought back.

Haven't had one in a long time, so I don't know if they still do it.

BTW, I worked in a McD's kitchen years back when they still put food in the bins. Official time to let food sit was ten minutes. Unofficial time to let a Filet sit was until you could see the top of the styrofoam box start to swell. Just FYI. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

stanky
12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
I can't do it. I refuse to eat fish product from a fast food place. I'm not a snob or anything, I just can't imagine
it being good.

I guess it's also weird that I've never had a Big Mac. I eat a Mc D's like once a week and either go with a quarter pounder or chicken sandwich, sometimes both.

BottlesOf
12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Do you not like fried fish? All I can say is try it. If you don't like it, throw it out. If you really think you'll boot at the sight/taste/smell, then don't bother.

Drew16
12-20-2005, 11:49 PM
"that has less calories cuz its fish"

eviljeff
12-21-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"that has less calories cuz its fish"

[/ QUOTE ]

I caught the reference /images/graemlins/wink.gif

stanky
12-21-2005, 12:21 AM
I like fried fish, I guess when I think about going to Mc D's I have greasy burger on my mind. I'll get one on the side with my quarter pounder meal next time, that way it won't ruin my meal. Report to come.

YourFoxyGrandma
12-21-2005, 12:28 AM
I've never had the filet of fish. I'm not huge on fish to begin with, though. I used to be a big mac guy, but recently I haven't been able to get away from that $1 double chee.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 12:29 AM
One reason I used to get these is because they usually would have to be made fresh and not sit in the bin. I rarely got anything but a hot one.

If you see one sitting around, definitely ask for some change, like no tartar, or extra, or something. Force them to make you a fresh one.

stanky
12-21-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Force them to make you a fresh one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are any of them really fresh? That's my main concern.

buffett
12-21-2005, 01:01 AM
I never used to eat these, because they looked and sounded so nasty. But then I lived in Europe for a while in the 90s and over there they call them Fish Macs. And for some reason, that made them sound appealing. I tried them, I got hooked on them, and now I eat them almost as often as Michael Scott does (though I don't use blue Powerade as a chaser). Now I just wish I could get a Fruits of the Forest Fried Pie over here in the States.....

12-21-2005, 01:02 AM
why do people insist on knowing what type of meat they are eating, ex. beef, pork, venison, etc., but will eat any type of fish, as in a fish sandwich. Why can they sell a fish sandwich but not a meat sandwich?

tpir90036
12-21-2005, 01:43 AM
v.v.good indeed.

Six_of_One
12-21-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why do people insist on knowing what type of meat they are eating, ex. beef, pork, venison, etc., but will eat any type of fish, as in a fish sandwich. Why can they sell a fish sandwich but not a meat sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, I'd buy a meat sandwich. Mmm, meat.

Blarg
12-21-2005, 01:56 AM
Are you that anxious to feed someone your ferd?

Gamblor
12-21-2005, 01:57 AM
Filet-O-Fish is the only McDonald's item I've ever eaten, and I can't imagine anything better.

NA_kicker
12-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Last year in Philly, they ran a promotion for the double filet of fish.

The ad was "Go ahead, try and stuff me" and showed some white guy really frickin enjoying his double filet of fish.

12-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I hate mcdonalds etc. I think the fillet-o-fish is in theory, disgusting, also.

Get one of the 20c chilli sauce things they have from nuggets though, whack it in the middle. Worth trying...

adamstewart
12-21-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get one of the 20c chilli sauce things they have from nuggets though, whack it in the middle. Worth trying...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish.

Adam

Fishwhenican
12-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Worked for McDonalds MANY years ago. I used to eat a Filet every now and then and liked them, fresh, hot, steamed bun, catsup and a full slice of cheese!

We used to call them:
CARPETTES!

Popinjay
12-21-2005, 10:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Worked for McDonalds MANY years ago. I used to eat a Filet every now and then and liked them, fresh, hot, steamed bun, catsup and a full slice of cheese!

We used to call them:
CARPETTES!

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is a carpette?

Turkish
12-21-2005, 10:50 PM
Had two just this afternoon...Outstanding..

12-22-2005, 03:34 AM
the fact that it is a carpette proves my theory that as long as it a fillet-o-fish people will eat it but if it is a fillet-o-carp people will not.

AlphaWice
12-22-2005, 03:51 AM
get "mcchicken sauce" (its basically mayo), wack it in the middle.

jeffraider
12-22-2005, 03:57 AM
So I ate a filet-of-fish tonight and it was AWESOME.

Vavavoom
12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I have never had a filet-o-fish....and don't ever intend to....

hizo1
12-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Filet-o-Fish rock. There's a reason why they're still around.

They're my go to meatl on fridays (4 bucks for the combo)

samjjones
12-22-2005, 03:22 PM
I do not think I would eat a Filet-O-Fish for anything less than $100.

ChipWrecked
12-22-2005, 03:23 PM
Considering OOT's love of fast food I'm really surprised at all the hatin'.

samjjones
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, don't get me wrong...I will eat virtually everything else on McDonald's menu. Just not the Filet-O-Fish.

IndieMatty
12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, don't get me wrong...I will eat virtually everything else on McDonald's menu. Just not the Filet-O-Fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

codewarrior
12-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Because everyone in the world knows that "fish" means Cod. Fillet-o-fish, fish sticks, you name it.

bobbyi
12-22-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why can they sell a fish sandwich but not a meat sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gwar agrees.

BottlesOf
12-22-2005, 04:56 PM
People's refusal to try the file o fish pisses me off. Unless you have an aversion to all things seafood, just [censored] try it. Especailly those people who will eat at McDonalds, b/c that's not gross, but having the filet o fish from there, that would be gross. Just sack up stfu and try it. Or don't, but don't hate on the FoF.

12-22-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I do not think I would eat a Filet-O-Fish for anything less than $0.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially if someone else is buying.

12-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Yes, it's the tartar sauce. Usually they have so much sauce, you can squeeze some out, and dip your fries in it. Try it, it's good.

12-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I had the filet o fish sandwich at BK yesterday and it was horrible. I will try the McD version tonight.

LLL

tonypaladino
12-22-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's cod you shittard.

tonypaladino
12-22-2005, 07:01 PM
Will they put mayo instead of tarter sauce if I asked? I always kinda wanted to try it, because I love fried fish sandwiches, but tartar sauce grosses me out.

Unoriginalname
12-23-2005, 03:27 AM
Yes, you can substitute mayo for the tarter. You can get it anyway you want. Hell, they'd put big mac sauce on it if you wanted them to.

dblgutshot
12-23-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it's the tartar sauce. Usually they have so much sauce, you can squeeze some out, and dip your fries in it. Try it, it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

just ask for some extra sauce too for the fries. tartar is awesome

12-23-2005, 12:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you can substitute mayo for the tarter. You can get it anyway you want. Hell, they'd put big mac sauce on it if you wanted them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Mac sauce eh? Intriguing.

mostsmooth
12-23-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Filet-O-Fish is the only McDonald's item I've ever eaten, and I can't imagine anything better.

[/ QUOTE ]
i call BS on this

mostsmooth
12-23-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
um, mcdonalds doesnt tell you what kind of meat they are using, so in essence, they are selling a "meat sandwhich". btw, im pretty sure its kangaroo meat.

12-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Friday December 17, 2004 Previous | Next

Dear Yahoo!:
Is the fish sandwich at McDonald's made of real fish?
Fishing for Answers

Dear Fishing:
McDonald's appears to be the subject of more mythology than the Greek god Apollo. Remember the rumor about the complete lack of milk in the shakes? Not true. Yet your question remains: is there something fishy about the fish?
An ingredient list at McDonald's specifies the following for their "Filet-O-Fish": fish filet patty, bun, tartar sauce, pasteurized processed American cheese, and seasoning. Still, any product with such a poor spelling of "fillet of fish" bears further scrutiny.

So we waddled over to DietRiot.com, where we found the F-O-F contains pollock or hoki, both of which, though not exactly seafood superstars, do qualify as actual fish.

Maybe the real question ought to be: what else does the Filet-O-Fish contain besides the fish? The caloric ratio of the sandwich is 46% fat, 39% carbs, and just 15% protein. Take another look at DietRiot, and you'll notice, in addition to the "foaming agent" dimethylpolysiloxane, several partially hydrogenated oils, which produce trans fat.

The Filet-O-Fish is also cited in an obesity lawsuit against the company. Of course, the world's largest fast food chain does have its fans. So if you want to make the Filet-O-Fish at home, go right ahead. Just remember, when adding dimethylpolysiloxane, season to taste.

Gamblor
12-23-2005, 07:43 PM
i grew up in a family that kept a small degree of kosherness, in that we didn't eat meat unless it was strictly kosher, but fish was not a big deal.

Dudd
12-23-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
um, mcdonalds doesnt tell you what kind of meat they are using, so in essence, they are selling a "meat sandwhich". btw, im pretty sure its kangaroo meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure a "beef patty" isn't made of kangaroo.

McD's Ingredients Page (http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.ingredients.in dex.html)

mostsmooth
12-24-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure a "beef patty" isn't made of kangaroo.

McD's Ingredients Page (http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_controller.nutrition.categories.ingredients.in dex.html)

[/ QUOTE ]
keep believing everything you read on the net

tonypaladino
12-25-2005, 03:29 PM
So, I tried a Filet-O-Fish, no cheese, and with mayo instead of tartar sauce. It was surprisingly good.

mostsmooth
12-25-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i grew up in a family that kept a small degree of kosherness, in that we didn't eat meat unless it was strictly kosher, but fish was not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
hard to believe not once did you get any fries, or never picked up a filet value meal

FeliciaLee
12-25-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Next time I'm going to try that. Heck if they can put it on a Monte Cristo and make it just about the best fast food sammy in the world, it should taste good on fish.

ChipWrecked
12-27-2005, 11:02 PM
I tried this at two different McD's along I-5 in Cali during 12 hours on the road.

Good at both places. I'm sad to report though, that steamed buns are gone. That sucker takes a quantum leap in goodness off a steamed bun.